I see lots of EQ2 available for sale in the stores, but no..

Last response: in Video Games
Share
November 27, 2004 10:59:07 PM

I wonder if Sony will ever wakeup and notice that pissing customers
off builts a bad reputation. After seeing what they did to my
Enchanter in EQ, I refuse to buy EQ2. I picked up my copy of World of
Warcraft early on the day of release. They were selling fast. I
went to 5 stores Friday and there wasn't a copy of WoW to be found.
There were lots of EQ2 games sitting there that nobody wanted. I
played the WoW beta for a few weeks and so far, I'm really enjoying
the final release of WoW. It looks like they are very concerned about
keeping their customers happy. It sure is a change from Sony's take
it or leave it attitude. Plus, I like the idea that I can solo all
the way to the top level if I feel like it in WoW. No more sitting
for hours LFG. How boring. In EQ2 you HAVE TO GROUP, otherwise,
you're not going anywhere. I really hated reading the foul mouth
language that many kids used in EQ pick up groups. No thank you Sony,
I'll stick with WoW for now.

More about : lots eq2 sale stores

Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 27, 2004 10:59:08 PM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:59:07 GMT, Joe <Joe@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I wonder if Sony will ever wakeup and notice that pissing customers
>off builts a bad reputation. After seeing what they did to my
>Enchanter in EQ

What, made them one of the most desired classes for any major grouping
and gave them -THE- most in-demand buff in the game? Yeah, DAMN them
to hell!

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 27, 2004 10:59:08 PM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:59:07 GMT, Joe <Joe@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I wonder if Sony will ever wakeup and notice that pissing customers
>off builts a bad reputation. After seeing what they did to my
>Enchanter in EQ, I refuse to buy EQ2. I picked up my copy of World of
>Warcraft early on the day of release. They were selling fast. I
>went to 5 stores Friday and there wasn't a copy of WoW to be found.
>There were lots of EQ2 games sitting there that nobody wanted. I
>played the WoW beta for a few weeks and so far, I'm really enjoying
>the final release of WoW. It looks like they are very concerned about
>keeping their customers happy. It sure is a change from Sony's take
>it or leave it attitude. Plus, I like the idea that I can solo all
>the way to the top level if I feel like it in WoW. No more sitting
>for hours LFG. How boring. In EQ2 you HAVE TO GROUP, otherwise,
>you're not going anywhere. I really hated reading the foul mouth
>language that many kids used in EQ pick up groups. No thank you Sony,
>I'll stick with WoW for now.

That's because World of Warcraft set a single-day PC sales record of
over 250,000 copies sold to consumers in the first day:

http://www.blizzard.com/press/042427.shtml

--
Daudr
Kerra Bard of Antonia Bayle

Joe <Joe@nowhere.com> wrote in news:urlhq0hfpslfm0uea1htsnjnke04uvv671@
4ax.com:

> I wonder if Sony will ever wakeup and notice that pissing customers
> off builts a bad reputation. After seeing what they did to my
> Enchanter in EQ, I refuse to buy EQ2. I picked up my copy of World of
> Warcraft early on the day of release. They were selling fast. I
> went to 5 stores Friday and there wasn't a copy of WoW to be found.
> There were lots of EQ2 games sitting there that nobody wanted. I
> played the WoW beta for a few weeks and so far, I'm really enjoying
> the final release of WoW. It looks like they are very concerned about
> keeping their customers happy. It sure is a change from Sony's take
> it or leave it attitude. Plus, I like the idea that I can solo all
> the way to the top level if I feel like it in WoW. No more sitting
> for hours LFG. How boring. In EQ2 you HAVE TO GROUP, otherwise,
> you're not going anywhere. I really hated reading the foul mouth
> language that many kids used in EQ pick up groups. No thank you Sony,
> I'll stick with WoW for now.

I'm still on the fence on EQ2 versus WoW. Haven't decided which to buy yet,
can't buy either till Dec 1. I liked playing WoW during beta. Only thing
I didn't like was the looting lag bug. Is that still around? Someone on a
forum says it was a few days ago. That bug is enough to make me not want
to pick up the game.

