G

heeeeeelp - ive just bought this kit - Asus A7M266 - 256 ddr ram - 1.4 athalon - 300 watt psu - I put together the kit as specified in the asus manual but I can't the bloody thing to boot! the bios reports that I have an improper cpu external speed setting, but keeping the setting at 100, still results in the boot sequence locking.

I'm worried about two things:

does the a7m266 support the 1.4 ?
or is the psu not got the rigt amount of whoomf (it is amd approved)

please help

bg

G

Some comments:

Which BIOS version does your board have? According to posts I've seen, you need to have at least BIOS 1.004a to have 1.4GHZ support.

On the power supply, you say it is AMD approved, but is it AMD approved for the 1.4GHZ processor? There are several PS models that are "approved" for slightly slower models (especially the 1 GHZ flavor) that apparently don't cut it for the 1.4. Though there are a few 300W PS units that make 1.4 list, the majority for that processor are 350W or above. The PS wattage definitely becomes an issue if you are running very many drives on your machine.

There's some stuff to start with.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain

jc14all

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2001
In you A7M266 manual pg. 19, make sure "JEN" (jumper-free mode) is jumpered [2-3], then on pg 22, "DSCKF" is set to OFF ("In JumperFree mode, all dip switches DSW-1 -DSW-4 must be set to OFF"). Then use your BIOS "CPU Clock Multiplier" [10.0x] or [10.5x] and "System Frequency" [144]

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
Fisher of men

G

That may be a very good call by jc14all. If the motherboard jumpers are set up so that it is "manual select mode" you could have your jumpers set up for a different CPU multiplier than is appropriate for your CPU. Definitely check that first.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. - Mark Twain

acron1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I got the same board same CPU, 256Mb Crucial and a 300W PS
and it worked just fine at 1525Mhz(turbo mode cas2,2,2 145fsb) right out of the box. Make sure that you have all jumpers pg 19-24 set right and everything is seated properly. btw the proper fsb is NOT 100 but 133Mhz with PC2100

G

Hello, I have the same problem but my system specs are :
athlon 1.4 /266
asus a7m266
2 x crucial 2100 ddr
enermax 350w
elsa geforceII gts 32mb
runnning with sk6 at around 50~55c

When i try and boot at 133bus (~1400mhz) i get all sorts of errors but once i lower it down to 100bus (~1030mhz) the system boots up. I have no idea what the problem is. I have already updated my asus bios to the newest beta. I don't think its the ram because i have seen a lot of people running with crucial's 2100ddr. maybe the cpu or motherboard? please help, thanks.

G

Im gettin the A7M266 to, have a look at this. Dont know if its the problem, but hey :)

<The VI/O1 Jumper is default at 2.7V for the DDR memory, however, usually DDR memory is designed for 2.5V. This could cause system instability and cause crashes during heavy memory load. This is especially true when I played 3D games. The fix is to remove the VI/O1 jumper, which set the voltage to 2.5v, I don't understand why Asus doesn't even give the option for 2.5V for the jumper setting, and yet clearly stated DDR RAM uses 2.5V in their OWN MANUAL!>

G

Hello, I have already tried taking off the jumper but it still crashes. In the manual, the jumper settings are (default)2.7, then 2.8 or 2.9. It doesn't mention that taking off the jumper would set it to 2.5, but I did try it and still no luck... thx.

G

Had a similar problem with my system using an A7M266.
It would run stable at fsb 100 but not fsb 133.
Replaced the memory and no more problems.