EQ2: Being a main tank is boring

Last response: in Video Games
November 26, 2004 3:55:54 PM

I'm very new to these games so maybe i'm wrong but is the fighter/warrior
class veyr boring?

I just finished playing and for the past two hours all I did in the group
was get all the aggro and get hit. That's it, I might as well have not been
there in terms of gameplay.

I just stand there, call on enemies with shout and get hit while everyone
else kills them. Am I doing something wrong here? I thought a warrior would
be a fighter who can dish out damage with his weapons etc. I don't bother
attacking as there's no point and I need to keep my power for using shout
etc.

After playing this character for a week I think I have made a big mistake
with this class.

I'm very tempted to start a new character and aim to be a wizard, at least
then I will be able to kill some things.

More about : eq2 main tank boring

Anonymous
November 26, 2004 3:55:55 PM

"Cheddar" <whatnoemail@me.net> wrote in message
> I'm very new to these games so maybe i'm wrong but is the fighter/warrior
> class veyr boring?
>
> I just finished playing and for the past two hours all I did in the group
> was get all the aggro and get hit. That's it, I might as well have not
> been there in terms of gameplay.
>
> I just stand there, call on enemies with shout and get hit while everyone
> else kills them. Am I doing something wrong here? I thought a warrior
> would be a fighter who can dish out damage with his weapons etc. I don't
> bother attacking as there's no point and I need to keep my power for using
> shout etc.
>
> After playing this character for a week I think I have made a big mistake
> with this class.
>
> I'm very tempted to start a new character and aim to be a wizard, at least
> then I will be able to kill some things.

You might want to try a nice race car game.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 3:55:55 PM

Cheddar wrote:
> I'm very new to these games so maybe i'm wrong but is the
> fighter/warrior class veyr boring?

In my limited experience it's very dependent on what class/how many other
group members there are.

If you're in a fairly large group with a lot of casters, you might never get
more than a swing or two in. In a smallish group with just one or two
caster types, you'll get as much or more action than anybody, most likely.

And of course, to make things less boring you could always go the solo route
more often. :-)

--
chainbreaker
November 26, 2004 3:55:56 PM

EggNog wrote:
>> I'm very tempted to start a new character and aim to be a wizard, at
>> least then I will be able to kill some things.
>>

> You might want to try a nice race car game.

Classy response.

Helpful, too.
--
chainbreaker
Anonymous

Cheddar wrote:
> I'm very new to these games so maybe i'm wrong but is the fighter/warrior
> class veyr boring?

Depends on what you want to do

> I just finished playing and for the past two hours all I did in the group
> was get all the aggro and get hit. That's it, I might as well have not been
> there in terms of gameplay.

You're playing your character correctly then

> I just stand there, call on enemies with shout and get hit while everyone
> else kills them. Am I doing something wrong here? I thought a warrior would
> be a fighter who can dish out damage with his weapons etc. I don't bother
> attacking as there's no point and I need to keep my power for using shout
> etc.

I'm thinking that your not attacking is related to not doing any damage.
You will need to improve those skills as it only will get tougher later.

> After playing this character for a week I think I have made a big mistake
> with this class.
>
> I'm very tempted to start a new character and aim to be a wizard, at least
> then I will be able to kill some things.

If you go to a wizard, and started laying down too much damage, you will
see the value of a good tank! You'll have to trust me on that
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 5:45:14 PM

"chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Cheddar wrote:
>> I'm very new to these games so maybe i'm wrong but is the
>> fighter/warrior class veyr boring?
>
> In my limited experience it's very dependent on what class/how many other
> group members there are.
>
> If you're in a fairly large group with a lot of casters, you might never
> get more than a swing or two in. In a smallish group with just one or two
> caster types, you'll get as much or more action than anybody, most likely.
>
> And of course, to make things less boring you could always go the solo
> route more often. :-)

Well I was tanking in a large group (5-6), basically I spent 2hrs simply
standing still hitting shout etc, whilst everyone else ran and around and
kicked some ass.