I also liked EQ2. Granted there was alot about EQ2 I didn't like but it's
still a decent game. I've put so much time into EQ in the last 4 years I'm
not sure if I want to continue playing on Norrath or if I'd rather move on
to a totally new universe. I guess I gotta decide in a few days.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 27, 2004 11:28:26 PM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:28:25 GMT, Bebinn <bebinn@invalid.com> wrote:

>I'm still on the fence on EQ2 versus WoW. Haven't decided which to buy yet,
>can't buy either till Dec 1. I liked playing WoW during beta. Only thing
>I didn't like was the looting lag bug. Is that still around? Someone on a
>forum says it was a few days ago. That bug is enough to make me not want
>to pick up the game.

Looting bug? Are you referring to the looting -LAG-? Yes, that was
around in the first couple days, but that's because morons believed
some web site saying certain servers were the best to play on and,
thus, certain servers were being choked to -WAY- above their intended
capacity. They've doubled the number of servers last I heard, and
people have spread out which has helped a WHOLE lot with lag.

Also, getting 200k accounts on the -FIRST DAY- was something they
never expected. NO game has had an opening day that big before.

--

"Bebinn" <bebinn@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Joe <Joe@nowhere.com> wrote in news:urlhq0hfpslfm0uea1htsnjnke04uvv671@
> 4ax.com:
>
>> I wonder if Sony will ever wakeup and notice that pissing customers
>> off builts a bad reputation. After seeing what they did to my
>> Enchanter in EQ, I refuse to buy EQ2. I picked up my copy of World of
>> Warcraft early on the day of release. They were selling fast. I
>> went to 5 stores Friday and there wasn't a copy of WoW to be found.
>> There were lots of EQ2 games sitting there that nobody wanted. I
>> played the WoW beta for a few weeks and so far, I'm really enjoying
>> the final release of WoW. It looks like they are very concerned about
>> keeping their customers happy. It sure is a change from Sony's take
>> it or leave it attitude. Plus, I like the idea that I can solo all
>> the way to the top level if I feel like it in WoW. No more sitting
>> for hours LFG. How boring. In EQ2 you HAVE TO GROUP, otherwise,
>> you're not going anywhere. I really hated reading the foul mouth
>> language that many kids used in EQ pick up groups. No thank you Sony,
>> I'll stick with WoW for now.
>>

> I'm still on the fence on EQ2 versus WoW. Haven't decided which to buy
> yet,
> can't buy either till Dec 1. I liked playing WoW during beta. Only thing
> I didn't like was the looting lag bug. Is that still around? Someone on
> forum says it was a few days ago. That bug is enough to make me not want
> to pick up the game.

They brought servers down late on second night and since then the looting
lag has been gone.
November 27, 2004 11:32:22 PM

"Joe" <Joe@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I wonder if Sony will ever wakeup and notice that pissing customers
> off builts a bad reputation. After seeing what they did to my
> Enchanter in EQ, I refuse to buy EQ2. I picked up my copy of World
> of
> Warcraft early on the day of release. They were selling fast. I
> went to 5 stores Friday and there wasn't a copy of WoW to be found.
> There were lots of EQ2 games sitting there that nobody wanted. I
> played the WoW beta for a few weeks and so far, I'm really enjoying
> the final release of WoW. It looks like they are very concerned
> about
> keeping their customers happy. It sure is a change from Sony's take
> it or leave it attitude. Plus, I like the idea that I can solo all
> the way to the top level if I feel like it in WoW. No more sitting
> for hours LFG. How boring. In EQ2 you HAVE TO GROUP, otherwise,
> you're not going anywhere. I really hated reading the foul mouth
> language that many kids used in EQ pick up groups. No thank you
> Sony,
> I'll stick with WoW for now.

I have both. This are my thoughts on WoW for what they are worth.

It is fun. Being able to solo while waiting for a group is a huge
thing IMO. No zoning is also a very big plus. Call me crazy but I
like the look of the game/characters.

It bugs me that I set-up my keyboard to use the numberpad for spell
casting and stuff, then at some point the game forgets that it saw the
keys as numpad1, numpad2 and so on. Instead it sees the numberpad
keys as end, down arrow and so on. This forces me to redo my keyboard
binds so the numberpad will work. I have bugged this a million times
since beginning beta, but it is still there as of last night.

I don't like being stuck with the windows their way. I want to be
able to move them and size them to my liking, not just the chat
windows, but every single window on the screen.

