How Hot is TOO Hot

G

OK, I know this really isn't the right thread for this question, but you peeps have been helping me trememdously, Thank You!

I know AMD says the max die temp of the 1400/133 is 90C, but this doesn't help me since I can only observe the CPU temperature measured by my on-board sensor (KG7-Raid) which is the bottom side of the chip carrier.

So the question is how high can I let this temperature go before I start reducing the life of my CPU. It seems mighty warm now in the high 50's.

I'm going to start working on cooling solutions (just stock AMD h/s and a front/lower case fan now so there is plenty of room for improvement!)

I'd love to start experimenting with overclocking, but am hesitant until I am confident I know what to watch and what to avoid!

Thanks for the help you guyz always send!

I would recommend a case fan in both the front and back. I also added an extra fan stuck to the back of the heatsink (with mounting tape) that blows air from the back of the case towards the cpu heatsink. Arctic silver II will help lower your cpu temps about 3 degrees, but read the directions on their website before using. Also beware that many hardware monitors are not very accurate; some set their readings about 10 degrees higher than they actually are. As for fans, read the comparison reports on this website and Anandtech for effectiveness and noise level. Some fans are simply too loud. Personally, I think the power supply is the most important cooling agent in the case. I use an old sparkle 235 watt, and my temps are 5-6 degrees cooler. The lowest cpu reading I get under load is about 50 celcius, but my room temp is about 84 degrees. I would try to get your cpu temp below 50 if possible.