confused - ATT or Verizon

Last response: in Network Providers
November 28, 2004 8:30:45 PM

I'm a bit confused. My husband has a new job as a trucker in the 11
western-most states and Canada. I was planning on getting a Verizon plan
since it seems to have the most coverage.

However, I just talked to my sisters in Colorado and they said they had to
switch to ATT in their area because neither Sprint nor Verizon could be
picked up (just north of Colorado Springs, east of I-25).

I want the most reliable coverage & reception (no need for gadgets).

Comments?

More about : confused att verizon

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 8:30:46 PM

I know this may sound silly, but your solution will probably be to get two
phones. One from Verizon Wireless the other from AT&T Wireless (now a part
of Cingular).

The reason is that no ONE carrier in the united states truly has GOOD
coverage. Verizon is the best overall, AT&T is the best in many areas VZW
isn't, but again the sure-fire way to go is with two phones.

Sorry, to be the one to break the news to you but this is the unfortunate
reality in the United States.

-julie

"Peahen" <peahen@att.net> wrote in message
> I'm a bit confused. My husband has a new job as a trucker in the 11
> western-most states and Canada. I was planning on getting a Verizon plan
> since it seems to have the most coverage.
>
> However, I just talked to my sisters in Colorado and they said they had to
> switch to ATT in their area because neither Sprint nor Verizon could be
> picked up (just north of Colorado Springs, east of I-25).
>
> I want the most reliable coverage & reception (no need for gadgets).
>
> Comments?

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 9:07:44 PM

I had a conversation with someone in the attws newsgroup
where the person indicated that anyone can get, say a Nokia 6340i
GAIT phone, and activate it on the GSM national plan with
GSM, TDMA, and analog support for the same cost.

If this is true, it's a nice possibility. You need to verify with your
local AT&T/Cingular store to be sure. Anyway, GAIT phones
require a special SIM to make use of TDMA/analog networks
and additional initial programming to work. It's critical that you
verify this information because if the rep simply sells you a GSM-only
SIM, placing that in a GAIT phone only enables access to GSM networks.

Anyway, yeah, GSM, TDMA and analog coverage would likely
be very good nationally, and may still allow M2M.

-Dan

--
Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:30:45 UTC, "Peahen" <peahen@att.net> wrote:

> However, I just talked to my sisters in Colorado and they said they had to
> switch to ATT in their area because neither Sprint nor Verizon could be
> picked up (just north of Colorado Springs, east of I-25).

You didn't say whether or not you were in the same area?

How long ago did your sisters have to do this? I live north of
Denver, travel south and east a lot, and have not had any problems
getting good Verizon signals. I suppose it's possible if they live
right behind a big sand dune or rocky cliff, but I've found coverage
good all over Colorado. Just relating my experience.

--
Barbara
Anonymous

"Barbara" <bcallen@nospam.attglobal.net> wrote in message
news:D eXnHmMUzXdD-pn2-J9ZlBdnfX2zv@localhost...
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 17:30:45 UTC, "Peahen" <peahen@att.net> wrote:
>

>> However, I just talked to my sisters in Colorado and they said they had
>> switch to ATT in their area because neither Sprint nor Verizon could be
>> picked up (just north of Colorado Springs, east of I-25).
>>

> You didn't say whether or not you were in the same area?

No, in SLC. Verizon works fine here. So does my ATT (TDMA).

> How long ago did your sisters have to do this? I live north of
> Denver, travel south and east a lot, and have not had any problems
> getting good Verizon signals. I suppose it's possible if they live
> right behind a big sand dune or rocky cliff, but I've found coverage
> good all over Colorado. Just relating my experience.

They live in Monument. To be fair, they said Verizon works on the highway
& in Colorado Springs, so I was surprised to hear that they couldn't get it
in Monument (one lives only about 8 miles east of the interstate).

Anyway, I'm leaning toward getting a Verizon family plan with IN minutes.
Although, since they have ATT, I thought that it would be nice to have the
same provider & the mobile to mobile minutes (not on our current-but-old
plan)..