Is just a bit to linear feeling in the beginning. Well it feels that
way all the way to 25 IMO, but maybe that is because I tried to do
every single quest and they seem to lead you in a direct path without
much of a random feel.

Personally, I think EQ2 and WoW are both good games and worthy of some
play time. Myself I like EQ2 better, but I have 3 friends that all
live in the same town and work the same hours that hang-out in game
with me. This gives us enough of a group to do most anything since I
am a Shadow Knight and my friends are Bard, Cleric and Necromancer.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 27, 2004 11:32:23 PM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:32:22 GMT, "Steve" <saw2814.remove@mchsi.com>
wrote:

>I don't like being stuck with the windows their way. I want to be
>able to move them and size them to my liking, not just the chat
>windows, but every single window on the screen.

The UI actually can be customized a good deal, but it's not as simple
as just dragging windows around. Look into their UI customization
forum at worldofwarcraft.com (not sure if that's the exact title of
the forum) for info. I've never looked much into it, but I seem to
recall hearing it's as customizable as EQ1's UI if you know XML.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 27, 2004 11:52:48 PM

In article <urlhq0hfpslfm0uea1htsnjnke04uvv671@4ax.com>, Joe wrote:
> Enchanter in EQ, I refuse to buy EQ2. I picked up my copy of World of
> Warcraft early on the day of release. They were selling fast. I went to
> 5 stores Friday and there wasn't a copy of WoW to be found.

Where was this? I did some spot checking of a dozen major cities via
various stores that have availability information available online, and
it seems to have been widely available.

It was hard to find at my local BestBuy, because all 119 copies they had
in stock were in a stand-alone display nowhere near the gaming section.

> There were lots of EQ2 games sitting there that nobody wanted. I played
> the WoW beta for a few weeks and so far, I'm really enjoying the final
> release of WoW. It looks like they are very concerned about keeping their
> customers happy. It sure is a change from Sony's take it or leave it

They should be concerned...as a lot of people are pissed at the roughness of
the launch. Lots of server unstability, and they've got the server limits
set low to force people to spread out, making it often hard to get on the
same server with friends.

> attitude. Plus, I like the idea that I can solo all the way to the top
> level if I feel like it in WoW. No more sitting for hours LFG. How
> boring. In EQ2 you HAVE TO GROUP, otherwise, you're not going anywhere.

How do you know this? People who actually have *played* EQ2 have been able
to do reasonably well solo, and the developers say that they will be
accomodated. It's true that grouping is encouraged, but soloing appears
to also work, at least for the casual player.

> I really hated reading the foul mouth language that many kids used in EQ
> pick up groups. No thank you Sony, I'll stick with WoW for now.

If you've got problems with kids, stay away from WoW. You should have seen
the general chat channel on one of the PST RP servers last night, when a
bunch of kids showed up from other servers, looking for a place to pass the
time while their servers were down.

--
--Tim Smith
Anonymous

"Joe" <Joe@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I wonder if Sony will ever wakeup and notice that pissing customers
> off builts a bad reputation. After seeing what they did to my
> Enchanter in EQ, I refuse to buy EQ2. I picked up my copy of World of
> Warcraft early on the day of release. They were selling fast. I
> went to 5 stores Friday and there wasn't a copy of WoW to be found.
> There were lots of EQ2 games sitting there that nobody wanted. I
> played the WoW beta for a few weeks and so far, I'm really enjoying
> the final release of WoW. It looks like they are very concerned about
> keeping their customers happy. It sure is a change from Sony's take
> it or leave it attitude. Plus, I like the idea that I can solo all
> the way to the top level if I feel like it in WoW. No more sitting
> for hours LFG. How boring. In EQ2 you HAVE TO GROUP, otherwise,
> you're not going anywhere. I really hated reading the foul mouth
> language that many kids used in EQ pick up groups. No thank you Sony,
> I'll stick with WoW for now.

I haven't played WoW but I have been playing EQ2 since it came out. I'm new
to these sort of games but I am having great fun with EQ2.

The shear size of the environment is fantastic, simply running around a
amazingly detailed world is great fun. It's like travelling through a
fantasy novel. I loved the huge statue of a sword in the Queynos, that is
amazing as is the voice acting on the NPC's.

