Dead Island is ridiculously too heavy

bayonet14

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Minimum:
Processor: Core2Duo 2.66 GHz
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: ATI 2600XT 512MB VRAM (GeForce 8600GT)
DirectX®: DirectX 9.0C
Hard Drive: 7 GB available hard drive space
Other: keyboard, mouse

Recommended
Processor: Core2Duo 2.66 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: GeForce 9600 (1GB)
DirectX®: DirectX 9.0C
Hard Drive: 7 GB available hard drive space
Other: keyboard, mouse

What the hell 2.66 ghz both on minimum and recommended? It's too heavy! I ran my PC on this website http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/

Dead Island can run in my PC but you know what.. My processor is only Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 @2.13ghz but the requirement says 2.66ghz.

tytyty.jpg

21211121.jpg

I just don't get it...

Eldd

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Something to remember: "minimum" is not guaranteed to have your game run smooth on a specific machine. You should always take those minimum requirements with a grain of salt. There is no way you would have a good gaming experience with the "minimum" they provide.

mugenkid18

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
By publishing those "minimum" requirements they extend the stretch of their consumer bracket (almost into your capabilities). So after you buy, install, and attempt to play the game you'll realize that your system can't really meet the requirements to enjoy the game experience and either:

A) Spend money on better hardware (thus allowing you to buy and play more games)
B) Give up and attempt to return the game only to find out that opened software CANNOT be returned or exchanged, thus leading back to option A.

Over the course of my gaming life I've been victim of this scheme at least 2 dozen times.

Jay_83

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
"Minimum" basically means "It'll run like crap, probably even on low settings".
Also... Core 2 Duo 2.66 is not a high requirement for a new game, I'm afraid.
Maybe download a demo, if there is one. Just check it out. If you like the performance, all is good.

I suppose the game is a bit CPU intensive since the recommend video card is only a GeForce 9600GT. That's what I got in my home theater PC.

Dead Island uses the Chrome Engine 5 which is cross platform compatible with Xbox 360 and PS3 as well. That tells me that the engine is not very well optimized for the PC; a side effect to ensure that the engine is more streamlined for the Xbox and PS3 since their CPUs are less power than a Core 2 Duo.

On the plus side, at least it is not a crappy port of a console which requires a quad core CPU for good performance; like GTA IV.

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I'm quite picky but I feel like this rule is shared amongst many of us:

Recommended Specs should ALWAYS be your minimum requirements.

In the future, go by this basic rule and you'll at least be able to play the game (I'm sorry you had to learn the hard way...).

jgiron

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
I once ran F.E.A.R on a 440TI video card with the min specs, i had to turn every down and it barely played. Like Eldd said, take the min reqs with a grain of salt.

Even SC2's min reqs the game becomes unplayable with lost of units and big battles on the screen.