AMD System problems

G

I've just put together a new system, consisting of:
Abit KG7-RAID
AMD 1.4 GHz T-Bird @1.33
512 Crucial DDR RAM 2.5CAS at 2CAS (in TURBO mode)
Asus V8200 GeForce3 Deluxe at 210/475 engine/RAM (Driver 12.60)
Herculese Gametheater XP
Windows 98 SE (all updates downloaded)

Well, I got the system up and running as stated, with a 3DMark2001 score of 5720. However, when I try to change the clock on the T-Bird to 1400 (10.5x133), I get an error that reports "Error loading device MSMNGR. Run Windows setup again to correct the problem." Or something very similar before Windows loads up. That's my first problem.
Secondly, and less importantly. When I change the RAM setting to ULTRA, I get a Windows protection error.
Are these known issues? There is no BIOS update available yet, and I have updated all other drivers. Nothing I have done so far has helped. Any ideas would be greatly apperciated. Thanks in advance!

Let's forget the AMD-Intel battle and focus on the real Enemy: Apple!

G

It sounds to me like you are too aggressive on your RAM settings. I don't think you will get the ULTRA setting to work at all with PC2100 RAM. (It might work for PC2400, but I don't know anyone who has it). Also on my system KG7-Raid, 1400/266, 256 PC2100, GeForce2, Win 98 SE I can't remain stable with CAS=2. I was so dissappointed. It will drop out of 3DMK2001 on it's third pass or so when looping. Which means I am pushing it too hard. (default voltages). I had to settle for TURBO and CAS 2.5 to have the absolute stability I demand (lot's of gaming on-line)

G

OK. I haven't had any luck. The RAM has become a non-issue, so I'm OK with that. But the processor is annoying me. The PC Health monitor in the BIOS reads approx 70C, which seems hugely high. I've got an SK6 cooler with a 5200 RPM fan and Arctic Silver II, and three case fans. It still runs rock-solid, can run 3DMark for 8-hour loops without a hitch. The only cavet is that proc speed. Please help!

Let's forget the AMD-Intel battle and focus on the real Enemy: Apple!

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
Wow! 70C! You really need better cooling otherwise your proc will be dead sooner than u probably want it to be. To avoid all this bs, why not switch to win2K?

When I rule the world, Apple will only mean the fruit.

FlareDust

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2001
yeah 70c is freakin high, some proc might fry already, ur not booting up no ur default speed because of the heat. your hsf seems ok, and ur using artic silver, i think you put the hsf on wrong. try to reseat it, with a thin layer of as2, and becareful not to get the as2 on the bridges.