This wasnt quite what I was looking for when I started a 'fighter'. They
should rename it 'stand still and taking a beating for the team' class ;-)

Still I do love playing EQ2, I love the various locations and the feel of
taking part in a live environment.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 5:45:15 PM

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:45:14 -0000, Cheddar wrote:

> "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> Cheddar wrote:
>>> I'm very new to these games so maybe i'm wrong but is the
>>> fighter/warrior class veyr boring?
>>
>> In my limited experience it's very dependent on what class/how many other
>> group members there are.
>>
>> If you're in a fairly large group with a lot of casters, you might never
>> get more than a swing or two in. In a smallish group with just one or two
>> caster types, you'll get as much or more action than anybody, most likely.
>>
>> And of course, to make things less boring you could always go the solo
>> route more often. :-)
>
> Well I was tanking in a large group (5-6), basically I spent 2hrs simply
> standing still hitting shout etc, whilst everyone else ran and around and
> kicked some ass.
>
> This wasnt quite what I was looking for when I started a 'fighter'. They
> should rename it 'stand still and taking a beating for the team' class ;-)
>
> Still I do love playing EQ2, I love the various locations and the feel of
> taking part in a live environment.

Welcome to the world of the fighter. They don't call 'em meat shields for
nothing. That being said, I thought this was the case with my warrior in
EQ1. If you haven't played EQ1 you won't be able to see the difference. I
now have a 13 guardian and think I'll keep him over my normal rogue route.
If you don't like what you're doing by all means start a different
character, but remember the character is what you make of it. My warrior
never just "stands around". I judiciously use specials and Ho's, I make
sure the mobs are on me and make sure the pull is handled as well as
possible so no one dies. The downside to being the tank is gearing. Just
like EQ1 the gear makes the tank - and if you're behind the curve there you
won't be as effective as you could (or should) be.
--
RJB
11/26/2004 10:20:41 AM

Doh!
--Homer Simpson
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 5:45:15 PM

A long time ago, I saw a post on this forum showing the perspective of
each of the major classes, all of whom felt their role was boring and
everyone else got to have all the fun. If anyone has it archived, 'd
like a dejanews link, but it was something like:

Fighter: Great, I get to stand here and attack/taunt/kick, while
everyone else casts cool spells.

Mage: All I get to do is spam nukes, I can't even see what's going on
with the all the blinky lights. At least fighters get to be up there
in the thick of it. And if one creatures aggroes on me, I'm dead.

Except that it was much better written.

I like my role as Crusader. Yeah, I'm a meat shield. I feel good when
I can taunt a creature off the healer and hold aggro while the rest of
the party does its job. Keeping an eye on mobs drifting off, doing my
part to bring off group HOs, and so on is fun and challenging. It's a
good role on a team -- if I fail to keep the creatures off the
healers, they'll die, then, without them, I'll die. My Crusader
abilities to ward/intervene strengthen this defensive role, and I'm
looking forward to Paladin abilites.

My main bitch is that pulling off group HOs means I can't use my own
specials as much as I'd like, but I think with better coordination and
practice, that will change. I would be more useful if I was able to do
my full damage dealing, as I do when I'm solo.
Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 5:45:16 PM

RJB wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:45:14 -0000, Cheddar wrote:
>
> > "chainbreaker" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> In my limited experience it's very dependent on what class/how many other
> >> group members there are.
> >>
> >> If you're in a fairly large group with a lot of casters, you might never
> >> get more than a swing or two in. In a smallish group with just one or two
> >> caster types, you'll get as much or more action than anybody, most likely.
> >>
> >> And of course, to make things less boring you could always go the solo
> >> route more often. :-)
> >
> > Well I was tanking in a large group (5-6), basically I spent 2hrs simply
> > standing still hitting shout etc, whilst everyone else ran and around and
> > kicked some ass.
> >
> > This wasnt quite what I was looking for when I started a 'fighter'. They
> > should rename it 'stand still and taking a beating for the team' class ;-)
> >
> > Still I do love playing EQ2, I love the various locations and the feel of
> > taking part in a live environment.
>
> Welcome to the world of the fighter. They don't call 'em meat shields for
> nothing. That being said, I thought this was the case with my warrior in
> EQ1. If you haven't played EQ1 you won't be able to see the difference. I
> now have a 13 guardian and think I'll keep him over my normal rogue route.
> If you don't like what you're doing by all means start a different
> character, but remember the character is what you make of it. My warrior
> never just "stands around". I judiciously use specials and Ho's, I make
> sure the mobs are on me and make sure the pull is handled as well as
> possible so no one dies. The downside to being the tank is gearing. Just
> like EQ1 the gear makes the tank - and if you're behind the curve there you
> won't be as effective as you could (or should) be.\

I am behind the curver a little. Yesterday I gave a guildmate a book later I saw
a price on it and was like @#$% I gave up 53 Silver! Might be getting a good box
(hope 12 slot) out of it if I can get him an alder.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 5:52:47 PM

<snip>
> I am behind the curver a little. Yesterday I gave a guildmate a book later I saw
> a price on it and was like @#$% I gave up 53 Silver! Might be getting a good box
> (hope 12 slot) out of it if I can get him an alder.

