confused - ATT or Verizon

I'm a bit confused. My husband has a new job as a trucker in the 11
western-most states and Canada. I was planning on getting a Verizon plan
since it seems to have the most coverage.

However, I just talked to my sisters in Colorado and they said they had to
switch to ATT in their area because neither Sprint nor Verizon could be
picked up (just north of Colorado Springs, east of I-25).

I want the most reliable coverage & reception (no need for gadgets).

Comments?
19 answers Last reply
More about confused verizon

    I know this may sound silly, but your solution will probably be to get two
    phones. One from Verizon Wireless the other from AT&T Wireless (now a part
    of Cingular).

    The reason is that no ONE carrier in the united states truly has GOOD
    coverage. Verizon is the best overall, AT&T is the best in many areas VZW
    isn't, but again the sure-fire way to go is with two phones.

    Sorry, to be the one to break the news to you but this is the unfortunate
    reality in the United States.

    -julie

    "Peahen" <peahen@att.net> wrote in message
    > I'm a bit confused. My husband has a new job as a trucker in the 11
    > western-most states and Canada. I was planning on getting a Verizon plan
    > since it seems to have the most coverage.
    >
    > However, I just talked to my sisters in Colorado and they said they had to
    > switch to ATT in their area because neither Sprint nor Verizon could be
    > picked up (just north of Colorado Springs, east of I-25).
    >
    > I want the most reliable coverage & reception (no need for gadgets).
    >
    > Comments?

    I had a conversation with someone in the attws newsgroup
    where the person indicated that anyone can get, say a Nokia 6340i
    GAIT phone, and activate it on the GSM national plan with
    GSM, TDMA, and analog support for the same cost.

    If this is true, it's a nice possibility. You need to verify with your
    local AT&T/Cingular store to be sure. Anyway, GAIT phones
    require a special SIM to make use of TDMA/analog networks
    and additional initial programming to work. It's critical that you
    verify this information because if the rep simply sells you a GSM-only
    SIM, placing that in a GAIT phone only enables access to GSM networks.

    Anyway, yeah, GSM, TDMA and analog coverage would likely
    be very good nationally, and may still allow M2M.

    -Dan

    --
    Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
    http://cell.uoregon.edu

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:30:45 UTC, "Peahen" <peahen@att.net> wrote:

    > However, I just talked to my sisters in Colorado and they said they had to
    > switch to ATT in their area because neither Sprint nor Verizon could be
    > picked up (just north of Colorado Springs, east of I-25).

    You didn't say whether or not you were in the same area?

    How long ago did your sisters have to do this? I live north of
    Denver, travel south and east a lot, and have not had any problems
    getting good Verizon signals. I suppose it's possible if they live
    right behind a big sand dune or rocky cliff, but I've found coverage
    good all over Colorado. Just relating my experience.

    --
    Barbara

    "Barbara" <bcallen@nospam.attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:30:45 UTC, "Peahen" <peahen@att.net> wrote:
    >

    >> However, I just talked to my sisters in Colorado and they said they had
    >> switch to ATT in their area because neither Sprint nor Verizon could be
    >> picked up (just north of Colorado Springs, east of I-25).
    >>

    > You didn't say whether or not you were in the same area?

    No, in SLC. Verizon works fine here. So does my ATT (TDMA).

    > How long ago did your sisters have to do this? I live north of
    > Denver, travel south and east a lot, and have not had any problems
    > getting good Verizon signals. I suppose it's possible if they live
    > right behind a big sand dune or rocky cliff, but I've found coverage
    > good all over Colorado. Just relating my experience.

    They live in Monument. To be fair, they said Verizon works on the highway
    & in Colorado Springs, so I was surprised to hear that they couldn't get it
    in Monument (one lives only about 8 miles east of the interstate).

    Anyway, I'm leaning toward getting a Verizon family plan with IN minutes.
    Although, since they have ATT, I thought that it would be nice to have the
    same provider & the mobile to mobile minutes (not on our current-but-old
    plan)..

