High end pc build running wow >5fps help!!

cbeats

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Basically I have just built a pc with the following spec:

Intel Core i5 2500k 3.30GHz @ 4.40GHZ overclocked
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Motherboard
Kingston HyperX Genesis Grey 8GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 6870 1024mb Graphics Card
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200rpm HDD
OCZ 750w PSU

The problem is, it seems to run any other game I have tried appart from wow fine. However, when I come to run wow, even in the starting areas it runs fine for about 2 mins then drops dramatically to about 2fps and I cant even move! My CPU monitor says it is running at an average of 42 C over the 4 cores and at about 2-3% useage. The GPU monitor says the graphics card is running at 57 C, fan speed about 47% and usage is sky high at 99%!

I don't know why this is happening, I do have the settings on wow maxed out but it shouldn't be a problem for this system?

Another problem is if I try run it with my monitor as the display unit, by the time I get to the character select screen, my screen just goes 1 block colour and freezes, having to reboot the pc! If I run it through a HDMI cable on my TV it will run and load fine, but like I say, the game runs so slow its unplayable and freezes at any oppertunity it gets!

Can anyone help me with this problem please? :( I've included a link to a screenshot of me running wow below:

Thank you in advance! :)

http://imageshack.us/f/820/pcproblem.png/

Richard226

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
have you tried uninstalling the graphics drivers and reinstalling the latest ones? Its sounds like the Card is either having a conflict or is on the way out (i hope its the first). I had an issue with a card once that only affected one game but then after a while started having issues with others.

I would also take the card out and clean in, check there is no dust, get some compressed gas in there as well.

cbeats

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Ok I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled the latest ones I could find, I also removed the card and cleaned it, and still no luck and yes like you said it is now affecting all games :( some start off fine for about 5 minutes and then the screen just starts to flicker and jump insanely! sometimes the GPU is reading 0% usage and sometimes 99%, the last attempt of running wow had it sat at 0% constantly but still got the same problems as before when it was maxed out

cbeats

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
I've also just run the Furmark benchmark test, here is the result if you have heard of it?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/220/furmarkresults.png/

cbeats

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
its an overclockers own make ati radeon 6870, they usually run fine in my experience but its brand new built the pc on tuesday all new components

cbeats

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Phoned overclockers and they asked me to try it with an old gfx card, and yep it worked fine, apart from being unable to process the games at high setting, but they said if that solves it they will happily send a replacement, so looks like you were right :)

Thanks for the help!