What really hurts is when you find a book you can use (*AND* afford) only
to run all the way to the sellers apartment and find it *gone*. /sniff
Shoulda kept my swashy as the main.... grrr no pathfinding!!! grr grr grr
--
RJB
11/26/2004 2:51:18 PM

Love your enemies. It really pisses them off!
--Unknown
November 26, 2004 7:35:30 PM

"Cheddar" <whatnoemail@me.net> writes:

> I'm very new to these games so maybe i'm wrong but is the fighter/warrior
> class veyr boring?
>
> I just finished playing and for the past two hours all I did in the group
> was get all the aggro and get hit. That's it, I might as well have not been
> there in terms of gameplay.
>
> I just stand there, call on enemies with shout and get hit while everyone
> else kills them. Am I doing something wrong here? I thought a warrior would
> be a fighter who can dish out damage with his weapons etc. I don't bother
> attacking as there's no point and I need to keep my power for using shout
> etc.

Well, a fighter can dish out decent damage through heroic
opportunities, some of which require special fighter-only abilities.
You can also do some halfway decent damage using your special attacks,
though it won't be close to what mages or scouts can do per attack.
You will run out of power if you constantly use your abilities, but
then so will everyone else (and they'll probably draw aggro and get
killed, too). But the primary role of the fighter is keeping the
opponent focused on them, which at this point is probably a little too
easy to do just with taunt and shout.

Personally, I don't find playing a fighter boring at all.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 7:35:31 PM

<patrik@nordebo.com> wrote in message
> "Cheddar" <whatnoemail@me.net> writes:
>
>> I'm very new to these games so maybe i'm wrong but is the fighter/warrior
>> class veyr boring?
>>
>> I just finished playing and for the past two hours all I did in the group
>> was get all the aggro and get hit. That's it, I might as well have not
>> been
>> there in terms of gameplay.
>>
>> I just stand there, call on enemies with shout and get hit while everyone
>> else kills them. Am I doing something wrong here? I thought a warrior
>> would
>> be a fighter who can dish out damage with his weapons etc. I don't bother
>> attacking as there's no point and I need to keep my power for using shout
>> etc.
>
> Well, a fighter can dish out decent damage through heroic
> opportunities, some of which require special fighter-only abilities.
> You can also do some halfway decent damage using your special attacks,
> though it won't be close to what mages or scouts can do per attack.
> You will run out of power if you constantly use your abilities, but
> then so will everyone else (and they'll probably draw aggro and get
> killed, too). But the primary role of the fighter is keeping the
> opponent focused on them, which at this point is probably a little too
> easy to do just with taunt and shout.
>
> Personally, I don't find playing a fighter boring at all.

I didnt know scouts did a huge amount of damage. Coming from playing
standard RPG's like Baldurs Gate I always think of scouts as quick thief
like players that dont do much damage but can come in handy disarming traps
and scouting ahead.

I really can't decide what to do at the moment, though reading what you
wrote it seems the scout class maybe what I am looking for.

Is a half-elven/elven scout too cliched :-)
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 8:19:17 PM

"Cheddar" <whatnoemail@me.net> wrote in message
> I'm very new to these games so maybe i'm wrong but is the fighter/warrior
> class veyr boring?
>
> I just finished playing and for the past two hours all I did in the group
> was get all the aggro and get hit. That's it, I might as well have not been
> there in terms of gameplay.
>
> I just stand there, call on enemies with shout and get hit while everyone
> else kills them. Am I doing something wrong here? I thought a warrior would
> be a fighter who can dish out damage with his weapons etc. I don't bother
> attacking as there's no point and I need to keep my power for using shout
> etc.

