nForce Mothers

G

Anyone know when I can get my hands on an nForce based motherboard??... It IS Fall2001 after all. I've been putting off upgrading my PII system, even in the face of the declining mother and RAM prices just waiting for this chipset, and now it's time to have it, and I've heard nothing about impending release dates from anyone. I want this chipset. I need this chipset. Someone give me some good news.

Furby

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
I'm still waiting too. mass production started this week or last. motherboards are confirmed by nvidia to start shipping at the end of september. it has been a long long long wait. and we're still waiting for a release date. pretty much, there probably won't be a release date, just an anouncement any day now that all the motherboard makers have anonouced their board and now you can finally buy it.

Does anybody know if a motherboard ever sold out? I don't think one ever has, but I'd be ticked if this sold out.

Shnak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
"it has been a long long long wait"

I hope for guys like you (who waited a long long long time) that the nForce is indeed good... the idea of having everything integrated just annoys me...

"Does anybody know if a motherboard ever sold out? I don't think one ever has, but I'd be ticked if this sold out."

you do know that the nForce isn't a motherboard right? and I'd doubt that the nForce will be that popular... its price and its integrated nature will make a lot of people look elsewhere (KT266A, SiS735)...

Shnak

MSI K7T 266 Pro, Kyro2, IBM 75GXP, Samsung 950P, Win2kPro

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Popular in what crowd?

The nforce has a good bid for being popular in the performance crowd as well as the value crowd. I hope you haven't forgotten than nvidia is claiming this motherboard will improve current tbird performance 10-20%?

You may hate integrated mb's, but many, many, many people purchase systems that have inferior integrated features and are perfectly happy with it. What's so exciting about the nforce is that instead of having inferior features, it's pretty much cutting edge all around. (I know a ge2 mx isn't that snazzy, but compared to the integrated video acceleration out there now it's like a boon from heaven). 200 dollars is cheap for it's 'proposed' level of performance and the numerous *useful* features included.

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
I know all about the nforce chipset the boards with it and so on. I would be ticked if the a7n266 sold out. the dang theinquirer.net keeps talkin about it to much. oh and it will be popular, I'd bet money on it.

Shnak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
"The nforce has a good bid for being popular in the performance crowd as well as the value crowd."

I guess... depends who is ready to pay 200+$ for a motherboard, and then disabling the video card (which you already paid around 50-60$ for...)

"I hope you haven't forgotten than nvidia is claiming this motherboard will improve current tbird performance 10-20%?"

I'm assuming that they advertised this before the KT266A was released and reviewed? If so, the KT266A will be just as fast and way cheaper than a nForce board...

"You may hate integrated mb's, but many, many, many people purchase systems that have inferior integrated features and are perfectly happy with it."

I know that! But people that buy integrated mb's that have inferior parts, they usually bought them because they were dirt cheap and because that's all they needed!

"What's so exciting about the nforce is that instead of having inferior features, it's pretty much cutting edge all around. (I know a ge2 mx isn't that snazzy, but compared to the integrated video acceleration out there now it's like a boon from heaven)."

I know that... but I'm asking you again? Who wants to buy an integrated motherboard??? I sure don't. I sure won't. When I buy/build a system, I want the liberty of choosing which video card I want, which network card, which sound card, etc, etc.

I guess for companies like IBM, Gateway, HP, Compaq (HP?), etc., the nForce sounds like an excellent idea! Somewhat cheap solution with excellent performance (supposedly).

But for DIY guys like myself and many others in this message board, I just can't see why I/we'd be interested.

"200 dollars is cheap for it's 'proposed' level of performance and the numerous *useful* features included."

not that useful IMO... it isn't very hard to find a good network card, sound card and video card... why would I need someone to integrate them?

It's clear to me that nVidia only wants to penetrate into the OEM market... HP, Compaq, etc, etc.

If they'd really want to sell those nForce boards to the general public (as in, not pre-built systems), they'd make a version of the nForce that doesn't have anything integrated. Or just the sound card. Or just the video card. Whatever.

If they could lower the cost at like 120$ while maintaining all the same performance (still has to be proven), well I'd be interested.

But as an integrated motherboard, NO THANKS!

