Sign in with
Your question
Closed

BF3 Fullscreen crashing

Last response: in Video Games
September 27, 2011 7:52:34 PM

I have the beta right now for BF3. I can only play in windowed version, and every time I enter fullscreen, the server and the game crashes :(  I hate playing in windowed version. Any help?
September 27, 2011 10:27:05 PM

What kind of video card do you have?

I would suggest updating the drivers, AMD just released drivers with BF3 support.
Score
September 27, 2011 10:33:54 PM

I think this has to do with the bugs/strange things happening with over 1 million people decending down upon EA's servers, give it a little while and let them sort out that crap first, then sit back and enjoy the beta.
Score
Related resources
September 27, 2011 10:46:40 PM

yeah it crashes on me aswell, anyone know where exactly were supposed to get the amd drivers for this beta?
Score
September 28, 2011 1:21:22 AM

did you try the main websites?
Score

Best solution

September 28, 2011 6:19:36 AM

Okay - before you try to play the beta - you should download the latest drivers. That goes for Nvidia, AMD and ATI. When you goto run the beta it will give a message which drivers you need to download should it detect that they are not upto-date. If you do not update you won't get full compatability, so it goes without saying that problems will occur.

All these drivers are located at the manufacturers websites so all you need to do is download then install (making sure you've selected the one the BF3 beta asked you to get.)

Then play. I will say that I was in a rush to play last night and managed to get it to full screen without the latest drivers. But maybe that's just me.

Anyway - for anyone that's interested - on the rig I played on below - I achieved High Settings 1920x1080 and average frame rate of 33, going down to the lowest of 24.
September 28, 2011 6:54:35 AM

I've had a couple of crashes but full screen is ok (latest beta drivers), i'm running a GTX470 @ 2048x1152, mostly on high (ultra textures), post processing off, getting mid 30's mid to high 40's depending on the area, a pleasant surprise.
Score
September 28, 2011 8:20:12 AM

Works fine on my 2 x 570 SLI i7 setup, get 40 - 50 fps on max settings using the latest beta drivers.
Score
September 28, 2011 5:45:05 PM

Downloading the drivers. just released today hope it gives some extra boost.
Score
September 28, 2011 7:08:58 PM

bumnut53 said:
Works fine on my 2 x 570 SLI i7 setup, get 40 - 50 fps on max settings using the latest beta drivers.

Wow, my 2x5870's and i5 750 are gonna be hurting then!
Score
September 28, 2011 8:14:28 PM

NAH HE SHOULD BE GETTING THAT OFF A SINGLE CARD... on the alpha i was getting 45 fps on max settings. x4fsaa. the game is actually only a little more demanding than bad company. the reason nvidia are getting such low fps is without the updated drivers they would be running at 10-20 fps but if you managed to play the alpha then you should be ok to play the beta even without the driver updates. the drivers that both amd and nvidia have put out are mainly for sli configs and both are interim drivers.

Score
September 29, 2011 2:05:52 AM

Alpha was locked settings. So is the beta i believe. All on High. Not ultra.
Score
September 29, 2011 4:28:21 AM

unless i was in the wrong place, the "BF drivers" i saww were for 2 cards.

i went to nvidia site and downloaded latest drivers and i still get booted/screen prolems.
is it a specific one that has to be downloaded.?

Score
September 29, 2011 10:54:25 AM

HEXiT said:
NAH HE SHOULD BE GETTING THAT OFF A SINGLE CARD... on the alpha i was getting 45 fps on max settings. x4fsaa. the game is actually only a little more demanding than bad company. the reason nvidia are getting such low fps is without the updated drivers they would be running at 10-20 fps but if you managed to play the alpha then you should be ok to play the beta even without the driver updates. the drivers that both amd and nvidia have put out are mainly for sli configs and both are interim drivers.

I get at least 60 fps with BFBC2 with settings on full in HD. I get between 24 and 33 fps with BF3 with settings on high. imo - that isn't 'a little' bit more demanding. It's nowhere close to being as demanding as some made out - but this is a very demanding game - and this engine is well ahead of frostbite 1.5.

You're right about the nvidia drivers - some were experiencing an average of 35% increase in framerate when they upgraded them. AMD (ATI) drivers need to be updated too but you don't get the same bump - difference is negligible.
Score
September 29, 2011 6:21:15 PM

Gumption said:
I get at least 60 fps with BFBC2 with settings on full in HD. I get between 24 and 33 fps with BF3 with settings on high. imo - that isn't 'a little' bit more demanding. It's nowhere close to being as demanding as some made out - but this is a very demanding game - and this engine is well ahead of frostbite 1.5.