Also, keep in mind that there are 6 variations of fighter. If you want a
character that dishes out more melee damage than a Guardian / Paladin / SK,
there is always the option to go Beserker / Monk / (evil monk).

If you've already chosen warrior, bezerker is still available. You won't get
quite as heavy armor as a guardian, but you'll get all kinds of damage
attacks.

> After playing this character for a week I think I have made a big mistake
> with this class.
>
> I'm very tempted to start a new character and aim to be a wizard, at least
> then I will be able to kill some things.

If you're interested in huge damage, then you might be happier as a scout or
mage archtype. You'll lose a lot of survivability, but gain a bunch of
damage.

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk

Dearic - Dwarven Warlord on E'ci
Talynne - Half Elf Assassin on E'ci
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 8:36:47 PM

> I didnt know scouts did a huge amount of damage. Coming from playing
> standard RPG's like Baldurs Gate I always think of scouts as quick thief
> like players that dont do much damage but can come in handy disarming traps
> and scouting ahead.

At least in EQ1, backstab > all. I haven't had the chance to do much group
playing on my rouge here, but I wouldn't expect it to be much different. As
long as t he rogue / assassin can stay behind the mob, they can do huge
damage.

> I really can't decide what to do at the moment, though reading what you
> wrote it seems the scout class maybe what I am looking for.

If you want big melee damage with some (barely any) tanking ability, scout is
your class. Swashbuckler, Brigand and especially Assassin should all be very
high damage melee classes. Ranger should be a very high damage mixed (range /
melee) class.

They should all be higher damage than even a bezerker, but the bezerker
probably can survive being hit on better, and doesn't require a tank to do his
damage, since it can be done from the front as well as the rear.

Or you mentioned casting classes. All of the casters except the enchanter
type should be very high damage. But if they get aggro, watch out... they'll
die fast. Nobody really knows at this point whether casting will end up being
more damage than melee. Both are possible.

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk
Dearic - Dwarven Shaman on Guk

Dearic - Dwarven Warlord on E'ci
Talynne - Half Elf Assassin on E'ci
November 26, 2004 9:00:40 PM

"Cheddar" <whatnoemail@me.net> writes:

> I didnt know scouts did a huge amount of damage. Coming from playing
> standard RPG's like Baldurs Gate I always think of scouts as quick thief
> like players that dont do much damage but can come in handy disarming traps
> and scouting ahead.

I don't know if they do that much damage - their various forms of
sneak attacks do a lot of damage per hit, but they can't use them all
that often, I think. I never played a scout beyond level 4 or 5 so
I'm clueless. :-)
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 9:00:41 PM

patrik@nordebo.com wrote:

> "Cheddar" <whatnoemail@me.net> writes:
>
> > I didnt know scouts did a huge amount of damage. Coming from playing
> > standard RPG's like Baldurs Gate I always think of scouts as quick thief
> > like players that dont do much damage but can come in handy disarming traps
> > and scouting ahead.
>
> I don't know if they do that much damage - their various forms of
> sneak attacks do a lot of damage per hit, but they can't use them all
> that often, I think. I never played a scout beyond level 4 or 5 so
> I'm clueless. :-)

If you look at the current top ten highest hits caused by a melee hit that are
all Assassins:

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/en/player_swrankings...
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 9:00:41 PM

<patrik@nordebo.com> wrote in message news:87mzx4zgsn.fsf@pluto.elizium.org...
> "Cheddar" <whatnoemail@me.net> writes:
>
> > I didnt know scouts did a huge amount of damage. Coming from playing
> > standard RPG's like Baldurs Gate I always think of scouts as quick thief
> > like players that dont do much damage but can come in handy disarming
traps
> > and scouting ahead.
>
> I don't know if they do that much damage - their various forms of
> sneak attacks do a lot of damage per hit, but they can't use them all
> that often, I think. I never played a scout beyond level 4 or 5 so
> I'm clueless. :-)

They do. They get lots of backstab type attacks, and evade to drop aggro so
they can stay behind the mob.

It's only soloing or tanking where they do less damage, because most of their
good specials are unusable from the front.