My first priority is that my husband would able to call home from the most
areas and that I would be able to reach him. He's
technologically-impaired--cell phones, computers, VCR's, you name it--a
neanderthal who should have been born at the beginning of the last century
;-) and this is the first time he's even agreed to get a cell phone. I need
to keep things simple for him.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 11:32:06 PM

That particular spot is in one of 2 Colorado counties where Verizon does not
have a license, and it is just the western half of that (Elbert) county. A
Verizon phone will work there, but it wouldn't be a good spot to use a
Verizon phone on a regular basis since it is roaming. And, Cingular/AT&T
roams in that area as well, they don't have a license there, either! So it
is a poor spot for an example. In Colorado, Verizon covers all but 1 county
and half of 2 others. AT&T/Verizon covers less than half of the state's
(63) counties, and in the rest they have service only from roaming, and not
in all of those counties.

But in the west, Verizon is very much dominant. AT&T/Cingular will improve,
but have a long way to go since they don't have licenses for any but the
urbanized areas. The rest is roaming.

But if it were me, I'd get both for the tryout period. Then you (he) will
be convinced after 30 days. You'd never wonder, "what if".

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

> They live in Monument. To be fair, they said Verizon works on the
highway
> & in Colorado Springs, so I was surprised to hear that they couldn't get
it
> in Monument (one lives only about 8 miles east of the interstate).

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 1:45:28 AM

> But in the west, Verizon is very much dominant. AT&T/Cingular will
> improve,
> but have a long way to go since they don't have licenses for any but the
> urbanized areas. The rest is roaming.

Except for northern California and southern Oregon along I-5. No Verizon
from south of Yreka in California to between Eugene & Salem in Oregon.
About the same along the coast as well.

Don in Tracy, Calif.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 2:55:13 AM

"Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote in message

> But if it were me, I'd get both for the tryout period. Then you (he) will
> be convinced after 30 days. You'd never wonder, "what if".

Bill, when did Verizon start giving 30 day trial??

Tom J
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 3:12:56 AM

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 19:45:57 UTC, "Peahen" <peahen@att.net> wrote:

> They live in Monument. To be fair, they said Verizon works on the highway
> & in Colorado Springs, so I was surprised to hear that they couldn't get it
> in Monument (one lives only about 8 miles east of the interstate).

Well, as we all know, Monument is on a hill. I admit I haven't gone
left or right very much off I-25 through there, but depending on tower
placement, they could be sitting in a disadvantaged location. I'll
have to check next time I pass through.

> He's technologically-impaired--cell phones, computers, VCR's, you name it--a
> neanderthal who should have been born at the beginning of the last century
> ;-) and this is the first time he's even agreed to get a cell phone. I need
> to keep things simple for him.

Scary things, aren't they? :)

I travel/camp in a small RV, and have the old Single Rate National
plan. From California to Miami, FL, I can't remember more than a
couple of places where signals were too weak to use, and they were on
the highest peaks or in the remotest desert areas. For the most part,
I don't think your husband would have too many problems. I don't
think you'll find 100 percent guarantees with any service.

--
Barbara
Anonymous

"Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
> That particular spot is in one of 2 Colorado counties where Verizon does
> not
> have a license, and it is just the western half of that (Elbert) county.
> Verizon phone will work there, but it wouldn't be a good spot to use a
> Verizon phone on a regular basis since it is roaming. And, Cingular/AT&T
> roams in that area as well, they don't have a license there, either! So
> it
> is a poor spot for an example. In Colorado, Verizon covers all but 1
> county
> and half of 2 others. AT&T/Verizon covers less than half of the state's
> (63) counties, and in the rest they have service only from roaming, and
> not
> in all of those counties.
>
> But in the west, Verizon is very much dominant. AT&T/Cingular will
> improve,
> but have a long way to go since they don't have licenses for any but the
> urbanized areas. The rest is roaming.

The nationwide plans say that there are no roaming charges. Does that mean
no service at all in those rural areas? Forgive me for being so dumb about
the types of carriers. I noticed that while travelling along the northern
California coast (Bodega Bay & environs), there were many areas without
service (roaming or otherwise) for ATT TDMA, but I figured that was because
of the hills, moreso than the type of carrier.

