Sign in with
Your question

Building my first comp... this is it (I think)

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 4, 2001 9:42:14 PM

I'm going to try to build my first comp (gateway pII 400 just not cutting it anymore). I have done quite a bit of research and reading on the forms and this is what I have come up with, any options? sugestions? problems? I know there are plenty of each :) 

OH! comp is mainly for 3d gaming, web surfing, some mp3's, music cd's, (dvd when I get a player) (not planning on doing much if any oc'ing)

athlon 1.4/226 (18 micron/ayhja if i can find it)
asus a7v266
crucial 2 x 256 cas 2 ram
zalman 500 heatsink
maxtor 20g 7200 ata100
antex sx800 case
emerson 431 whisper power supply
philips acoustic edge sound board
graphic card.. visiontek g2 64 maybe? (have tnt 32 now)
3-4 case fans (thermal activated)

Anyone know if asus "pc probe & Health monitoring" turns fans off/on or just watchs temp/and fan speed? curious

Well whatcha think?

More about : building comp

September 4, 2001 10:06:55 PM

Wait for mobo with kt266a chipset.

Breaking news: Intel hit by a SledgeHammer! AMD to blame! More in just a moment...
September 4, 2001 10:10:37 PM

Asus Probe sucks. Via Hardware monitor is good, or Motherboard Monitor 5.

I'm actually going to disagree and say don't wait for the KT266a. Although the benchmarks are really good, there's always something just around the corner. Go for what you can get now. Get an Abit KG7, or an Asus A7A266, or something like that.

As for the graphics card, don't get anything less than a GeForce 2 GTS if you're going nVidia, or [insert card here] if you're going Ati. Sorry, don't know much about Ati cards.

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>
Related resources
September 4, 2001 10:14:02 PM

I'd agree with waiting on the KT266A mobos to start appearing. The KT266 ones just don't have the performance. If you can't wait, get an AMD 761 chipset board. I recommend the MSI K7 Master, or you can go with the Asus AMD 761 board (not sure on name...may be A7M266). Second, it might be hard to find CAS2 DDR (2.5 is standard). Third, I stick with IBM drives, but if you want Maxtor its ok too. Forth, I would recommend GF2 Pro video card. Just a bit more $$$, but big performance increase compared to GTS. Check the Gainward, Leadtek, or MSI boards. I tend to stay away from Visiontek.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"
September 5, 2001 11:55:52 PM

Wait for a top-tier motherboard maker to release a SiS735 board. Although the KT266A chipset may be faster, I bet it will still have the same stability and compatability issues as its little cousins if it uses the same southbridge.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
September 6, 2001 4:36:10 PM

Quote:
if it uses the same southbridge

It doesn't. It used the brand-new 686c Southbridge.

September 7, 2001 12:53:03 AM

Just like what Igottaknife said, "NEW BUGS"!!!!!!!!!!
Hope you have fun smashing them!!!!
Go for SiS!!!

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
September 7, 2001 3:15:23 AM

i thought the sis 735 chipset didnt have a southbridge, or a northbridge. it just had one integrated chip that did the work of north and south in one, and better (because there is no space for the data to be sent. it is instantaneous). the 735 is supposed to be a killer chipset. i am planning on getting one myself.

-Vacuums suck...really...-
September 7, 2001 3:25:19 AM

I think you have mistaken me.
I was referring to VIA's buggy southbridge, not the SIS 735.
Your right, SIS has the north and south bridge integrated into one. If you have read my other posts, I am trying to tell everyone to stay away from VIA and go for the SIS 735 instead!! I plan on getting one myself when a top-tier motherboard maker comes out with one that has lots of overclocking features.
Go for SIS!

September 7, 2001 4:37:54 AM

i see...sorry for the misunderstanding..
and i think that the 735 chipset is awesome....i really want one because it is supposed to be stable as hell, and outperforms the amd and via offerings..
except maybe the new kt266a, but hell, the revolutionary 1 chip design rocks....and you cant beat that price for such a performer!!!!!!!!!!
-DAvid

September 7, 2001 4:44:50 AM

WOW!
You think exactly like me!!
Who gives a crap if the KT266A is 5% faster if it's still unstable??
The SiS735 is the chipset to beat!! And as far as nForce goes, IMO, it's nothing more than just hype.