    My first priority is that my husband would able to call home from the most
    areas and that I would be able to reach him. He's
    technologically-impaired--cell phones, computers, VCR's, you name it--a
    neanderthal who should have been born at the beginning of the last century
    ;-) and this is the first time he's even agreed to get a cell phone. I need
    to keep things simple for him.

    That particular spot is in one of 2 Colorado counties where Verizon does not
    have a license, and it is just the western half of that (Elbert) county. A
    Verizon phone will work there, but it wouldn't be a good spot to use a
    Verizon phone on a regular basis since it is roaming. And, Cingular/AT&T
    roams in that area as well, they don't have a license there, either! So it
    is a poor spot for an example. In Colorado, Verizon covers all but 1 county
    and half of 2 others. AT&T/Verizon covers less than half of the state's
    (63) counties, and in the rest they have service only from roaming, and not
    in all of those counties.

    But in the west, Verizon is very much dominant. AT&T/Cingular will improve,
    but have a long way to go since they don't have licenses for any but the
    urbanized areas. The rest is roaming.

    But if it were me, I'd get both for the tryout period. Then you (he) will
    be convinced after 30 days. You'd never wonder, "what if".

    Bill Radio
    http://www.mountainwireless.com

    > They live in Monument. To be fair, they said Verizon works on the
    highway
    > & in Colorado Springs, so I was surprised to hear that they couldn't get
    it
    > in Monument (one lives only about 8 miles east of the interstate).

    > But in the west, Verizon is very much dominant. AT&T/Cingular will
    > improve,
    > but have a long way to go since they don't have licenses for any but the
    > urbanized areas. The rest is roaming.

    Except for northern California and southern Oregon along I-5. No Verizon
    from south of Yreka in California to between Eugene & Salem in Oregon.
    About the same along the coast as well.

    Don in Tracy, Calif.

    "Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote in message

    > But if it were me, I'd get both for the tryout period. Then you (he) will
    > be convinced after 30 days. You'd never wonder, "what if".

    Bill, when did Verizon start giving 30 day trial??

    Tom J

    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 19:45:57 UTC, "Peahen" <peahen@att.net> wrote:

    > They live in Monument. To be fair, they said Verizon works on the highway
    > & in Colorado Springs, so I was surprised to hear that they couldn't get it
    > in Monument (one lives only about 8 miles east of the interstate).

    Well, as we all know, Monument is on a hill. I admit I haven't gone
    left or right very much off I-25 through there, but depending on tower
    placement, they could be sitting in a disadvantaged location. I'll
    have to check next time I pass through.

    > He's technologically-impaired--cell phones, computers, VCR's, you name it--a
    > neanderthal who should have been born at the beginning of the last century
    > ;-) and this is the first time he's even agreed to get a cell phone. I need
    > to keep things simple for him.

    Scary things, aren't they? :)

    I travel/camp in a small RV, and have the old Single Rate National
    plan. From California to Miami, FL, I can't remember more than a
    couple of places where signals were too weak to use, and they were on
    the highest peaks or in the remotest desert areas. For the most part,
    I don't think your husband would have too many problems. I don't
    think you'll find 100 percent guarantees with any service.

    --
    Barbara

    "Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
    > That particular spot is in one of 2 Colorado counties where Verizon does
    > not
    > have a license, and it is just the western half of that (Elbert) county.
    > Verizon phone will work there, but it wouldn't be a good spot to use a
    > Verizon phone on a regular basis since it is roaming. And, Cingular/AT&T
    > roams in that area as well, they don't have a license there, either! So
    > it
    > is a poor spot for an example. In Colorado, Verizon covers all but 1
    > county
    > and half of 2 others. AT&T/Verizon covers less than half of the state's
    > (63) counties, and in the rest they have service only from roaming, and
    > not
    > in all of those counties.
    >
    > But in the west, Verizon is very much dominant. AT&T/Cingular will
    > improve,
    > but have a long way to go since they don't have licenses for any but the
    > urbanized areas. The rest is roaming.

