Nghthk

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2001
I've built several machines based on THG's reviews and recommendations. I'm building a new machine now. I'm a "speed freak", "overclocking fool" or whatever terminology you would like to use. I'm hung up on 3 boards at this time. The Gigabyte GA-7DXR, EPoX EP-8K7A+ & the Shuttle AK31. All boards seem to get consistantly good ratings throughout all the forums I post to. Sorry not totally devoted to THG. Amazingly enough the Shuttle AK31 is getting recommended on other forums but not here.
The Inventory:
Athlon 1.4 (unlocked and stepped up to 1.7)tested stable
3- 256 DDR 2100
Video - G3 card (not sure which one yet)
2- 60gig Maxtor 7200 HD's
SBLive 5.1
Case - 4 system fans, dual exhaust fans
Power Supply - 450 watt dual fan
DVD & HP Burner

Question : Which board?

Thanx for your input!

G

The 8k7a+. I have one, very very nice, fast, stable. It's also the cheapest of the three that you're looking at. The only other thing I would say is that the 7dxr is a 1st class board, loaded with features. Personally, save the bucks and go with the epox. That is, unless blue motherboards do it for you...

Nghthk

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2001
Color nor money is the issue. Getting your money's worth is, even if it comes in blue. Although you can't see the color unless you have a clear case. I can get the Shuttle for $85 on pricewatch.com. About 2/3 the cost of the Gigabyte or EPoX. It's actually rated an excellent board and is Palomino ready. Saves buying another board for an upgrade. But anyway..thanx for your recommendation.

btw: EPoX is at the top of my list

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey N,
It's your call on which is the best mobo for you. They are all good mobo's but not perfect. I can add this, Shuttle has decent tech support with 3 phonelines. While it's always possible that you will talk to a tech that knows less than you do, they have been very helpful to me in the past, even sending me a full replacement board with unreleased newest bios, and testing my cpu and ram for free.
Peace Out..........tile

I'm not 1/2 as smart as I think I am and less than 1% smart as I tell people I am.

Nghthk

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2001
Ok Tile, I take it you have the Shuttle board. Is it the AK31 rev.2?..From all I've read its the board thats making them a hit finally. Not big on tech support for the same reason you mentioned. But why did you need a replacement? Bios problem or defective board? Just looking for a track record of the board. Thanx for your recommendation

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey N,
No, it was for my first Slot A T-bird, it was a AI-61. The AI-61 was never approved for Slot A Thunderbirds..... but I believe, Shuttle updated the Bios to support the T-birds without official AMD approval. Anyway somehow I got a hold of a mobo with a first gen bios that couldn't even read my 900 mhz T-bird. The mobo it's self was fine, but tech support couldn't solve the non-posting problem over the phone, so they asked me to send them the mobo, cpu and ram. When they got it they just dropped in a new bios chip and everything booted fine, before changing the bios chip they ran tests on my ram modules on their ram tester and did a 24 hour burn in test after they changed the bios chips and found my HSF was not seating well and changed the Heatsink tape with the Thermo-grease. All is well, and that system is still running fine. Although I would never tell anyone to get a old Slot A Athlon or T-bird no matter how cheap they are now. Good luck with your mobo pick, I will be getting a new mobo, cpu and DDR before November........I hope this is enough time for the new stuff to come out.
Peace Out........tile

I'm not 1/2 as smart as I think I am and less than 1% smart as I tell people I am.

Nghthk

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2001
Thanx for your input tile. My only hold up with the Shuttle board is with the VIA KT266 chipset versus the AMD 761. It doesn't have good reviews against the AMD or SiS chipsets. And the fact that VIA is or has released the KT266a means another board change. Gigabyte and EPoX both use the AMD chipset. Although neither of them support the Palomino (when released), nor do they have the quanity of DIMM slots available that Shuttle has. As far waiting for "new stuff" goes, upgrades seem to happen on a daily basis. It's impossible to keep up. All you can do is go with what's available at the time and hope it's not dead and buried the next week..lol. Anyway..thanx again for your input!

ps: I find it simply amazing that "76" people have viewed my post and only "2" have replied. Does Tom himself ever respond to these forums?

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey N,
You hit the nail right out of the park....no that does not sound right....hit the nail right on the finger....oh I give up what was that saying......Anyway, you got it right, "All you can do is go with what's available at the time and hope it's not dead and buried next week..lol". On my input, your welcome! While almost everyone here has more PC knowledge than me, I try to help and understand what the real question is........I have been very wrong on both counts in the past, but I keep trying. As far as "Tom" responding to any posts.... in the 2 months that I have been reading these forums, NO. Which is not to say, I know his THG user name, because I don't so he could be "FatBurger" for all I know. Good Luck with your mobo selection. I am waiting for now, but it SUCKS!, knowing that even that this mobo that I plan to buy is not even out yet, and in 8 or so months later, this mobo & cpu will be the slow dogs of the Bench Marks!
Peace Out.......tile