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk
Dearic - Dwarven Shaman on Guk

Dearic - Dwarven Warlord on E'ci
Talynne - Half Elf Assassin on E'ci
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 10:28:44 PM

On 26 Nov 2004 12:40:57 EST, Wayne Rasmussen
<XvirtualDoNotSpamMe@gomonarch.com> wrote:

>I am behind the curver a little. Yesterday I gave a guildmate a book later I saw
>a price on it and was like @#$% I gave up 53 Silver! Might be getting a good box
>(hope 12 slot) out of it if I can get him an alder.

I have that book - I'll be passing it onto my alt soon, so she can
scribe it.

And yes - fingers crossed for those rares - some are trading hands for
over a gold.

And what's with all the carrots ?
November 27, 2004 6:55:58 PM

"Lizard" <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in message

: My main bitch is that pulling off group HOs means I can't use my own
: specials as much as I'd like, but I think with better coordination and
: practice, that will change. I would be more useful if I was able to do
: my full damage dealing, as I do when I'm solo.

Noob question time: What's an "HO"? Sounds like an NPC who earns her living
by means not amenable to a family game. ;)

David
November 27, 2004 6:55:59 PM

"David S." <davids@nicetryspammers.com> wrote in message
> "Lizard" <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in message
>
> : My main bitch is that pulling off group HOs means I can't use my own
> : specials as much as I'd like, but I think with better coordination and
> : practice, that will change. I would be more useful if I was able to do
> : my full damage dealing, as I do when I'm solo.
>
> Noob question time: What's an "HO"? Sounds like an NPC who earns her
> living
> by means not amenable to a family game. ;)
>
> David

Heroic something, like a combo move for better damage or something.
November 27, 2004 9:17:05 PM

David S. wrote:
> "Lizard" <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in message
>
>> My main bitch is that pulling off group HOs means I can't use my own
>> specials as much as I'd like, but I think with better coordination
>> and practice, that will change. I would be more useful if I was able
>> to do my full damage dealing, as I do when I'm solo.
>
> Noob question time: What's an "HO"?

H(eroic) O(pportunity)

Short version: every class can trigger them by a special skill/spell.
They can then complete them by casting/using required spells/skills
(shown by both icon and flashing "spell gems"). Competing them
gives extra damage or other benefits.

For example: a newbie priest (after he gets the trigger ability)
can use his own -- that equates to Trigger, Nuke, Nuke. It
gives extra damage *power free* roughly about a nuke and
a half. Same idea for other classes although the things involved
and reward will be different.

Same thing for a group -- except then it will involve the group
members acting with teamwork to complete one. The HO
would require completion by multiple players.

Any break in the chain -- ie, if it asks for a nuke, you can't
debuff, etc -- means the HO is lost. In groups, if it wants
a mage nuke, any other player can't use their special attacks.

Scout classes can change the HO and steer it to better rewards.
IOW, the HO being completed may result in extra damage.
They can use their ability to change it to one which results in
group-wide HP and power-regen.

It's VERY useful when soloing. And VERY hard-to-do in
groups, at least at lower levels when fights are slow and
people tend to do thier own thing more...
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 10:26:57 PM

"Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in message
> David S. wrote:
> > "Lizard" <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> My main bitch is that pulling off group HOs means I can't use my own
> >> specials as much as I'd like, but I think with better coordination
> >> and practice, that will change. I would be more useful if I was able
> >> to do my full damage dealing, as I do when I'm solo.
> >
> > Noob question time: What's an "HO"?
>
> H(eroic) O(pportunity)
>
> Short version: every class can trigger them by a special skill/spell.
> They can then complete them by casting/using required spells/skills
> (shown by both icon and flashing "spell gems"). Competing them
> gives extra damage or other benefits.
>
> For example: a newbie priest (after he gets the trigger ability)
> can use his own -- that equates to Trigger, Nuke, Nuke. It
> gives extra damage *power free* roughly about a nuke and
> a half. Same idea for other classes although the things involved
> and reward will be different.
>
> Same thing for a group -- except then it will involve the group
> members acting with teamwork to complete one. The HO
> would require completion by multiple players.
>
> Any break in the chain -- ie, if it asks for a nuke, you can't
> debuff, etc -- means the HO is lost. In groups, if it wants
> a mage nuke, any other player can't use their special attacks.
>
> Scout classes can change the HO and steer it to better rewards.
> IOW, the HO being completed may result in extra damage.
> They can use their ability to change it to one which results in
> group-wide HP and power-regen.
>
> It's VERY useful when soloing. And VERY hard-to-do in
> groups, at least at lower levels when fights are slow and
> people tend to do thier own thing more...

