Abit KT7A questions

G

I am rebuilding an old computer with newer components. This is my first build of more than just a HD or CD-RW install. I'm using an existing case/floppy/CD-ROM/monitor, etc. but am installing the Abit KT7A MB, 1.2g Athlon, 256 SDRAM, nVida 32mb 4xAGP card, IBM Deskstar 20g ATA100 HD, 350W power, Win2K. Will I be able to slave the old ATA33 HD on the same 80 lead 40 pin IDE controler cable with the new HD? Will the old CD-ROM/HD operate on the newer ATA100 controller cable?

The BIOS seems to have an endless number of settings many of which are set to normal/auto/default at the factory. Is there any advantage (speed or stability) in changing obvious BIOS settings away from the auto setting? I.E. ATA100 enabled vs. auto detect.

Abitols

Distinguished
May 26, 2001
The answers for the two first questions are yes and yes, without any problems.
And you can improve the performance of your system changing the BIOS settings. The improvements of speed are often achieved by changing the memory settings, and you don't have to worry about your HD settings.
Check this site: http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/kt7faq.htm
It'll help you.

mark_h

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
most bios settings improve cpu/memory speeds
depends wot make your memory is to how for you can tweak it
i:e crucial ect or generic ????

G

Paul's unofficial KT7A site reports that there may be problems with using the ATA100 cable with an ATA33 device, so I will probably use a 40 lead cable to attach my old HD and CD-ROM to the second controller. My memory is 1 stick of Crucial 256mb 133mhz 2.0cas unbuffered 8.5ns SDRAM.