I do have problems with EQ2 though.

1. I get the feeling that soloing is going to ber VERY tough. The game seems
made for groups. Every class has a skill that a group will need at higher
levels.

I can see a time when the game is dominated by small groups of powerful
players.

2. Tradeskills, they are hard work!

Apart from that though, it's still a really fun game and i'm enjoying it. I
would like to see what WoW is like but the UK release is a longway off.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 28, 2004 1:24:54 AM

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 22:24:53 -0000, "Cheddar" <whatnoemail@me.net>
wrotC:D RIVE_E

>1. I get the feeling that soloing is going to ber VERY tough. The game seems
>made for groups. Every class has a skill that a group will need at higher
>levels.

Allegedly, Sony is adding more high-end solo content. I'm lucky that I
have a good group of friends from EQ1 to group with, and the pickup
groups I've been in have, with one PAINFUL exception, been very
good...good enough we're adding recruits to our guild from the random
strangers we've grouped with. You also have to look a little for solo
content -- for example, there's very little right outside Qeynos for
me to solo at my level, but at the Oracle Tower and the Steppes,
there's plenty of yellow and white mobs for me to kill.

The "Everybody wins!" model of questing - where, when you all have to
kill a Flummoxing Norgler, you ALL get credit for it, not just the one
person who loots the Flummoxing Norgler Spleen, really changes the
dynamic of the game. Instead of "Get away, that Norgler is MINE!!!",
you get "Hey, you here for the Norgler? Me too. Wanna group?" Since
you'll run less risk and get the same reward for the quest, ad-hoc
groups at spawn sites are a lot more common and friendly than in EQ1.

>I can see a time when the game is dominated by small groups of powerful
>players.
>
>2. Tradeskills, they are hard work!

Yup. Here's the thing -- if they weren't, everyone would be a master
tradeskiller, and then, they'd be worthless. A good tradeskill system
should reward patience and attention to detail. Those who want fast
action and fast results should stick to hacking things. In a
well-designed system, only a small percentage of the player base
should be tradeskillers, but those who are should feel rewarded for
their efforts, not obliged to do it because their guild mandates it or
something.
Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 28, 2004 1:24:54 AM

"Cheddar" <whatnoemail@me.net> wrote in message news:<41a8febc$0$4030$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>...
> 1. I get the feeling that soloing is going to ber VERY tough. The game seems
> made for groups. Every class has a skill that a group will need at higher
> levels.

I can't speak for higher levels, but I've played about 90% of EQ2 so
far solo (currently lvl 18). When I did want a group, I never really
had too much trouble finding one, and now that I joined a guild it's
even easier.

However, I prefer soloing most of the time simply because I get to
keep all the uber drops for myself. Plus, it's kinda annoying how
every time I do win a lotto, someone always says "hey I need that
item".

> 2. Tradeskills, they are hard work!

Yes they are. If you don't like work, just ignore them like I am :)
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 28, 2004 2:52:07 AM

Dark Tyger wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:32:22 GMT, "Steve" <saw2814.remove@mchsi.com>
> wrote:
> The UI actually can be customized a good deal, but it's not as simple
> as just dragging windows around. Look into their UI customization
> forum at worldofwarcraft.com (not sure if that's the exact title of
> the forum) for info. I've never looked much into it, but I seem to
> recall hearing it's as customizable as EQ1's UI if you know XML.

Ahh but that's the wrinkle isn't it... if you know xml. Sure you can
download someone elses, but again, your using one that won't quite meet
your specs.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 28, 2004 7:44:40 AM

> I'm still on the fence on EQ2 versus WoW. Haven't decided which to buy
> yet,
> can't buy either till Dec 1. I liked playing WoW during beta. Only thing
> I didn't like was the looting lag bug. Is that still around? Someone on
> forum says it was a few days ago. That bug is enough to make me not want
> to pick up the game.

No lag at all. Just click all the items to loot really fast and dont wait
for each one. Works. np.

> I also liked EQ2. Granted there was alot about EQ2 I didn't like but it's
> still a decent game. I've put so much time into EQ in the last 4 years
> I'm
> not sure if I want to continue playing on Norrath or if I'd rather move on
> to a totally new universe. I guess I gotta decide in a few days.

