berkeljm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok.....I have 6 systems at the moment with Soyo's 5EMA+ socket 7 motherboard. They all have different configuations, different types of memory (brand and speed), different amounts also, different CPU's ranging from 350-500 (all k6-2), different video cards, and different network cards. They all have 250 watt power supplies and enough fans to cool them just fine. I have upgraded them to Windows 2000 and I have random reboot problems. Sometimes it won't reboot for a couple of days and some days it will reboot 6 or 7 times in a day. I have narrowed the problem down to the motherboard because when I replaced one with the Asus P5A the problem dissapeared. It's been running stable for over a month. I talked to Soyo tech support.....and wow.....they were absolutely no help. Imagine that. I have also installed service pack 2 for Windows 2000 thinking that would correct it but it didn't. I have been on every forum I can search with no luck. I have also searched Microsoft's web sight....again..no luck. Also, I believe all of the motherboards are revsion 1.1......but there may be a 1.0 in there. This problem did not exsist with Win98, and I need to upgrade a total of 50 PC's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
Need more info. Are you doing a clean install? Or just upgrading the systems?

:cool: <font color=blue> I know nothing that is why i am here at THG!</font color=blue>

juice

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2001
What have you done so for? Any error messages in the event log? No Blue Screen of death at all? I would take everything out exempt the bare bones and run windows 2000. Add hardware back one at time to see if you still get a reboot?

:cool: <font color=blue> I know nothing that is why i am here at THG!</font color=blue>

berkeljm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This has all been done. It is also a little difficult to troubleshoot since the reboots are random. As I stated before, the only time the problem went away is when I changed the motherboard. All of the other parts are the same as what was in it originally. Also the Video cards and the network cards are the standard ones that are used in all of the other systems that range for P2 systems, P3, Duron, and Athlon. None of the others have this problem. Only the Soyo 5EMA+ motherboard. My main question is basically........has anyone seen this before and is there a fix for it. There are no error messages at all. It just reboots with no warning.

G

5ema+...my eyes begin to twitch just hearing that name...

I wrestled with my system, which was built on said mobo, for two years before opting for an epox 8k7a system. I encountered problems with bootup and stability, often encoutering blue screens, gpf's, and plain old freeze ups. I tried everything with that damn board. However, this was under Windows 98.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that someone else has had this monkey on his back. I suggest an exorcist to fix your problems.