ASUS A7A266 1.4mhz yes or no?

Pollack

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2001
I have seen on some website's and on the box for that motherboard that send out different cpu speeds that the motherboard will take. But none of them say 1.4 mhz. Can the baord run an AMD 1.4?

G

On Asus' site, the A7A266 last BIOS update states:
"Fix CPU frequency not shown correctly if CPU is faster than 1.3GHz"
The motherboard specs. show it supports 500-1.2GHz. Kinda leaves 1.4 up in the air. I would contact Asus just to be sure.

sudden unexpected cessation of computer activity with a sudden unexpected increase in user activity=

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I already told you it can. Nobody else cares. Use BIOS revision 1004 or newer. You will have to set the bus speed to 133 (aka 266) manually in BIOS (this is true of all Athlon boards).

Back to you Tom...

duckbill

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
Yes, the Asus A7A266 mobo can run a 1.4 GHz Athlon. Im running one myself as we speak. Besides it says on the Asus website that it supports 500MHz-1.2GHz+ ATHLON CPU's. 1.2 GHz+ > 1.2 GHz...

"Try as they might, the cow would not move, nor shut up. Moo."

G

Crashman answered your question.....

Most motherboard manufactures say 1.2Ghz or/and higher. Mainly coz when they were built the 1.4Ghz wasnt available for testing I would guess, and since then many have used that board for that CPU.
But there are much better boards around anyway.
My board says 1.2Ghz and higher, and it's running a 1.4Ghz CPU at 1.6Ghz.

<font color=purple>Three ways to do things, your way, my way and the wrong way!</font color=purple><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by scotty3303 on 09/18/01 06:32 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

duckbill

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
"ASUS A7A266 1.4mhz yes or no?" 1.4 MHz, LOL. Might have some trouble finding a 1.4 MHz CPU, let alone installing it.

BTW, do you guys know any retro-sites which concentrate on computer stuff, CPU's and such? I mean, it would be nice to read some "good ol' days" specs.

<b>Nice Internet Surfers Get Loads of Cookies...</b> :smile: <b>Yum...What the?</b> :smile:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, strangely enough it is. I was reading an Amiga World magazine from a LONG time ago, and all these people were talking about having 1 meg of RAM (meg, not gig :), and asking about what memory riser cards would improve performance the most, etc. It was pretty funny, really.

<font color=green>They may take our lives, but they will never take our freedom!</font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Found an add from 1992 for a bargain priced high-end PC; 386-16MHz, 4MB ram (real SIMM slots!), 120MB hard drive, CD-ROM (!), 2400BPS modem, 13" VGA monitor (who want CGA?), 512k Video Card, $2400 seemed like a steal!

Back to you Tom...