xp software updates

i was on the internet, went to windows update, microsoft
said i had 6 updates 4 secutity 2 regarding an upgrade to
the broadband 440 10/10 ethernet, i selected them for
download and install. now after a restart i can no longer
attach to the network via my cable modem. the hardware
(device manager) shows all is ok, my ISP is road runner
and works on another pc. can anyone suggest a resolution

I'm guessing that you are running into the same thing
that I am. HotFix KB828741. It will not allow me to join
our domain. So the simple fix would be to uninstall?? No
luck...you can't uninstall them!!! I just spen an hour
with Hp on the subject. I have to reload the OS to get
around the problem.