Lagacy stuff

G

Just a bit curious but what does most of you all do with your "legacy" boards or systems??? By legacy, I mean a board and/or processor that is about 9 months to a year or more old???

I wish I had the deep pockets that some of you appear to have and wonder how you can do the "keep up with the Jones" thing with all this..

I have need of new Mobo's in 2 boxes at home and since the processors and most of the cards are still quite good and usable, apparently finding MOBO's that can use them, is now getting to be quite difficult.

Makes one wonder if the markets are dictating the life expectancy of the PC. I am still using a notebook computer thats 3 years old and works fine but some companies think I am "required" to toss it out and buy another one... Whats with that??? <grin> I'm certianly not upgrading to any of the new Windows stuff because of privacy/security issues, and so there is one less compelling reason to upgrade...

Just kind of interested in the schema of things out there with "Joe User" as far as we're all concerned...

Cheers;
Jeff

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
You have the right idea. "If it is not broke, don't fix it". As for the legacy stuff, you can resell it, trade it, reuse it, experiment with it, donate it, or simply let it become a collector's item. Their are still people who still have need for legacy stuff. If you don't believe it check out <A HREF="http://www.ebay.com" target="_new">http://www.ebay.com</A> so if you feel like an entrepreneur auction your legacy stuff as an investment for the upgrade you are desiring. Linux runs great on a PII or less. So, there is light at both ends of the tunnel.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

G

I have two machines here that the MOBO's have died on them and they had specific uses, and don't need the fastest board or processor to do what they do.

Been to EBay and bought some stuff. Problem is that a lot of that stuff on Ebay from what I've seen is pulls from somebody's trash can... They literally try and sell anything there... And if it doesn't work when you get it... too bad. Last item I bought like that (hard drive), was bad out of the box. Tried to contact the seller, and they basically vanished... with my money of course. Caveot Empture... (pardon spelling)... I didn't take latin... <grin>
I'm just on the hunt for 2 motherboards to fit these boxen. One Baby-AT, and the other can be any size ATX. I have a Pentium 233MMX chip, and another with an AMD K6-2 500. Now if I can just find "working" boards... <grrrr....>

<grin>