How many "expansions" did we have with eq1. 8? Expect the same once they get
you hooked on your char.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 28, 2004 7:59:46 AM

> I do have problems with EQ2 though.
>
> 1. I get the feeling that soloing is going to ber VERY tough. The game
> seems made for groups. Every class has a skill that a group will need at
> higher levels.

*gasp* Sony making it tough on the soloers. Who would have expected that.
/sarcasm off
November 28, 2004 8:22:56 AM

"Dark Tyger" <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:32:22 GMT, "Steve" <saw2814.remove@mchsi.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I don't like being stuck with the windows their way. I want to be
>>able to move them and size them to my liking, not just the chat
>>windows, but every single window on the screen.
>
> The UI actually can be customized a good deal, but it's not as
> simple
> as just dragging windows around. Look into their UI customization
> forum at worldofwarcraft.com (not sure if that's the exact title of
> the forum) for info. I've never looked much into it, but I seem to
> recall hearing it's as customizable as EQ1's UI if you know XML.
>
> --
> Dark Tyger
>
> Sympathy for the retailer:
> http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
> "Door's to your left" -Gord
> (I have no association with this site. Just thought it was funny as
> hell)
>
> Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/

I don't know XML and do not think I should need to learn it to have
the game windows sized and in the places I want them.

I really do not like not having a way to bind look up/down to the key
board either. I try to avoid the mouse for everything but looting. In
WoW I have to use it to look up and down when needed. Really gets my
undies in a bunch.

I think WoW is a fun game, it just has several very annoying quirks
that I do not think would be that hard to fix (though I am no code
expert so I may be way off base here). I want the numberpad to be
recognized as numberpad keys seperately from their counterparts in the
rest of the keyboard, so I can have full use of my keyboard in
assigning keys. I want a way to bind look up/down to the keyboard
without having to use the hated mouse ;-). I want to be able to
easily drag, rotate and/or resize windows on my screen while in game
just like I can any window in nearly every program since the beginning
of the computer era.

That is really it for my pet peaves in WoW. Not many, but with the
multiple games to choose from out there things like this can and do
make it easy for me to take my money else where.

To be fair I have some in EQ2 as well. I HATE the tradeskill system.
They made it far more painfull and tedious just so a few people could
not macro their way to tradeskill nervana.

Sony billed it as "Every class can solo to 50" uhm... bull. I do not
play these games to solo, but I want to be able to solo effectively
while I wait for a group.

Four characters per account? They should fire whoever thought that was
a good idea. If I am limited to a number per account and not server
then give me 8 so I can at least try most of the different paths.

Zoning is way to time consuming in town. The need for zoning is not
needed (as Blizzard has proven) so why do I need to do it every few
feet while in town in EQ2?

When I compare the things I don't like in WoW to the ones I don't like
in EQ2, I find the ones in WoW the most game breaking. They take away
from the emersion more for me more so than the ones in EQ2.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 28, 2004 8:22:57 AM

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 05:22:56 GMT, "Steve" <saw2814.remove@mchsi.com>
wrote:

>I don't know XML and do not think I should need to learn it to have
>the game windows sized and in the places I want them.

Then go to the forum and find a custom UI that's done it or given you
the ability to do it yourself. I'd be surprised if there's not one out
there...

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
November 28, 2004 11:47:32 AM

I hate to burst your bubble, but you have more foul-mouthed punks in WoW
than EQ2. I'm playing both, WoW by far has a larger population of them.

"Joe" <Joe@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I wonder if Sony will ever wakeup and notice that pissing customers
> off builts a bad reputation. After seeing what they did to my
> Enchanter in EQ, I refuse to buy EQ2. I picked up my copy of World of
> Warcraft early on the day of release. They were selling fast. I
> went to 5 stores Friday and there wasn't a copy of WoW to be found.
> There were lots of EQ2 games sitting there that nobody wanted. I
> played the WoW beta for a few weeks and so far, I'm really enjoying
> the final release of WoW. It looks like they are very concerned about
> keeping their customers happy. It sure is a change from Sony's take
> it or leave it attitude. Plus, I like the idea that I can solo all
> the way to the top level if I feel like it in WoW. No more sitting
> for hours LFG. How boring. In EQ2 you HAVE TO GROUP, otherwise,
> you're not going anywhere. I really hated reading the foul mouth
> language that many kids used in EQ pick up groups. No thank you Sony,
> I'll stick with WoW for now.
November 28, 2004 3:52:58 PM

"Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> writes:

> > I also liked EQ2. Granted there was alot about EQ2 I didn't like
> > but it's still a decent game. I've put so much time into EQ in
> > the last 4 years I'm not sure if I want to continue playing on
> > Norrath or if I'd rather move on to a totally new universe. I
> > guess I gotta decide in a few days.
>
> How many "expansions" did we have with eq1. 8? Expect the same once they get
> you hooked on your char.