    The nationwide plans say that there are no roaming charges. Does that mean
    no service at all in those rural areas? Forgive me for being so dumb about
    the types of carriers. I noticed that while travelling along the northern
    California coast (Bodega Bay & environs), there were many areas without
    service (roaming or otherwise) for ATT TDMA, but I figured that was because
    of the hills, moreso than the type of carrier.

    "Dan Albrich" <junkmail@shaney.uoregon.edui> wrote in message
    >I had a conversation with someone in the attws newsgroup
    > where the person indicated that anyone can get, say a Nokia 6340i
    > GAIT phone, and activate it on the GSM national plan with
    > GSM, TDMA, and analog support for the same cost.
    >
    > If this is true, it's a nice possibility. You need to verify with your
    > local AT&T/Cingular store to be sure. Anyway, GAIT phones
    > require a special SIM to make use of TDMA/analog networks
    > and additional initial programming to work. It's critical that you
    > verify this information because if the rep simply sells you a GSM-only
    > SIM, placing that in a GAIT phone only enables access to GSM networks.
    >
    > Anyway, yeah, GSM, TDMA and analog coverage would likely
    > be very good nationally, and may still allow M2M.
    >
    > -Dan

    I would try it, but honestly don't want to confuse my husband. If it takes
    too much thought and reading, he prefers not to bother.

    "RVerDon" <anynews@comcast.net> wrote in message

    >> But in the west, Verizon is very much dominant. AT&T/Cingular will
    >> improve,
    >> but have a long way to go since they don't have licenses for any but the
    >> urbanized areas. The rest is roaming.
    >>
    > Except for northern California and southern Oregon along I-5. No Verizon
    > from south of Yreka in California to between Eugene & Salem in Oregon.
    > About the same along the coast as well.
    >
    > Don in Tracy, Calif.

    What carriers cover that area, if any?

    RVerDon wrote:
    > Except for northern California and southern Oregon along I-5. No Verizon
    > from south of Yreka in California to between Eugene & Salem in Oregon.
    > About the same along the coast as well.

    Nothing along CA's northern border? *Still?*

    **shaking head**

    >> from south of Yreka in California to between Eugene & Salem in Oregon.
    >> About the same along the coast as well.
    >
    > What carriers cover that area, if any?

    In south western Oregon, you have US Cellular and Ramcell (DBA Litchfield
    Cellular) as the A and B sides. In the PCS bands you have Sprint, T Mobile,
    and EdgeWireless- AT&T affiliate (I5 to the border, then likely a break in
    service until Yreka). Verizon prefers Ramcell. AT&T roams on
    EdgeWireless. Incidentally Rural Cellular Coproration (AKA Cellular One
    NW) has licenses in southern Oregon, just not in the counties that include
    I5.

    Once you cross the border you have Cal North Wireless and US Cellular.
    Probably no other carriers in that area until Yreka. T-Mobile's map seems to
    indicate complete GSM coverage of I5 at this point, so they may have it all
    covered. Of course the odd part being that T-Mobile has the least coverage
    off I5 in those areas. Note too that while an AT&T GSM phone will not roam
    on T-Mobile say in Eugene or Portland, it will roam on T-Mobile as needed in
    southern Oregon (which seems to give the GSM folks the advantage if all
    you're talking about is I5).

    It's kind of a mess in the sense that even US Cellular who would appear to
    have continuous coverage really doesn't, and they flip from B-A bands
    between the states on I5.

