440bx cpu support

G

my buddy just gave me a celeron @950 mhz, my mobo is socket 1, will this cpu fit. thanks.

"I might be ignorant, but I'm not stupid."

G

never mind it won't

G

new question can you get a socket 1 to socket 370 converter, they make that kind of thing

G

they make socket370 to slot 1 adapters called slockets... with your celeron 950 you will need a slocket that supports "flip chips" or fcpga... if you put that processor on a BX board without a FCPGA adapter it will bake the mobo... trust me, i learned the hard way... also, that bx board proabably wont go to 950mhz, but it may be fun to try...

*moment of silence for asus 440bx board, may it rest in pieces*

www.stoleyourdomain.com $12 a year domain registration! whoo! go SYD!

G

what's a good place to buy a slocket, also i read that some of the converters have a forced 100mhz FSB option, if i used this type of converter would it automatically overclock my processor?

G

http://www.overclock.co.uk/
These guys do Slockets but i dunno if they will help on an aged board good luck

Bruiser

G

well, 950 is not divisible by 66... so its gotta be running at 100mhz... and if the board does not support 9.5x multiplier... which most BX do not...

www.stoleyourdomain.com $12 a year domain registration! whoo! go SYD!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First, check your motherboard manufacturers BIOs updates for ANY Coppermine BIOS upgrades. Check it out-if it says it supports the PIII 700, it will support the Celeron 950, BECAUSE the important thing is COPPERMINE support, and the 700 is a Coppermine CPU. OK, so if it supports ANY coppermines, it will support ALL coppermines. All Celerons from 566 up (and some 533's also) are Coppermine cored.
I recommned the Abit Slotket III becuase it's a great bargain, it supports FC-PGA processors, and has onboard voltage controll, just in case you ever get the itch to overclock. $8 at googlegear.com.

Back to you Tom...

and if the board does not support 9.5x multiplier... which most BX do not...
My one supports up to 11.5 but I think you'll find that the multiplyers are locked on the CPUs. This allows eg 1000E (slot1) 100MHz * 10 or 1000EB (s370) 133MHz * 7.5 etc.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

G

yea i'm sure it will support 950 w/ a slocket, I think i can actually go up to 1.1ghz, but i got a 950 for free so i can't complain. i guess it will tied me over for at least a little while, my question is how much does the limited cache hinder performance compared with a p3 coppermine? celeron 950 vs pentium 3 ???. also which slocket you guys recommend, Iwill, generic or does it matter, i know the iwill has more options such as change the bus, but my motherboard only supports up 2 100 anyway.

yea i didn't stop to think the bus was at 100 when i made my post earlier, wups 9.5 x 66, i guess i didn't carry the one.

TRENDING THREADS