Motherboard Upgrade

G

I'm thinking of upgrading my MB from Socket 7 k6-2 to Socket A. I've read several guides and it seems pretty straightforward, unplug everything replace board and plug everything back in. When I reboot, will everything start up as it always has or will I have to start reloading drivers for modem, NIC's, etc? My concern is having to get my LAN and internet sharing back up to speed. Thanks

madmike

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Well, for starters, it depends on the OS. Win 98, ME, 2000 ought to function, but you'll probably have to load some drivers for the mobo, at least.

Personally, I'd never upgrade a mobo (especially as big a step as this) without formatting the drive and starting from scratch. Pretty likely you'll have some kind of conflicts resulting in an unstable system. Even if the upgrade goes smoothly, a fresh install always runs better.

evil_homer

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Well I don't suggest doing a motherboard change without re-formating, I HAVE done it before but it takes a little effort to get everything stable, it's almost worth just backing up anything you have on your hard disk, and re-formating. I would re-format. As for just being able to boot up and have everything work, it's usualy a little more difficult than that, but not too bad. I would expect to have to spend a little time in CMOS, but besides that you should be ok, just make sure to do everything VERY VERY carfuly.
Good luck

Keyboard not found press F5 to continue