    -Dan

    --
    Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
    http://cell.uoregon.edu

    Oregon along I-5. No Verizon

    "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message

    > "Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> But if it were me, I'd get both for the tryout period. Then you (he)
    >> will
    >> be convinced after 30 days. You'd never wonder, "what if".
    >
    > Bill, when did Verizon start giving 30 day trial??
    >
    > Tom J

    I just upgraded to a CDM-9900 and renewed my contract for another two years
    last Saturday evening. ONE of the questions was about the phone trial
    period. I was told 15 days on the phone ... but I don't know if that
    applied also to a change in service plans. Hmmm.
    --

    - Philip

    Philip wrote:
    > "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> But if it were me, I'd get both for the tryout period. Then you
    >>> (he) will
    >>> be convinced after 30 days. You'd never wonder, "what if".
    >>
    >> Bill, when did Verizon start giving 30 day trial??
    >>
    >> Tom J
    >
    > I just upgraded to a CDM-9900 and renewed my contract for another two
    > years last Saturday evening. ONE of the questions was about the
    > phone trial period. I was told 15 days on the phone ... but I don't
    > know if that applied also to a change in service plans. Hmmm.

    You can revert to whatever you had before a plan change (even if
    it's not currently offered) within 30 days. Equipment is 15 days.

    -Quick

    > RVerDon wrote:
    >> Except for northern California and southern Oregon along I-5. No Verizon
    >> from south of Yreka in California to between Eugene & Salem in Oregon.
    >> About the same along the coast as well.
    >
    > Nothing along CA's northern border? *Still?*
    >
    > **shaking head**

    Maybe the OP's phone does not have analog?

    Philip wrote:
    > "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>RVerDon wrote:
    >>
    >>>Except for northern California and southern Oregon along I-5. No Verizon
    >>>from south of Yreka in California to between Eugene & Salem in Oregon.
    >>>About the same along the coast as well.
    >>
    >>Nothing along CA's northern border? *Still?*
    >>
    >>**shaking head**
    >
    > Maybe the OP's phone does not have analog?

    I forget who it was who continually had problems with the inability to use CDMA
    due to Verizon's failure to play nice with US Cellular in Lake and Mendocino
    Counties in California. It was pretty stupid.

    Apparently they never did come to any roaming agreement up there. It's been at
    least a few years now.

    Hey Peahen

    Julie has it right and I've done 2 phones for 5 years. ATTWS, now Cingular
    give me lots of time, M2M, early off peak and lower cost. Verizon give me
    less time, more coverage, analog when wanted. Southern and coastal Oregon
    is not one of those GSM good coverage areas. in fact once you leave the
    populated areas, GSM will be dark before the rest. It all depends what your
    budget is.

    If I was looking today, Sprint Free & Clear America has potential since off
    network roaming is now reasonably charged. No one will have coverage
    everywhere you go. US highway 12 in Idaho, for example, requires satellite
    phone. And if you go satellite, go Verizon since they co-reside on the same
    phone.

    If you need a Canada calling plan, Verizon still have and ATTWS did and
    still might. All depends on your budget

    "Julie Ruin" <julieruin@mixmail.com> wrote in message
    >I know this may sound silly, but your solution will probably be to get two
    >phones. One from Verizon Wireless the other from AT&T Wireless (now a part
    >of Cingular).
    >
    > The reason is that no ONE carrier in the united states truly has GOOD
    > coverage. Verizon is the best overall, AT&T is the best in many areas VZW
    > isn't, but again the sure-fire way to go is with two phones.
    >
    > Sorry, to be the one to break the news to you but this is the unfortunate
    > reality in the United States.
    >
    > -julie
    >
    > "Peahen" <peahen@att.net> wrote in message
    >> I'm a bit confused. My husband has a new job as a trucker in the 11
    >> western-most states and Canada. I was planning on getting a Verizon plan
    >> since it seems to have the most coverage.
    >>
    >> However, I just talked to my sisters in Colorado and they said they had
    >> to switch to ATT in their area because neither Sprint nor Verizon could
    >> be picked up (just north of Colorado Springs, east of I-25).
    >>
    >> I want the most reliable coverage & reception (no need for gadgets).
    >>
    >> Comments?

    Tom,
    There were some underlying assumptions here. I would guess that a side by
    side comparison would show at least a slight edge to Verizon, and it would
    be the AT&T phone that would be taken back at the end of IT'S tryout period,
    which is 30 days.

    -Bill

    "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message

    > Bill, when did Verizon start giving 30 day trial??

Verizon At&T Internet Service Providers