G

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you can get the motherboard to run stably at 83MHz, (83.3MHz actually), you can run the 500 in it. Simply set the multiplier to 2x, that is interpreted by the CPU as 6x, and 6x83.3=500! You can usually run the voltage as high as 2.8v with proper cooling, so set it as close to the proper voltage as possible. I recommend a mid-sized T-Bird socket cooler for it, and yes, they do fit!

Back to you Tom...

G

It's so good talking to an expert. Thanks. Do I need to change the bios that I stated on any of them? So just put an AMD 500 in there or put a K6III . How would you have me do it. Specify CPU brand, model. Where do I buy the cooler (give exact model) that you recommend? I guess the sink and fan on the Cyrix P166 is useless for me? I'll do as you post. Your experience is priceless to me in time and failure respects.

Most of my questions are the same for my SP97-V post. Please see and respond in like.
dealmakr
P.S. these are my base systems and are used all day every day and I figured comming to an expert with old systems that everything has been tried on already would yield a pretty tried & true set-up from your archives or memory.

P.S.S. I also have a Tyan 1590S with AMD400 w/ 256k RAM (2x128) a responce like in kind would be appreciated, as I'd like to go with tried and true of past experience.

Much appreciated
dealmakr

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You should always have the most recent BIOS revision for an older board unless the newer BIOs causes problems, in which case the second newest will do. YOu simply download the newer BIOs and flash utility from Asus. I do settups like that constantly. The k6-2 500 is recommended, as the extra level of cache for the K6-III is not usually usable on earlier boards. Almost any socket Athlon cooler will work very well to keep it cool, such as the Coolermaster units, or the Thermaltake Volcano II, and even most generic coolers that size. I've also used socketed Pentium III coolers without problems. Basically most coolers with a 60mm fan will do. Most salesmen don't know what the heck is interchangable, so if your buying from a store tell them it's for a Duron 700 or something.
One other thing to note-the proper speed will not usually be reported by BIOS, this is bacause it is too old to recognize the speed (not in it's table). This does NOT affect performance, and you can double check your speed in Windows using WCPUID.

Back to you Tom...