> But if it were me, I'd get both for the tryout period. Then you (he) will
> be convinced after 30 days. You'd never wonder, "what if".
>
> Bill Radio
> Click for Western U.S. Wireless Reviews at:
> http://www.mountainwireless.com
>

> "Peahen" <peahen@att.net> wrote in message
>>

>> They live in Monument. To be fair, they said Verizon works on the
> highway
>> & in Colorado Springs, so I was surprised to hear that they couldn't get
> it
>> in Monument (one lives only about 8 miles east of the interstate).

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 10:25:02 AM

"Dan Albrich" <junkmail@shaney.uoregon.edui> wrote in message
>I had a conversation with someone in the attws newsgroup
> where the person indicated that anyone can get, say a Nokia 6340i
> GAIT phone, and activate it on the GSM national plan with
> GSM, TDMA, and analog support for the same cost.
>
> If this is true, it's a nice possibility. You need to verify with your
> local AT&T/Cingular store to be sure. Anyway, GAIT phones
> require a special SIM to make use of TDMA/analog networks
> and additional initial programming to work. It's critical that you
> verify this information because if the rep simply sells you a GSM-only
> SIM, placing that in a GAIT phone only enables access to GSM networks.
>
> Anyway, yeah, GSM, TDMA and analog coverage would likely
> be very good nationally, and may still allow M2M.
>
> -Dan

I would try it, but honestly don't want to confuse my husband. If it takes
too much thought and reading, he prefers not to bother.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 10:25:34 AM

"RVerDon" <anynews@comcast.net> wrote in message

>> But in the west, Verizon is very much dominant. AT&T/Cingular will
>> improve,
>> but have a long way to go since they don't have licenses for any but the
>> urbanized areas. The rest is roaming.
>>
> Except for northern California and southern Oregon along I-5. No Verizon
> from south of Yreka in California to between Eugene & Salem in Oregon.
> About the same along the coast as well.
>
> Don in Tracy, Calif.

What carriers cover that area, if any?
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 11:00:04 AM

RVerDon wrote:
> Except for northern California and southern Oregon along I-5. No Verizon
> from south of Yreka in California to between Eugene & Salem in Oregon.
> About the same along the coast as well.

Nothing along CA's northern border? *Still?*

**shaking head**

November 29, 2004 12:30:22 PM

>> from south of Yreka in California to between Eugene & Salem in Oregon.
>> About the same along the coast as well.
>
> What carriers cover that area, if any?

In south western Oregon, you have US Cellular and Ramcell (DBA Litchfield
Cellular) as the A and B sides. In the PCS bands you have Sprint, T Mobile,
and EdgeWireless- AT&T affiliate (I5 to the border, then likely a break in
service until Yreka). Verizon prefers Ramcell. AT&T roams on
EdgeWireless. Incidentally Rural Cellular Coproration (AKA Cellular One
NW) has licenses in southern Oregon, just not in the counties that include
I5.

Once you cross the border you have Cal North Wireless and US Cellular.
Probably no other carriers in that area until Yreka. T-Mobile's map seems to
indicate complete GSM coverage of I5 at this point, so they may have it all
covered. Of course the odd part being that T-Mobile has the least coverage
off I5 in those areas. Note too that while an AT&T GSM phone will not roam
on T-Mobile say in Eugene or Portland, it will roam on T-Mobile as needed in
southern Oregon (which seems to give the GSM folks the advantage if all
you're talking about is I5).

It's kind of a mess in the sense that even US Cellular who would appear to
have continuous coverage really doesn't, and they flip from B-A bands
between the states on I5.

