How do you know?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
<font color=red>I was looking at this forum and am logged in here constantly and was wondering how anyone can recommend a product (motherboard in this case)?</font color=red>

<font color=blue>Reason being is because I have had lots of different mobo's in my time, but I don't build systems for a living. I may sell one here and there, but other then that I build them as a hobby. Do you guys go off of Tom's reviews or do you really use the product itself?</font color=blue>

<font color=green>I just ask because there's usually a lot of questions in this forum like "What motherboard ...?" or so on and so forth ...

If anyone could answer that for me, that would be cool!</font color=green>

<font color=red>"Can you deal with that!"</font color=red>

Nghthk

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2001
I build machines for a hobby too. Have for about 15 years. I'm a Plumber the rest of the time. I've found that the only way find out how good something is,is to go to forums and ask for opinions. Unfortunately we have to rely on "word of mouth" or "type" as the case may be to see what we're paying for. Or the other alternative is to go out and waste money on a chance. Like buying a CD cause you heard a song you like and finding out thats the only song thats worth listening to. Hopefully the people that reply are "users" and not just replying just to see their name in the forum. I deal with alot of forums, not just THG and take recommendations from the people posting positive things about the specific thing I'm looking for. The "reviews" just starts my comparing. So far I haven't been let down.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey L,
I use this forum to back up the many reviews that I read, in print and online. Some times you have to guess where some sources are coming from until you can count them as useful. As far as do I use a product/all products before I recommend them.....no, I have used a lot, but not all. I try to read all the info that I can on them, and I try to say that everyone should do their own research before buying the product. How can you use just one person's advice, that you don't even know? I think most people don't, but are asking everyone, where do I look first, what products are sketch. I think because there is no perfect product, some people need to feel they did everything possible to research the product before they buy it, using this forum is going the extra mile. I personnally have learned more than I could have imagined of these forums.
Peace Out......tile

What do you mean, SEE THE BIG PICTURE, you mean I need a New Monitor too???

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I am a professional. I have built over a thousand systems in the past 4 years. I am a suplier for a local computer store. I do refurbished systems (both old and newer, some factory recertified less than a year old). I also build new systems for customers directly. I also work part time handling "special" problems, aka dificult to solve, for the same store.

Back to you Tom...

<font color=blue>Its sometimes difficult to go against the reviews and / or the mass of opinions.</font color=blue>

<font color=red>What I did was decide what sort of CPU speed I wanted, asked about it, made some re-thinks and then went about getting a mobo in the same way.</font color=red>

<font color=green>When I chose my combo, I wanted something which could pack a decent punch, but was also very stable. Hence I went for a BX combo. This has been tried and tested, so I knew I'd have few problems with it unless I was the cause. LOL<font color=green>

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: