Scandisk freezing at startup

My computer will not allow me to run scandisk without
restarting my computer. When I restart, it will perform
fine up until the 4th step in the process, where it
consistantly freezes at 64 percent and will not progress
from there. I am having no problems with defragmenter, and
have very recently used it.

I also get a message at startup (before Windows loads) that
there is a "problem with my hard drive." It gives no
details about this problem, only saying "press enter to
continue."

I recently experienced something with my computer where it
froze up after a period of time in safe mode, and froze if
I tried to access any number of programs. This came right
after installing updates for Zonealarm and AIM...which I
promply uninstalled when I got my computer
quasi-functioning again. I ran a virus scan (nothing
turned up) and I reinstalled older versions of ZA and AIM.
This seemed to work fine...except for scandisk and the
message about my hard drive.

Please advise. My email address is
cmitch13@u.washington.edu (please email rather than reply,
if possible.)

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The report in event viewer about chkdsk is more
definitive. You can view by opening event viewer Need
help? Open up help and support and search for "event
viewer" Select application events . Under the heading
source, look for winlogon. One of your winlogons will
have the results of chkdsk