Sign in with
Your question

Easy quick question

Last response: in Motherboards
September 3, 2001 9:06:07 PM

Dumb question:
What happens if you plug in a CPU that is faster than the motherboard can recognise but it can handle (The motherboard can handle higher clock multipliers than the CPU takes but it does not officially recognise it). For example if I put an Athlon 1.4GHz in a motherboard where the BIOS only recognised up to 1.2GHz properly. Would it boot and be stable for long enough that I could flash the BIOS to the latest version?

Thanks

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
— Leonardo DaVinci

More about : easy quick question

September 4, 2001 12:17:37 AM

OK, maybe it isn't that easy. Any ideas? Someone must have done it!

— Leonardo DaVinci
September 4, 2001 12:38:39 AM

Snap, Krackle, Pop if the Core Voltage is too high, if not unstable as water.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men
Related resources
September 4, 2001 2:05:02 AM

I'm taling about Thunderbirds. The 1.4GHz and 1.2GHz have the same voltage (if not the 1.4GHz would be higher) so voltage wouldnt be an issue would it?

How else are you supposed to flash a BIOS. Buy two chips??!?? One to run and a slower one so you can upgrade the BIOS. That is maddness!!!

— Leonardo DaVinci
September 4, 2001 2:49:55 AM

Hummm... my bet is that it would run. Probably wouldn't hurt to try it. I think the multiplier would be the only issue. If the chip was unlocked, it might just run slower at the 1.2 speed. Does the mobo support the 266 FSB of the 1.4 Gig Athlon? I suppose it might just run slower on the 200 FSB.

At any rate, if it doesn't work, then yes, you need to borrow another processor so you can flash the BIOS. Why did you buy a chip that won't run in your board out of the box?

Scout
September 4, 2001 6:22:13 AM

It would definetly work and run as stabil as a normal 1.2 Ghz. The only problem is that the mobo does not make use of the last 200 Mhz. You can run the comp as a normal 1.2 Ghz so don't worry. I tried it with my K6-2 where the motherboard only ran a 500 Mhz CPU at 350 Mhz. It was never a problem in the 3 weeks that I used the system at only 350 Mhz. After I flashed the BIOS the system ran fine at 500 Mhz too.
September 4, 2001 2:42:41 PM

You should be able to flash the BIOS with the 1.2 Ghz installed then upgrade to the 1.4 GHz if you M/B chipset supports the 1.4 GHz CPU. But, maybe I am misunderstanding your post.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men
September 4, 2001 5:36:00 PM

Thanks. Just one question. Is your K6-2 multiplier locked?

— Leonardo DaVinci
September 4, 2001 5:40:51 PM

Sorry. I would only have the 1.4GHz CPU, the motherboard supports 1.2GHz out of the box but can go higher. Its an Asus A7M266

— Leonardo DaVinci
September 4, 2001 5:58:17 PM

The motherboard supports multipliers above x14 and a FSB of 133 (266DDR). I bought the board as there are too few boards (if any) which support 1.4GHz out of the box. They all seem to be 1.2GHz+

— Leonardo DaVinci
September 4, 2001 6:14:14 PM

Quote:
if not unstable as water.

What? Water is perfectly stable, I walk on it all the time.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>
September 4, 2001 8:19:20 PM

I think so! The thing is that multiplier locked CPU's can be "downclocked" to whatever you like. A 1400 Mhz Athlon can run at 700 Mhz or lower if you put it in a motherboard that supports it! No problem there. In my case I just had a 500 Mhz AMD K6-2 but my motherboard only supported 350 Mhz without a new BIOS. When I installed the CPU the motherboard just found a K6-2 350 Mhz not a 500 as it really was. When I flashed the BIOS the motherboard ran the CPU at 500 Mhz like it should. So my problem was very much like yours. You can easily install the new 1400 Mhz CPU and run it at 1200 Mhz until you flash a new BIOS onto the board.

My name is Jond, Bames Jond.

My ACPI incompatible network adapter killed my SB Live!
September 4, 2001 8:44:30 PM

Ok. Thanks. I didn't realise that lockes CPUs could use a slower multiplier. Is that the case with all CPUs or just Athlons

— Leonardo DaVinci
September 6, 2001 6:01:09 AM

I think it's the case with all CPU's. Think of it. If you buy a new motor for your car which can reach a top speed of 200 Mph. You don't have to drive that fast all the time! :-)

My name is Jond, Bames Jond.

My ACPI incompatible network adapter killed my SB Live!
September 6, 2001 11:14:23 AM

Use the jumpers and set fsb at 100 MHz. It´ll run at 1050 while you flash the BIOS. And it´ll work even if your cpu is multiplier-locked.