'Disable Zero Configuration.exe'

FILE: WinXPDisableZeroConfiguration.exe

Our laptop running Win XP Pro is taking inordinate time to
boot up.

Looking at the Windows Task Manager/Performance shows the
CPU running at 100%. Referring to the WDT/Processes shows
the above program consuming anything above 91% of the
processor power. Even some minutes later this progam is
still running at this sort of CPU power.

Searching MS support reveals nothing on this file and the
same goes for a global search on the web.

Please can anyone advise of 1) What the problem is which
is causing this file to be active and 2) Why is it
consuming so much CPU power?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Nigel

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I noticed you didn't include virus and spyware\maleware
scans for those free downloads to help with everything
they promise but don't tell you about startup programs
and registry items that fool with your pc.

If you don't have reliable spyware/maleware removal, you
can get it with spybot free at :

http://www.net-integration.net/index.php?
page=spybotsd#clean

I suggest you run the spybot scan. It will run awhile.
WHen finished ,clean recommended. Some entries will be in
memory. The program ask if you would like to fix at next
boot up. Reply yes

It has an automatic backup so you can restore fixes.

You'll also need to remove startup registry items also.
Highjackthis is available free at:

http://www.net-integration.net/index.php?

They can help you with interpreting logs. Just follow
their instructions. You can wait for their interpretation
or you can look for 04 startup entries. I suggest you
delete any software startup thats not store bought
software.

If you don't have virus protection, Symantec test your
computer's exposer to online threats.
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?
langid=ie&venid=sym

Many thanks, Larry. I will let you know how I get on.

Nigel

"larry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I noticed you didn't include virus and spyware\maleware
> scans for those free downloads to help with everything
> they promise but don't tell you about startup programs
> and registry items that fool with your pc.
>
> If you don't have reliable spyware/maleware removal, you
> can get it with spybot free at :
>
> http://www.net-integration.net/index.php?
> page=spybotsd#clean
>
> I suggest you run the spybot scan. It will run awhile.
> WHen finished ,clean recommended. Some entries will be in
> memory. The program ask if you would like to fix at next
> boot up. Reply yes
>
> It has an automatic backup so you can restore fixes.
>
> You'll also need to remove startup registry items also.
> Highjackthis is available free at:
>
> http://www.net-integration.net/index.php?
>
> They can help you with interpreting logs. Just follow
> their instructions. You can wait for their interpretation
> or you can look for 04 startup entries. I suggest you
> delete any software startup thats not store bought
> software.
>
> If you don't have virus protection, Symantec test your
> computer's exposer to online threats.
> http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?
> langid=ie&venid=sym

Larry

Thanks very much indeed for your invaluable help. Going to your recommended
URLs did not reveal Hijackthis (we found that separately) however, from
those URLs we have bought both XoftSpy and RegRun (neither of which appear
to be free now) and these are a great help.

Thanks again