I think you mean quick.

With 3 people, even if we're trying for the HO, the fight is often over before
it's complete. Unless you skip "normal" steps like taunting the mob, to get
the HO started early.

--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk
Dearic - Dwarven Shaman on Guk

Dearic - Dwarven Warlord on E'ci
Talynne - Half Elf Assassin on E'ci
November 27, 2004 10:41:49 PM

Davian wrote:

> I think you mean quick.

Yep.

> With 3 people, even if we're trying for the HO, the fight is often
> over before it's complete. Unless you skip "normal" steps like
> taunting the mob, to get the HO started early.

Yep.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 7:53:16 PM

"Wolfie" <dbgbdwolf@gte.net> wrote in news:Bw3qd.74983$8G4.49722
@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

> David S. wrote:
>> "Lizard" <lizard@mrlizard.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> My main bitch is that pulling off group HOs means I can't use my own
>>> specials as much as I'd like, but I think with better coordination
>>> and practice, that will change. I would be more useful if I was able
>>> to do my full damage dealing, as I do when I'm solo.
>>
>> Noob question time: What's an "HO"?
>
> H(eroic) O(pportunity)
>
> Short version: every class can trigger them by a special skill/spell.
> They can then complete them by casting/using required spells/skills
> (shown by both icon and flashing "spell gems"). Competing them
> gives extra damage or other benefits.
>
> For example: a newbie priest (after he gets the trigger ability)
> can use his own -- that equates to Trigger, Nuke, Nuke. It
> gives extra damage *power free* roughly about a nuke and
> a half. Same idea for other classes although the things involved
> and reward will be different.
>
> Same thing for a group -- except then it will involve the group
> members acting with teamwork to complete one. The HO
> would require completion by multiple players.
>
> Any break in the chain -- ie, if it asks for a nuke, you can't
> debuff, etc -- means the HO is lost. In groups, if it wants
> a mage nuke, any other player can't use their special attacks.
>
> Scout classes can change the HO and steer it to better rewards.
> IOW, the HO being completed may result in extra damage.
> They can use their ability to change it to one which results in
> group-wide HP and power-regen.
>
> It's VERY useful when soloing. And VERY hard-to-do in
> groups, at least at lower levels when fights are slow and
> people tend to do thier own thing more...

I'm struggling with this one. I use HO's as much as possible when
soloing, but when I group, I find that it's nearly impossible to complete
one. It seems I always have to resist the urge to pipe up with, "Hasn't
anyone here ever heard of heroic opportunities?!" or some other shout of
exasperation. I normally chalk it up to the fact that we're still in the
low levels of the game and it's not all that necessary just yet.

I guess I'm just always trying to fight as efficiently as possible. It's
often not required at this stage of the game, but that first time
everyone has to share the xp debt because someone died, it does become an
issue.

A couple of questions, though. Are there HO's that I can execute myself
while in a group that aren't affected by what anyone else is doing?

HO's in a group setting seem like they would actually lessen the group's
effectiveness, as everyone would have to interrupt their typical attack
sequences to ensure that each step is executed in an uninterrupted
manner. How the heck does everyone in the group know who is trying to
execute each step and when? For instance, if the HO calls for a nuke,
then a melee attack, and two casters see the nuke icon pop up and both
cast (likely one slightly before the other), won't that first nuke land,
causing the HO to move to the next step (melee attack) just as the second
nuke lands, at that point being the incorrect action to further the HO
and cancelling it?

I'm sure there has to be a proper way of executing an HO, and that I am
just missing something here.

--
Rumble

"The floggings will continue until morale improves."
-- Blackbeard
November 28, 2004 9:33:24 PM

Rumbledor wrote:

> I'm struggling with this one. I use HO's as much as possible when
> soloing, but when I group, I find that it's nearly impossible to
> complete one. It seems I always have to resist the urge to pipe up
> with, "Hasn't anyone here ever heard of heroic opportunities?!" or
> some other shout of exasperation. I normally chalk it up to the fact
> that we're still in the low levels of the game and it's not all that
> necessary just yet.

Most people aren't past the teens yet. Mages can
tank for groups and even then healers *still* have
plenty of power to nuke. *shrug* I'm hoping it will
change as people level-up.

