Trying to Configure J2593A JetDirect over IP

We are trying to set up an HP Laserjet 6 on the first parallel port of a
J2593A JetDirect 10BaseT print server. When I installed HP Download
Manager A.03.08, it discovers the J2593A, but:

1) It shows an IPX address but no default IP How do I set the IP address
of the JetDirect box? I certainly know how to add a Windows 2000 IP
printer, once the JetDirect has been established with an IP.

2) Download Manager says the firmware cannot be upgraded, but the HP
documentation suggests there is an upgrade path from the version of firmware
that is on the JetDirect box to the D.08.49 firmware, which does appear to
be included with the Download Manager. Does the Download Manager first
require IP addressing to be in place before it can download newer firmware?

--
Will

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 19:36:37 -0700, Will wrote:

>We are trying to set up an HP Laserjet 6 on the first parallel port of a
>J2593A JetDirect 10BaseT print server. When I installed HP Download
>Manager A.03.08, it discovers the J2593A, but:
>
>1) It shows an IPX address but no default IP How do I set the IP address
>of the JetDirect box? I certainly know how to add a Windows 2000 IP
>printer, once the JetDirect has been established with an IP.
>
>2) Download Manager says the firmware cannot be upgraded, but the HP
>documentation suggests there is an upgrade path from the version of firmware
>that is on the JetDirect box to the D.08.49 firmware, which does appear to
>be included with the Download Manager. Does the Download Manager first
>require IP addressing to be in place before it can download newer firmware?
>
>--
>Will

It might be that TCPIP was not supported on that version of BIOS.

Alternately, TCPIP might have previously been disable. You should get a
printout if you push the TEST button. What does it show?

Aidan Grey

According to the HP web site, TCP/IP is supported on the J2593A. I'll interpret
that liberally to mean all BIOS revisions and hardware revisions.

Download HP's Install Network Printer Wizard. This software allows you to find
the device by its MAC address, then set it up the way you want... Ben Myers