Problem with windows explorer after sp2

Hello there,

After installing Windows XP service pack 2, several
problems arise on my Windows Explorer.
When I want to open any icons on the desktop, it cannot
be opened and displayed an error message: Windows
Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.
The following error signnature was displayed:
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName:
shell32.dll
ModVer: 6.0.2800.1556 Offset: 00006474

However, at most of the time, it display the following
error signature:
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName:
unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 90909090

After sending the above error reports, a subsequent error
signature was also reported:
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName:
ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00043345

I did manage to open Windows Explorer from the Start menu
at times. However, I cannot do any things to the files. I
cannot move, or even delete files.
The following error signature was reported while i was
trying to delete files:
AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName:
shlwapi.dll
ModVer: 6.0.2900.2180 Offset: 0001face

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? thanks in
advance for those who can help me...
1 answer Last reply
More about problem windows explorer

    Try one of the following:

    Uninstall SP2 thru add/remove programs in Control Panel. I did this and it
    worked perfectly and my system is back to normal. I then updated all
    critical updates thru Windows Update and continue to bypass SP2 installation.

    Or try this...something I found on here but have yet to try:

    "It seems to revolve around Windows File Protection preventing some files
    from getting updated.
    Install the Service Pack in Safe Mode and the issue goes away."

    "KoOnZ" wrote:

    > Hello there,
    >
    > After installing Windows XP service pack 2, several
    > problems arise on my Windows Explorer.
    > When I want to open any icons on the desktop, it cannot
    > be opened and displayed an error message: Windows
    > Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close.
    > The following error signnature was displayed:
    > AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName:
    > shell32.dll
    > ModVer: 6.0.2800.1556 Offset: 00006474
    >
    > However, at most of the time, it display the following
    > error signature:
    > AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName:
    > unknown
    > ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 90909090
    >
    > After sending the above error reports, a subsequent error
    > signature was also reported:
    > AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName:
    > ntdll.dll
    > ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00043345
    >
    > I did manage to open Windows Explorer from the Start menu
    > at times. However, I cannot do any things to the files. I
    > cannot move, or even delete files.
    > The following error signature was reported while i was
    > trying to delete files:
    > AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName:
    > shlwapi.dll
    > ModVer: 6.0.2900.2180 Offset: 0001face
    >
    > Does anyone know how to solve this problem? thanks in
    > advance for those who can help me...

Windows Explorer Explorer Windows XP