> A couple of questions, though. Are there HO's that I can execute
> myself while in a group that aren't affected by what anyone else is
> doing?

Not AFAIK.

> HO's in a group setting seem like they would actually lessen the
> group's effectiveness, as everyone would have to interrupt their
> typical attack sequences to ensure that each step is executed in an
> uninterrupted manner.

That's really not a factor in a group which knows what it's
doing. The first step is to get the mobs under control in
some fashion - rooted, mezzed, all beating on the tank,
whatever. Then the fight really does slow down and you
don't lose much damage -- everyone should be waiting
for the tank to gain sufficient aggro anyway. Then he
or the scout initiates a chain and everyone follows. If
everyone is keeping alert and knows what to do, it's a
fairly quick progession. Then people do what they
need to do for a moment and another chain is started.

> How the heck does everyone in the group know
> who is trying to execute each step and when? For instance, if the HO
> calls for a nuke, then a melee attack, and two casters see the nuke
> icon pop up and both cast (likely one slightly before the other),
> won't that first nuke land, causing the HO to move to the next step
> (melee attack) just as the second nuke lands, at that point being the
> incorrect action to further the HO and cancelling it?

Yes, so any two of a class in a group need to coordinate
their actions. One takes HO advancement as their task,
the other(s) in their class do the other roles during the
non-HO segment(s).

> I'm sure there has to be a proper way of executing an HO,
> and that I am just missing something here.

It's just teamwork. The biggest thing seems to get people
to back-off the 'nuke, nuke, nuke' (even if their nuke is a
special attack) and try to approach the encounter in an
organized fashion. But, as said, this is really the "Oasis"
and "LoIO" stage...
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 12:19:38 AM

Try World of Warcraft instead. All classes can xp grind solo all the way up to
level 60. Yes even warriors deal damage and perform awesome original fighter
abilities that they gain as they level. Playing a warrior in WoW was actually
very cool and challenging compared to the Everquest warrior.

"Cheddar" <whatnoemail@me.net> wrote in message
> I'm very new to these games so maybe i'm wrong but is the fighter/warrior
> class veyr boring?
>
> I just finished playing and for the past two hours all I did in the group
> was get all the aggro and get hit. That's it, I might as well have not been
> there in terms of gameplay.
>
> I just stand there, call on enemies with shout and get hit while everyone
> else kills them. Am I doing something wrong here? I thought a warrior would
> be a fighter who can dish out damage with his weapons etc. I don't bother
> attacking as there's no point and I need to keep my power for using shout
> etc.
>
> After playing this character for a week I think I have made a big mistake
> with this class.
>
> I'm very tempted to start a new character and aim to be a wizard, at least
> then I will be able to kill some things.

Anonymous
November 29, 2004 12:19:39 AM

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:19:38 +0100, "The Uber Nuker"
<faultytowers@powers.com> wrotC:D RIVE_E

>Try World of Warcraft instead. All classes can xp grind solo all the way up to
>level 60.

And what do you do NEXT week?

Sorry, couldn't resist...
Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com
November 29, 2004 2:17:01 AM

"The Uber Nuker" <faultytowers@powers.com> writes:

> Try World of Warcraft instead. All classes can xp grind solo all the
> way up to level 60. Yes even warriors deal damage and perform
> awesome original fighter abilities that they gain as they
> level. Playing a warrior in WoW was actually very cool and
> challenging compared to the Everquest warrior.

While in Everquest 2, warriors can only solo to 50. Or 19, since at
20 you become either a guardian or berserker. World of Warcraft is
clearly the superior game.

Oh, they get abilities in EQ2, too, but they're probably far inferior
to what you get in World of Warcraft, since we all know that's the
better game.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 8:10:18 PM

RJB wrote:

> <snip>
> > I am behind the curver a little. Yesterday I gave a guildmate a book later I saw
> > a price on it and was like @#$% I gave up 53 Silver! Might be getting a good box
> > (hope 12 slot) out of it if I can get him an alder.
>
> What really hurts is when you find a book you can use (*AND* afford) only
> to run all the way to the sellers apartment and find it *gone*. /sniff
> Shoulda kept my swashy as the main.... grrr no pathfinding!!! grr grr grr

I saw a righteous anger for 5sp and ran over and it was gone...:(
!