HD and Floppy just run and run

warbelsnap

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001
My system recently (approx 1 week ago) started doing crap on its own! The thing that concerns me the most is that no matter what i am doing, gaming/letter typing/web browsing at some given point the damn HD starts whirrling the HD active light comes on and shortly after that the 3.5 floppy joins in and does the same thing. Its just a symphony of whirrling and buzzing between them both. Was kind of funny the first few times it happened but now Its driving me crazy. Cant figure out what the hell is causing this. It doesnt happen when any great demand for memory or graphics is placed on the system. In fact tonight it happened while I was browsing around Toms message boards. Any advice will be welcomed with opened arms, but please hurry because anymore nights like I have had tonight with this system and it'll look like 17 1/2 pnds of chewed bubble gum when I get thru with it!!!!!!!!

P.S. If it helps any, this whirrly bird system is a 0ld OC'ed Celery 300A to 450 with some Mushkin PC100 (128meg worth). The systems about 3 1/2 years old.

Thanks Warb the Snap!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
do you have any anti-virus software running in the background? if that is true, then it might either be updating itself, or trying to scan your floppy drive and the hard drive. i might be wrong, but that sounds like that is the problem. other than that, i would say that maybe something is dying??!?!!?! i dont know tho..when i first saw the post title, i thought it was going to be something really simple, like you had just built the computer, and the hard drive lights, and the floppy lights wont turn off, and the system doesnt boot, in which case, it would be the floppy drive plugged in backwards, but you probably arent suffering from that. i used to do that when i was first learning about computers.
another thing, have you changed anything lately?
if that helps at ALL, i am happy. but it probably wont.

-DAvid

-Vacuums suck...really...-