Sign in with
Your question

Far Cry 2 What purpose of doing the buddy missions/alternative

Last response: in Video Games
September 26, 2011 4:17:04 PM

Im pretty confused. Im playing far cry 2. Although I do not understand why everytime i get a mission, flora calls me and wants me to side track and do something completely different. Im just trying to beat the game quick, plus shes not very hot.

Why do i need to to help these npcs. cant i just go it alone and sometimes, i simply dont agree with her logic, she seems pushy/hussler-like.
September 26, 2011 8:11:48 PM

blackacidevil said:
Im pretty confused. Im playing far cry 2. Although I do not understand why everytime i get a mission, flora calls me and wants me to side track and do something completely different. Im just trying to beat the game quick, plus shes not very hot.

Why do i need to to help these npcs. cant i just go it alone and sometimes, i simply dont agree with her logic, she seems pushy/hussler-like.

If you're looking for a game to beat "quick," you should probably look elsewhere...I spent almost 45 hours on the campaign to beat it.

I loved this game, but I can see why a lot of people don't like it and felt it was boring. I guess I'm just boring. ;)  It had a very realistic feel to it - I think partly because it never broke from first-person view....not while driving, talking, or anything else. Doors didn't magically open, you reached down with your hand and turned the knob.....lots of little stuff like that, plus some above average and interesting AI. You're going to be disappointed though if you're in a hurry....it just isn't that kind of game.

Flora's not very hot because she's a killer trying to survive in a war-torn African country ravaged with poverty and disease. They were aiming for realism with this game, and this is a bit more believable approach than some other games where the females magically look like they all have professional stylists, makeup, and tailored clothes, despite the fact that they're fighting through some desperate wasteland. ;)  That probably explains some of the pushiness, too.
September 26, 2011 8:19:08 PM

Hi, I am enjoying it. but you missed my question.

I asked what is the purpose of doing buddy missions.

?

what are the advantages ?

and i am really enjoying it, what i meant , is i dont want to run around like world of warcraft getting food and repeating missions, and losing 3 weeks doing just that.

let me knwo
Related resources
September 26, 2011 8:34:35 PM

blackacidevil said:

?

and i am really enjoying it, what i meant , is i dont want to run around like world of warcraft getting food and repeating missions, and losing 3 weeks doing just that.

let me knwo

Friends
All of the playable characters are different types of mercenaries. The playable characters the player does not choose to play become non-player characters who are friends of the player's character and who can be found in bars around the in-game nation. These friends are called Buddies and they can serve various roles in the game. All of the buddies offer side missions to the player, completion of which increases that buddy's standing with the player. Additionally there are a few "extra" buddies that can be found. In any playthrough the buddies that can be met is random and not all buddies will appear.[8] The player's "Best Buddy" and "Second Best Buddy" can play additional roles.
The player's "Best Buddy" can provide the player alternate, or "subverted" ways to complete most of the main story missions. These subverted missions always require more steps than the standard mission, but they often make the final objective easier. For example, bringing a container of defoliant to one Buddy who has access to a plane, will allow him or her to deprive the enemy of cover when the player assaults a plantation, or bringing a fuse to a buddy that has a bomb will allow him or her to blow up a bridge, simply crushing an enemy barge beneath instead of forcing the player to assault the barge. Completing subverted missions also increases the player's standing with the best buddy and adds "upgrades" to every safe house in the region, such as vehicles parked outside, medical pickups and ammo pickups. However, the inevitable final objective of a subverted mission will always be that the player must rescue their buddy (Who by the end of the mission is heavily outnumbered by the enemy and must be rescued). The player must choose to either take on a shorter, more difficult mission, or a longer but easier mission.
The player's "Second Best Buddy" can come to the player's aid when they fall in battle if they are "rescue ready". The buddy will move them to a safer location, then revive them and help fight off the remaining enemies. The buddy then needs to recuperate and will be ready to save the player again once they are visited at a safehouse.
Buddies can be wounded or killed in battle during subverted missions, buddy rescues, and other circumstances. When a buddy dies, their death is permanent, and the player has only a limited number of possible buddies in each region. When all of the player's buddies are dead, subverted missions and buddy rescues are no longer available. When buddies are wounded in battle, they will mark their position with a smoke grenade and cry out for help. The player can choose to render aid, or simply leave the buddy to die. If the buddy's wounds are minor enough, the player can inject them with a syrette to fully heal them. However if the buddy's injuries are too severe, the player's only option is to euthanize them by either overdosing them with syrettes or looking away and shooting them in the head. Buddies usually have three "lives" where if they're shot down a third time, the player will not be able to save them. Their last words before death are usually "thank you."
September 26, 2011 9:12:46 PM

blackacidevil said:

?

let me knwo

Sorry...it appears I did. Eldd layed it out perfectly....even brought up some stuff I didn't even know about.
September 27, 2011 2:09:00 PM

+100 what Eldd wrote!

Just in case your views change towards the 'buddies' and you decide to give it enough importance in the game, here's a tip: Like Eldd said, buddies can die and once dead, naturally they can't be of any help! So whenever you're about to step into a battle where a buddy is involved, make sure you save your game. That ways, if the battle goes ugly and your buddy dies, you can always restart the battle and try again. That helped me a lot!
September 27, 2011 3:22:20 PM

Actually when I play a game, I try to play it in its entirety, as it was designed and developed by the dev team, otherwise I will miss out on a lot of aspects that were put in there to enjoy. I don't ever feel the need to rush through content, it's not an online MMORPG.
June 5, 2012 4:50:38 AM

Yeah i don't mind doing the buddy-subverted main missions the buddy's adds more to the mission besides what's more awesome than blowing up a bridge with a 500 lb bomb and crushing Yabak's barge,It's much more fun than just boarding his barge and shooting him.
!