-Dan

--
Eugene, Oregon -- Pacific Northwest
http://cell.uoregon.edu

Oregon along I-5. No Verizon

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 7:08:58 PM

"Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message

> "Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
>
>> But if it were me, I'd get both for the tryout period. Then you (he)
>> will
>> be convinced after 30 days. You'd never wonder, "what if".
>
> Bill, when did Verizon start giving 30 day trial??
>
> Tom J

I just upgraded to a CDM-9900 and renewed my contract for another two years
last Saturday evening. ONE of the questions was about the phone trial
period. I was told 15 days on the phone ... but I don't know if that
applied also to a change in service plans. Hmmm.
--

- Philip
Anonymous

Philip wrote:
> "Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Bill Radio" <Wireless@MountainWirelessNOSPAN.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> But if it were me, I'd get both for the tryout period. Then you
>>> (he) will
>>> be convinced after 30 days. You'd never wonder, "what if".
>>
>> Bill, when did Verizon start giving 30 day trial??
>>
>> Tom J
>
> I just upgraded to a CDM-9900 and renewed my contract for another two
> years last Saturday evening. ONE of the questions was about the
> phone trial period. I was told 15 days on the phone ... but I don't
> know if that applied also to a change in service plans. Hmmm.

You can revert to whatever you had before a plan change (even if
it's not currently offered) within 30 days. Equipment is 15 days.

-Quick
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 7:47:42 PM

> RVerDon wrote:
>> Except for northern California and southern Oregon along I-5. No Verizon
>> from south of Yreka in California to between Eugene & Salem in Oregon.
>> About the same along the coast as well.
>
> Nothing along CA's northern border? *Still?*
>
> **shaking head**

Maybe the OP's phone does not have analog?
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 7:47:43 PM

Philip wrote:
> "Steve Sobol" <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message
>
>>RVerDon wrote:
>>
>>>Except for northern California and southern Oregon along I-5. No Verizon
>>>from south of Yreka in California to between Eugene & Salem in Oregon.
>>>About the same along the coast as well.
>>
>>Nothing along CA's northern border? *Still?*
>>
>>**shaking head**
>
> Maybe the OP's phone does not have analog?

I forget who it was who continually had problems with the inability to use CDMA
due to Verizon's failure to play nice with US Cellular in Lake and Mendocino
Counties in California. It was pretty stupid.

Apparently they never did come to any roaming agreement up there. It's been at
least a few years now.

November 29, 2004 10:03:44 PM

Hey Peahen

Julie has it right and I've done 2 phones for 5 years. ATTWS, now Cingular
give me lots of time, M2M, early off peak and lower cost. Verizon give me
less time, more coverage, analog when wanted. Southern and coastal Oregon
is not one of those GSM good coverage areas. in fact once you leave the
populated areas, GSM will be dark before the rest. It all depends what your
budget is.

If I was looking today, Sprint Free & Clear America has potential since off
network roaming is now reasonably charged. No one will have coverage
everywhere you go. US highway 12 in Idaho, for example, requires satellite
phone. And if you go satellite, go Verizon since they co-reside on the same
phone.

If you need a Canada calling plan, Verizon still have and ATTWS did and
still might. All depends on your budget

"Julie Ruin" <julieruin@mixmail.com> wrote in message
>I know this may sound silly, but your solution will probably be to get two
>phones. One from Verizon Wireless the other from AT&T Wireless (now a part
>of Cingular).
>
> The reason is that no ONE carrier in the united states truly has GOOD
> coverage. Verizon is the best overall, AT&T is the best in many areas VZW
> isn't, but again the sure-fire way to go is with two phones.
>
> Sorry, to be the one to break the news to you but this is the unfortunate
> reality in the United States.
>
> -julie
>
> "Peahen" <peahen@att.net> wrote in message
>> I'm a bit confused. My husband has a new job as a trucker in the 11
>> western-most states and Canada. I was planning on getting a Verizon plan
>> since it seems to have the most coverage.
>>
>> However, I just talked to my sisters in Colorado and they said they had
>> to switch to ATT in their area because neither Sprint nor Verizon could
>> be picked up (just north of Colorado Springs, east of I-25).
>>
>> I want the most reliable coverage & reception (no need for gadgets).
>>
>> Comments?

Anonymous
December 2, 2004 2:12:01 AM

Tom,
There were some underlying assumptions here. I would guess that a side by
side comparison would show at least a slight edge to Verizon, and it would
be the AT&T phone that would be taken back at the end of IT'S tryout period,
which is 30 days.

-Bill

!