TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
I'm going to get my new Soyo K7V Dragon w/ RAID soon and I was wondering if I can setup my two Maxtor 20.4GB hard drives in a RAID 0 format to have a single 40GB hard drive in My Computer(it will do that right?). The only thing i'm really wondering about is, the drives has exactly the same storage space but not the same model number. One hard drive is newer with black sides and a silver top and the older one has silver sides and a silver top. SO, can I setup RAID 0 with my two different model number Maxtor 20.4GB HD's or do I need replace the older HD with my K6-2 500MHz Hard Drive which is exactly like the new Maxtor in my Athlon system. Hope I haven't confused you.....
Tavis

mark_h

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
lost you at the end there???
anyways raid 0 can be setup with two different hds but it will run at the slowest drives speed ie:5400/7200
& if the're different capacitys the smallest is taken as default & the extra space on the other hd is wasted!!
so you loose space & preformance , which is the point of raid 0 !!!!!
so i would buy a new hd to match your biggest/fastest drive & use the other one as backup on a spare ide channel

TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
That's where i lost you. When i was talking about my K6-2 500MHz system, it has an HD in it EXACTLY like what's in my Athlon system, same model number, storage, etc.(My current Athlon mobo will be replaced with a new Socket A motherboard with RAID). So you're saying I should take the two identical HD's, put them in a RAID 0 format and remove the older 20.4GB HD and put it in my K6-2 500MHz?

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I run a RAID 0 with 2 30gig IBMs. Very nice. I recommend you use the same fast drives. A few years back I RAIDed 4 older Maxtors together hoping to gain some performance, but all it did was cause mofo heat build up and extra case weight. No real performance increase.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"