You're right about the nvidia drivers - some were experiencing an average of 35% increase in framerate when they upgraded them. AMD (ATI) drivers need to be updated too but you don't get the same bump - difference is negligible.

This makes me feel better about my CF 5870's and max details @1080p. I will just run 2X AA and hope for 60+ FPS
Score
September 29, 2011 7:38:54 PM

Man this game is demanding. On my 5850 I can run 50 fps and up on bad company 2 with maxed out but with 4 AA and no AF. On this game it even lags on medium settings, no aa and af. I even got the newest BF drivers for ATI, which are 11.10 Catalyst preview drivers. I still got the fullscreen problem. I was able to go into fullscreen before.
Score
September 30, 2011 5:39:16 PM

I went to the origin site last night to download the beta for pc and i didn't even see a link to download the client.
Score
September 30, 2011 7:32:18 PM

On the origin app on your desktop go to store and select free games and download it from there.
Score
September 30, 2011 10:59:12 PM

o ok i never downloaded origin app, ill check it out when i get off work today, i just went to the website that the official battlefield 3 website directed me too. I didn't notice an app. for download though.
Score
October 1, 2011 3:05:39 PM

Speaking of fullscreen... I'm getting crazy texture pop-in's with my 2x5870's, but only in fullscreen. I'm running the 11.9 drivers. If I'm in windowed mode the game runs flawlessly. I haven't tried disabling cross fire to see if that is the culprit (yeah lazy, i know).

Trialsking, are you having any issues with fullscreen using your two 5870's?
Score
October 1, 2011 9:03:13 PM

I get a different issue, running a GTX 560 TI, im minimum 40 fps in large firefights and in some areas around 53 on high settings (or ultra if the preset even works) but after a couple of minutes it drops down to around 10 fps and stays there lowering the res or putting window mode takes the issue away but then i end up sitting at over 60fps since its not as taxing on my comp, ive had only 1 game that lasted around 30 minutes where the FPS issue did not come up.

also i am running the newest drivers.
Score
October 2, 2011 1:19:22 AM

I have a GTX 460 2gb running the beta on high with ultra textures and get 40+ fps, but for some reason after playing for awhile the window just closes while playing fullscreen...
Score
October 4, 2011 9:40:54 AM

Same problem.

4870X2 with 11.10 preview, but every time I try to go full screen, it crashes with no error code.
(I have tried alt-tab, and doing it via ingame settings).

Score
October 4, 2011 11:35:20 AM

i have latest drivers, win 7, and radeon 5870 non crossfire. i get 60fps 1920X1080 maxed settings in the beta. first day i played it it worked great. second day i was unable to enter full screen. i have been playing in a window sense then.
Score
October 4, 2011 3:14:07 PM

bumnut53 said:

I have 3 comps ....my main is SLid 580's which i get 70+ fps at 1920x1080 at ultra. My single 570 was getting 40-60 frames on ultra and my 560 Ti gets around 30-40 on ultra. I have 8 gigs 1600 ram Oced and a i2500k oced to 4.5 could this be the difference?

Just wonderhow how my single 570 HD can be besting them in SLI ........actually if you updated the drivers it automatically turns off SLI. Might want to turn your SLI back on.
Score
Anonymous
November 8, 2011 1:09:42 AM

somdow said:
yeah it crashes on me aswell, anyone know where exactly were supposed to get the amd drivers for this beta?

I have the fix to all the crashes in bf3 :) 
Make sure to close down bf3 and origin! Origin must not be running!! Then go to your control panel, and press remove program, mark punkbuster, and delete punkbuster. A popup window appers, press finish. Then Reboot your computer. Start Origin, and then RIGHT-CLIK on bf3, and choce repair. Let it do it`s thing, and when finish, the game runs perfectly :) 

Posted by: XcsoX
Score
December 2, 2011 3:09:29 PM

Quote:
I have the fix to all the crashes in bf3 :) 
Make sure to close down bf3 and origin! Origin must not be running!! Then go to your control panel, and press remove program, mark punkbuster, and delete punkbuster. A popup window appers, press finish. Then Reboot your computer. Start Origin, and then RIGHT-CLIK on bf3, and choce repair. Let it do it`s thing, and when finish, the game runs perfectly :) 

Posted by: XcsoX

Has anyone tried this fix?
I have the same problem running the hd 6970 I can only play in window mode. Otherwise my monitor loses signal as I can still hear the game scenes running in the background.
Score
January 22, 2012 4:09:32 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
January 22, 2012 4:09:36 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!