How to uinstall beta ver of SP 2? help please

I recently bought a used comp preloaded with beta version
of win xp pro sp 2: Win xp ver 5.1(build 2600.xpsp_sp 2_
beta1 1.031215-1745: service pack 2,v).
Although it said SP2, some of the features still not
updated. for ex: directx 9.0c (still using b version),
movie maker still using ver 1, etc. On top of it, I am
unable to update my directx to ver 9.0c (it showed that
installation is completed but no files are being
extracted or installed, and it still shows ver 9.0b

1.How do I uinstall this sp 2 beta?
2.Can I just overwrite it with sp 2 Cd from microsoft
(final ver)?

Greatly appreciate your help.

bishan wrote on 06-Oct-2004 9:22 PM:
> I recently bought a used comp preloaded with beta version
> of win xp pro sp 2...
>
> 1.How do I uinstall this sp 2 beta?
> 2.Can I just overwrite it with sp 2 Cd from microsoft
> (final ver)?

Look for an Add/Remove Programs entry and use that. Many folks have had
success installing the final build of SP2 over top of various late beta
versions. You can try that before giving up and reinstalling or
repairing RTM or SP1 and then updating to SP2 final. Don't connect to
the Internet before getting SP2 installed unless you have the firewall
enabled. You will be infested within two to ten minutes if you don't.

--
Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security

Hi

Is the PC new? If so, it shouldn't have a Beta version of XP installed on
it. Is there an uninstall entry in Add/Remove Programs? If so, use that.
However you would be better off performing a 'Clean' install of XP.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"bishan" <bishanyap@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought a used comp preloaded with beta version
> of win xp pro sp 2: Win xp ver 5.1(build 2600.xpsp_sp 2_
> beta1 1.031215-1745: service pack 2,v).
> Although it said SP2, some of the features still not
> updated. for ex: directx 9.0c (still using b version),
> movie maker still using ver 1, etc. On top of it, I am
> unable to update my directx to ver 9.0c (it showed that
> installation is completed but no files are being
> extracted or installed, and it still shows ver 9.0b
>

> 1.How do I uinstall this sp 2 beta?
> 2.Can I just overwrite it with sp 2 Cd from microsoft
> (final ver)?
>
> Greatly appreciate your help.

No, it is not a new PC. There is no entry of beta version
in add/remove program. The strange thing is that although
it said win xp sp 2, there are number of features which
are not there for ex: directx 9.0c, movie maker version
2.1, etc but it has firewall and pop up blocker.
Sometimes, when the computer generates error repoting,
i've receiveed a message of something like "there are
missing important security files....."

Is there a way to get rid of this SP 2 beta manually ( if
the sp 2 cd isn't working)? that is to say to restore to
the original xp pro?

I would greatly appreciate your help.