Mike

Splendid

System:

P3 700mhz, 60gb hdd, 384mbs of ram, XP pro with service
pack 2 and all other updates.

virus software upto date and clean, anti- spyware
software up to date and clean..

I have been trying to do a chkdsk /f for a while now but
everytime i do so I get an error.

I reboot the pc and the chkdsk info starts up, but almost
straight away it tells me that it connot complete
checking my disk because the volume is locked and cannot
be accessed?

I have tryed coing it from command promt and it went ok
if I just typed chkdsk but it would only scan read only,
then I tried chkdsk /f and it said again the volume is
locked and cannot be accessed.. chkdsk founds a lot of
errors so I need to fix it some how but I acnnot get my
head around it.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks very much

null

Mike wrote:

> System:
>
> P3 700mhz, 60gb hdd, 384mbs of ram, XP pro with service
> pack 2 and all other updates.
>
> virus software upto date and clean, anti- spyware
> software up to date and clean..
>
> I have been trying to do a chkdsk /f for a while now but
> everytime i do so I get an error.
>
> I reboot the pc and the chkdsk info starts up, but almost
> straight away it tells me that it connot complete
> checking my disk because the volume is locked and cannot
> be accessed?
>
> I have tryed coing it from command promt and it went ok
> if I just typed chkdsk but it would only scan read only,
> then I tried chkdsk /f and it said again the volume is
> locked and cannot be accessed.. chkdsk founds a lot of
> errors so I need to fix it some how but I acnnot get my
> head around it.
>
> Can anyone please help?
>
> Thanks very much

If the drive you are trying to scan is c: then try this from the command
prompt before running chkdsk /f:

unlock c:

posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
of this message.

Registry and
>data files regularly, and especially before making any
changes to their
>PC, as well as performing regular virus and spyware
scans. I am not
>liable for problems or mishaps that occur from the
reader using advice
>posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given
with the posting
>of this message.

Thanks for the reply but it had no effect.

this is the full error from the command promt window:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Neath>chkdsk /f
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

David

You're not by any chance running Zone alarm version 5.0,
are you? It was buggy and caused a problem such as you
are describing.

If you are running that version, go to zonelabs.com and
dl the current version.

>>Mike wrote:
>>
>>> System:
>>>
>>> P3 700mhz, 60gb hdd, 384mbs of ram, XP pro with
>service
>>> pack 2 and all other updates.
>>>
>>> virus software upto date and clean, anti- spyware
>>> software up to date and clean..
>>>
>>> I have been trying to do a chkdsk /f for a while now
>but
>>> everytime i do so I get an error.

null

> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Neath>chkdsk /f
> The type of the file system is NTFS.
> Cannot lock current drive.
>
> Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
> process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
> checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Have you installed SP2 yet? That might fix it.