Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I have a product key, but no clue what it goes to...

Last response: in Windows 7
September 28, 2010 8:34:21 PM

I was cleaning my desk this morning and I came across a yellow/white Microsoft Product Key sticker (No CD/DVD... just the label/sticker). It doesn't say what product it is for... it just says "Microsoft" and has "X12--22652" in the lower right corner. (along with the 25 letter/number key)

I haven't really, really, cleaned my desk for about 8 months, and I do not remember what the product key goes to.

I have installed hardware, retail OSs (Windows Vista and 7), and other retail programs (MS Office) for about 7 different people within that time, so knowing what product the key goes to will help me get it to the rightful owner, hopefully.

I know there are ways to find keys on their PCs, but these people basically do not trust themselves to do anything on their own PC. And I would like to not have to drive all over town and out of town in order to check their PCs to see if it belongs to one of them. It would be so much easier to narrow it down.

Is there a site (or legit program) that would tell me what the product key goes to? Even if there is some way of looking up the serial/product key by using the first 5 or last 5 of the key...

My best guess would be that it was from either Windows 7 or MS Office, but I need to know 100%. Also knowing if it was Office 2007, Vista Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, etc... would be great too.

I tried going to Microsoft's website but I can not figure out how to get to an online chat session without knowing what product I am talking about... and even just picking one only took me to the knowledgebase... Where is the live support there?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : product key clue

a c 352 $ Windows 7
September 28, 2010 9:51:23 PM

I really don't have an answer aside from mayba contacting MS.. but this is a very interesting question. Having a product key and finding out what it goes to.

I do remember that some of the MS Select programs I have have yellow product stickers but that does not help with identifying the product it goes to.

The issue with getting a 3rd party program to do this from just the key is that a program like that can easily have a capability of generating random usable keys for the products.
Score
September 28, 2010 10:29:09 PM

call up MS via phone and ask.

see if they can help to identify
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
September 28, 2010 11:49:44 PM

Could be Office Home & Student 2007
Product Key is on yellow/orange Proof of Licence label inside plastic box.

Aside from the produt key and 'see licences terms. label not to be sold seperately', the only other markings are:
- FPP
- 00405 1562512 79G-00007
- X12-22652
End quote
http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/genuineoffice/...
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 28, 2010 11:53:02 PM

A photo of the key might be helpful. OEM stickers usually state what they are for right on the sticker while retail stickers usually only have a key.
Score
September 29, 2010 2:13:04 AM

Zoron said:
A photo of the key might be helpful. OEM stickers usually state what they are for right on the sticker while retail stickers usually only have a key.

Uh huh... :D 

This isn't the normal sticker that you see on a PC case or on the OEM plastic covers of the manuals.

This label/sticker looks just like the yellow stickers that are inside my Windows 7 DVD case, so my guess is it could be for anything that used those type of cases. The big thing is the sticker in my Win 7 DVD case is stuck on paper, while the unknown sticker is just on a piece of thick plastic (looks like it use to be on a case).

Score
September 29, 2010 2:46:14 AM

RetiredChief said:
Could be Office Home & Student 2007
Product Key is on yellow/orange Proof of Licence label inside plastic box.

Aside from the produt key and 'see licences terms. label not to be sold seperately', the only other markings are:
- FPP
- 00405 1562512 79G-00007
- X12-22652
End quote
http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/genuineoffice/...

I am starting to think it is probably Office something, because like I said above, it's actually on plastic and not paper like my Windows 7 DVD case's sticker.

But here is the kicker... even my Windows 7 sticker says, "X12-22652" on the lower right corner.

I am not going to upload a picture of it for obvious reasons (unless I just edit out the product key), but I will tell you what it looks like.

(periods are just spacers to align everything)

|.................................................................................................|
|........ Proof of License. See license terms. ............................. |
| ....... Label not to be sold separately. ................. X12-22652 |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully that will turn out right.

Score
April 8, 2013 10:50:43 AM

I am reseller and have both YELLOW STICKERS THAT COMES WITH pkc Products
The number you say is for Office 2010 PKc ,but you must look for another number on the yelloy sticker and is X16-07589 FOR OFFICE 2010 PROFESSIONAL and X16-08832 FOR OFFICE 2010 HOME AND BUSINESS PKC.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
April 8, 2013 11:12:04 AM

Umm, thanks, but this tread has been inactive more than two years and has now been necro'ed
Score
!