Windows 7 slowly degrading

hansolo1l5

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Hello,

I have a brand new windows 7 build. phenom II dual core at 3.2 ghz, 4 gigs of ram at 1600mhz, a gigabyte GA-880-UD2H AM3 board, using all the onboard, WD 640 Caviar blue 7200 rpm sata 3.0gbs, running windows 7 64 bit home edition.

i have made many of these builds before so i am at a loss as to why this is happening. basically it seems like windows starts to break down. sometimes programs start uninstalling themselves slowly and have to be reinstalled the exes go missing. then office and the internet mozilla or IE wont let you save anything, cant send email attachments the screen just blinks for a second and does nothing. now its losing its IP address, etc etc.

ive done a clean install formatting many times and the problems still crop up over a couple weeks time. ive stress tested with prime both mem and cpu with no problems it doesnt crash. ive test the hard drive in dos with WD tools and it says the drive is fine. i just dont understand why this keeps happening.

please help!

I'd say memory. Run Memtest for a few hours. I may pass a few times but as the RAM warms up a bad block of memory could be exposed. A fast test would be to use a Linux Live DVD or CD since if there's a RAM problem you'll generally see it pretty soon, especially if you extract the whole CD to RAM.

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Programs uninstall themselves... missing files... weird browser activity... network connection dropping.

My money is on a virus/malware. Even if you re-formatted, you could have went right back to the infected site, thus re-creating the problem. Download a few good virus/malware scanners, update definitions, and full-scan your PC (no quick scans) with each scanner.

Good luck.

ctmk

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
BTW you have a drive with 2 partitions or 2 hard drive plug in while reinstall?

for example if you have drive C and D and your computer are infected. There are a high chance that files in drive D might also be infected. Or you might have backup the virus to the DVD or the virus copied itself to your thumb drive (very common). So once you plug in you will get infected in no time.

So... arm your windows 7 with all the security and latest updates 1st before plugging in any devices including harddisk. Also try with 1 "fresh" partition only. (backup and disable the other one if you have to).

For my case I install AVG/AVIRA free and Spybot plus windows defender with latest update and latest windows update. I actually caught some virus hiding in some executable file in drive D once i plug in the hard disk. (note: you can just hot plug sata hard disk. but at your own risk.)

hansolo1l5

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
hmm an infection that could be a possibility since its a clients computer. basically i would do a fresh install each and every time. i only have one partition on the machine and i ran prime stress test for about two days nonstop testing both memory and cpu and it never failed so i had to rule out hardware. so yeah i would do a reformat and sit and play with the machine a couple of days then no problem so i would give it back to them and each time i did that i would transfer the information from their old machine to the new one. i never considered it though since i always have microsoft security essentials installed and i figured it would pick anything up. guess ill do some more comprehensive virus scans.

it is a legit copy of windows

thank you all for the advice.