Dual Monitor gaming?

count_rugen

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Hey All,

Planning on building a new rig with a single Radeon HD 9870 (I haven't settled on the monitors yet). I'd like to run a dual monitor setup, but have never tried before so I'm full of questions and looking for input.

Do most games support dual monitors? Is the resolution fugly? What are the drawbacks? Any tips or thoughts for a dual monitor n00b?

Thanks

Ben95

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2011
I have dual monitors, but they are not great for gaming. You can use a program called SOFTTH:
http://www.kegetys.net/SoftTH/
This will allow you to play with dual monitors on any direct x 9 game. Pretty much the only thing I use it for (and this is totally awesome) is split screen. It great having each player get their own screen for portal 2. But, if you want to play single player, the crosshairs are right in the middle of the screen. For single player gaming, 3 monitors are awesome because you dont have a split in the middle of the screen.

hope that helps

mugenkid18

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
dual monitor setups are best suited to driving/flying sims, where the 2nd monitor can act as a gauge display, or similar. Or you can have your system monitor software on the adjacent screen to your gaming screen. triple monitor would be better for FPS and RPG games