I hope all of this makes sense

Shnak

Shnak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
popular is such a vague word... can be popular amongst your friends. But what counts, is that the nForce is popular amongst all the different chipsets out there... and while its performance, reliability and price are not known, the chipset is still a mystery... ;)

Shnak

Tom_Smart

Illustrious
you can still choose vid card as they will always have an agp slot also. and with a bit of luck you may be able to use both for duel display.

Although it has a lot of good ideas, beer doesn't know anything about computers!!!

Shnak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
yes I admit, if it we can do dual display with our AGP video card and the GF2MX integrated, then, it's nice... but still.. you pay like 40-50$ for the integrated video card...

I'd prefer an nForce motherboard with nothing integrated.

Shnak

Dago

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
you aren't paying for the integrated video so much as having the first board with 128 bit bandwidth to the memory and the fact that the board does precaching. why is it that the naysayers completely ignore those features? i'm still waiting to see some benchmarks. if it performs as expected i will purchase one. if i purchase one it wont be for the integrated video!

--Wassamatta you?--

Shnak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
"you aren't paying for the integrated video so much as..."

take out the integrated video and I garantee you the motherboards would be at least 30$ cheaper.

"having the first board with 128 bit bandwidth to the memory and the fact that the board does precaching. why is it that the naysayers completely ignore those features?"

because those "features" are part of what will make the chipset supposedly faster than anything out... we still don't know how it'll perform though, do we? What we do know is that by having an integrated video card, it makes the price of the boards increase by about 30-40$, which isn't that bad for a GF2MX, but still... unecessary to FORCE us to get the GF2MX if we want the nForce... I guess that's where the "Force" in nForce comes from...

"i'm still waiting to see some benchmarks."

so is everybody else.

"if it performs as expected i will purchase one."

even if it outperforms the KT266A (which I doubt but we'll see), it'll still be almost 2 times more expensive... So I doubt it'll be that popular... but we'll see.

"if i purchase one it wont be for the integrated video!"

I won't purchase one just because it has integrated video.

Shnak

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
"Who wants to buy an integrated motherboard??? I sure don't. I sure won't. When I buy/build a system, I want the liberty of choosing which video card I want, which network card, which sound card, etc, etc."

And "I won't purchase one just because it has integrated video."

Your an idiot. When I wanted to get rid of my VIA problems (in spite of liking my AMD processor) I went to Intel. THE BEST PIII MOTHERBOARD ON THE MARKET at the time was the CUSL2. I could have settled for a lesser board, maybe with an ALi chipset? Or I could have went with a BX, but I really wanted to push the bus speed (no 1/2 AGP divider on the BX). So that left the i815, which meant INTEGRATED VIDEO! Have I ever USED the integrated video? NO!
So, what your saying is (hypothetically) "Even if the nVidia motherboard was a thousand times faster than anything else and only cost $20, I wouldn't buy it because it has integrated video. I don't CARE that you can put a different video card in the AGP slot, the fact that I KNOW it has integrated video makes me feel insecure, like I have a dirty little secret, like I have a few parts to hide, like I'm a pre-op transexual trying to hide my masculinity form my boyfriend" And that attitude makes you stupid. Whatever your response, it probably won't be worth my acknowledgement. Good day!

Back to you Tom...

Shnak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
apparently you don't get my point...

since those nForce boards will be around 180-200$, it's safe to assume that around 80-100$ of that goes directly to the integrated sound, video and nic parts... right?

well I would've preferred not to pay that 80-100$ to nVidia and pick my own components. That's all.

If the nForce boards were to be the same price as KT266A or SiS735 ones, then by all means, I'd be the first one to get a nForce board if the performance is really good (we'll have to see). But it doesn't look like we'll be able to get an nForce-based motherboard for less than 150$... that IS ALOT of money to pay for a motherboard when I already know that I'd disable video and nic for sure... not sure yet about sound...

think about it... why doesn't nVidia want to sell a vanilla nForce chipset? they want to sell more GF2MX and penetrate the market with their audio chip... sounds like a start of a monopoly... ;)

could you imagine if nVidia were the only ones to make motherboard chipsets??? I can't even imagine... but anyways, that isn't the case, and I'm happy about that... ;)

Shnak

Shnak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
"Whatever your response, it probably won't be worth my acknowledgement. "

this sentence clearly indicates to me that you just dont want to hear what others think. Can you say nVidiot?