September 7, 2001 5:07:09 AM

well...i think it will be a little more than hype, but it is still WAYYYYYYY TOO EXPENSIVE FOR ANY REAL PERSON!
200+?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? that is just too much.
the only person who would want to buy it is someone who has no video card, and no sound card, and is building from scratch. me personally, i go for the least ammount of builtin stuff...or as i have come to call, extra crap you dont need.
-DAvid

September 7, 2001 3:22:12 PM

Quote:
Who gives a crap if the KT266A is 5% faster if it's still unstable??
The SiS735 is the chipset to beat!! And as far as nForce goes, IMO, it's nothing more than just hype.

Yeup, I agree. Now where are Abit's and Asus' pics of their SiS735 boards?

September 7, 2001 5:43:17 PM

Quote:
Now where are Abit's and Asus' pics of their SiS735 boards?

Asus and the Sis735--<i>Drool</i>.....

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 7, 2001 6:33:13 PM

When are the SiS735 boards expected to begin to appear?

May wait to get one. Depeneding on how far away they are.
September 7, 2001 8:02:26 PM

if you really want one, you can get one, but not made by those brands. the only one i have seen so far is ECS, but that board has no options for overclocking. as far as i can tell. but even so, it still whooped the kt266!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so you can see the potential of this chip!
otehr companies had better get on it. this chip isnt worth letting go of. make some crazy a$$ board that does it all....
also, isnt sis supposed to release another chip soon? i dont know for sure....but i think the 740?
anyone confirm?

-DAvid

September 7, 2001 8:06:51 PM

also, i think that MAJOR brands havent picked it up because they figure that everyone wants the via or amd offerings...
NOT TRUE!!!!!!
i dont want a ferrari with crappy tires, because it woud be unstable at high speeds. for the same reason i dont want a via chipset.
and i am definately not going to get the nforce, unless for some strange reason i find one on the street...just sitting there. then i would probably use it. but i dont think that is going to happen.

-DAvid

September 7, 2001 8:11:16 PM

ECS and Amptron seems to be the only current motherboard manufacturers using the SIS 735 chipset. I have read articles that say Abit, Asus, MSI are planing to come out with boards using the SIS 735 chipset as well--however, no dates were provided. The best way to find out is to contact the motherboad companies themselves.
I'll make an educated guess of about a month or so.

Just thought I might throw this link in for the newbies. It shows SiS's motherboard customers. I actually found this by clicking on one of Tom's <A HREF="http://www.ad.tomshardware.com/sis/index.html" target="_new">ad</A>.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Stick_e_Mouse on 09/07/01 06:11 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
September 7, 2001 8:29:19 PM

i would go for the msi one just because i have an msi video card, and msi mobo and vid card is a good combo for stability.

-DAvid

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 7, 2001 10:19:41 PM

Forget about waiting for the good 735's or kt266 boards. Like Burger said, there's always something for which everyone says "wait for this". It pisses me off, actually. I'd say that you're looking pretty good...have you considered the epox 8k7a? I'd really really encourage you to. They're great boards that are very fast, stable, and inexpensive. Just a thought.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
September 8, 2001 12:02:21 AM

I read alot of reviews on the SIS-735 (ocworkbench.com actually tested the ECS agianst SIS's reference board) and it looked to be a winner. I bought one wednesday from newegg.com and the guy there told me they sold 200 boards in less than 2 hours. I almost bought the MSI K7T266Pro-R but have heard of to many problems wih them. As far as OC, the only settings above 133/133 are 138/138 and 150/150.
September 8, 2001 12:14:32 AM

If you are going to use win2k, stay far the hell away from Philips sound cards.

I run win2k and a Philips Seismic Edge ("budget" version of AE, same processor) and it functions extremely poorly.

Win9x it might be OK

<b>ßunn¥§troker 0wn§ j00!</b>
!