ERROR: the instruction at/the memory could not be read/wri..

Hello =)

I've searched and searched on this but so far have not
come up with the answer. A few months ago, my 6 month
old Sony computer (runnning XP Home) began popping up
error msgs like this:

The instruction at "0x77f585c0" referenced memory
at "0x00000000" The memory could not be written.

The numbers in the error message vary and occasionally
it's "the memory could not be read" instead of "written"
but in general composition it's the same message.

Then I'll get something like "IE has encountered a
problem and needs to close."

The Application involved which is sometimes mentioned
above the actual error message in the title bar of the
popup error window varies. Examples are: upd18494.exe
Application Error, or "wsftp_pro" or "iexplore.exe" may
be the specific program as another example.

"Messenger has encountered problem and needs to close."
is another one.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to these irratic
error msgs. Sometimes programs are open, sometimes this
happens with no programs actively open. When I click on
the OK button to close the popup error I never seem to
see any of the open programs close, either except maybe
IE as I recall.

Closest answer I could find on the MS site had to do
w/file-printer sharing on a network and the fix said to
turn this off, so that has been done. For awhile I
thought I was cured, but the errors are back =(

Now, this gets worse. I design web sites using
Macromedia Dreamweaver. I just did a large site that
went live over the past few days. My client was checking
over the site and reported to me today that he is now
receiving this same kind of error message when viewing
his new web site! whereby he didn't have the errors
before. Here is the one that he reported:

iexplore.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x4b61d723" referenced memory
at "0x4b61d723". The memory could not be "read". Click on
OK to terminate the program.

He is also on XP and reports he did not have this problem
on his previous web site which was a Front Page site on a
different server. I can't imagine that I could be
uploading something from my computer in my web pages that
would affect another person's computer in this fashion.

I don't know what patches, fixes or updates he may have
implemented on his XP. I can tell you that I ABSOLUTELY
REFUSE to install SP2 so that's not on my system.

There seems to be no helpful information directed
specifically at this error msg, I can only get close to
it and don't want to go trying fixes that may look
similar but don't really apply.

Can anyone help with this?

Thank you,

Deb

Your physical RAM is flaky. If you have more than one stick installed, try
alternately removing one stick at a time until the errors stop, then you
will know which stick is flaky. Another option is to run memtest86 (Google
for the latest version).

Bobby