"nooo! someone doesn't like something by nVidia!!! what should I do?? kill him?? try to talk him through his insanity? hmm.... kill him. Everyone on this planet has to like what nVidia does. IT'S A RULE!"

WAKE UP!

Shnak

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Funny that you started off by saying that the IGP is adding $50-$60 to the cost, then it turned into $40-$50, then to $30-$40. Do you want to carry on the trend? :lol:

These are quick approximate guesses and I haven't looked them up, so play around with the figures if you want.

Normal Decent Mobo: $120
Decent Modem: $30
NIC: $20
cheeeep Sound card: $20? / Creative labs Audigy: $75 to $250...
GeForce 2mx: $50 (cheapest?)

or

nVidia nForce: ~$200 - includes all of the above with a Sounds subsystem that compares reasonably to te Audigy and a GeForce 2mx with better bandwidth (esp. when considering agp memory access.)

Can you afford not to buy an nForce?

<font color=red><i>Poor is the pupil, who does not surpass his mentor</i> - Leonardo daVinci</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by holygrenade on 09/12/01 02:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Shnak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
yeah I know... well the cost of integrating a GF2MX on the board is probably like 30-40$... not exactly sure...

nobody seems to mention that 64megs of the system memory is dedicated (locked) to the onboard video card. Doesn't anyone think that this sucks? First, we lose 64mb of our system memory. Second, it surely won't be as fast as if the memory was directly connected with the video card.

But since most people will DISABLE the onboard video card, that won't be a problem. And those who won't disable it, they surely don't care that much about the performance of the video card... ;)

IF those nForce boards perform really well and they cost around 150$, I'll be interested. But at 200$ or more, no thanks.

Shnak

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Just think about the sound hardware you're getting with the nForce. to get that by it self, you'll have to spend $75 min...

Also, think about the PCI slot space you're saving, Jackpot if you ask me. I always run out of those things.

<font color=red><i>Poor is the pupil, who does not surpass his mentor</i> - Leonardo daVinci</font color=red>

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
"nobody seems to mention that 64megs of the system memory is dedicated (locked) to the onboard video card. Doesn't anyone think that this sucks? First, we lose 64mb of our system memory. Second, it surely won't be as fast as if the memory was directly connected with the video card."

Actually, I bewlieve it is *up to 64megs CAN be dedicated to video memory" Doesn't mean that much HAS to be used. I'm sure people can choose to use 4, 8, 16 or 32 megs for video if they want. Then again, we won't know until we actually start seeing boards.

Of course, with memory as inexpensive as it is, what's 64 megs out of 512 megs?

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

Shnak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
I actually read somewhere that the 64mb would be locked. like, you can't select 8,32, whatever.

but anyways, it'll be slow since it isn't connected directly to the sound chip.

Shnak

Shnak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
"Just think about the sound hardware you're getting with the nForce. to get that by it self, you'll have to spend $75 min..."

yeah... but think that you'll pay that 50-75$ when paying the expensive motherboard... ;)

"Also, think about the PCI slot space you're saving, Jackpot if you ask me. I always run out of those things."

by god, what do you do with your pci slots??? I have a nic and will plug in a sound card soon (waiting on Audigy, reviews and stuff). That's it! Maybe an IDE Controller. That's 3. What else do you use?

Shnak

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SCSI controller, video editing card, TV tuner, firewire card, PCMCIA to PCI interface card, modem, I only USE half of those but OWN all of them, so anyone needing another slot has my sympathy. And nice to hear you changing your story....SO, you WOULD by a motherboard with onboard video IF the motherboard itself performed good and was inexpensive. So I guess you lied when you said you would NEVER buy one.

Back to you Tom...

G

you also have to realize this is only the first generation of these boards, doesn't mean geforce3 won't be integrated eventually, and if it is compariable w/ integrated sound, then I surely would buy one.......

"I might be ignorant, but I'm not stupid."

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I want the Radeon 8500, or more likely an AIW version of it. Now wouldn't that be nice if the motherboard drivers "accidentally" conflicted with ATI video drivers.....

Back to you Tom...