I'd expect that in every big MMORPG. Everquest has had eight, Ultima
Online six, Dark Age of Camelot four, with a fifth almost out, Anarchy
Online three, FFXI two, Asheron's Call one going on two, SWG one, City
of Heroes... Is there any big[1] MMO that has been out for,
say, a year and a half, and hasn't had an expansion? I know City of
Heroes has an expansion planned, I'm not sure about Lineage 2.

Not to mention that most succesful non-MMO PC games get expansions,
too - all the Blizzard games, The Sims, Civilization III, the Total
War series, Heroes of Might&Magic, Medal of Honor, Morrowind, etc. It
just makes economic sense to do it that way, unless it scares off
subscribers. I don't think it does, but I could be wrong.

[1] Over, say, 100k subscribers, so not e.g. AC2 or EVE or A Tale in
the Desert
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 28, 2004 3:52:59 PM

On 28 Nov 2004 12:52:58 +0100, patrik@nordebo.com wrote:

>I'd expect that in every big MMORPG. Everquest has had eight, Ultima
>Online six, Dark Age of Camelot four, with a fifth almost out, Anarchy
>Online three, FFXI two, Asheron's Call one going on two, SWG one, City
>of Heroes...

....CoH has "content updates" which are free. 2 so far, 1 more on the
way. They are planning City of Villains, but the current plan isn't as
an expansion in the traditional sense. The current plan is for it to
be available as a stand alone that can interact with CoH. (They're
planning on only one monthly fee covering both, though that decision
isn't final and is probably subject to NCSoft approval) So...I guess
"stand-alone expansion" would be the best term for it.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
November 28, 2004 4:03:31 PM

"Steve" <saw2814.remove@mchsi.com> writes:

> To be fair I have some in EQ2 as well. I HATE the tradeskill system.
> They made it far more painfull and tedious just so a few people could
> not macro their way to tradeskill nervana.

It's not so people can't macro, it's to make you choose between
artisan and adventurer and make both reasonably viable. I like it, I
get much more of a sense of accomplishment from my crafting in EQ2
than I ever did in EQ. Part of that is that the stuff I craft in EQ2
is useful from the beginning, unlike EQ where I never really crafted
anything for my own use except some food, but part of it is that it is
a more involved process.

> Sony billed it as "Every class can solo to 50" uhm... bull. I do not
> play these games to solo, but I want to be able to solo effectively
> while I wait for a group.

How is it not possible? AFAIK, it's perfectly possible to solo all
the way to 50, you just have to do it in the right place, and it won't
give as good rewards as grouping. But it can be done, and if some
class (scouts or mages, I'd guess) can't, I'm sure they will fix it.

That said, I don't understand why they hide solo mobs in dungeons
behind the aggressive group mobs, and I think they should make it so
one or two people could solo entrance areas in dungeons while waiting
to find a group in the dungeon. But on the whole I think grouping
should be required for the good stuff, so I don't mind much.

> Four characters per account? They should fire whoever thought that was
> a good idea. If I am limited to a number per account and not server
> then give me 8 so I can at least try most of the different paths.

This is really stupid.

> Zoning is way to time consuming in town. The need for zoning is not
> needed (as Blizzard has proven) so why do I need to do it every few
> feet while in town in EQ2?

One argument is that EQ2 has higher graphics demands, which makes it
harder to load things on the go. It's also easier to implement a game
with zones, which translates to more resources to spend on other
things, and it lets you instance zones on demand, thus supporting a
larger population per server.

None of which means it isn't annoying and immersion-breaking, of
course.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 28, 2004 5:21:14 PM

"Steve" <saw2814.remove@mchsi.com> wrote in news:Qgdqd.98833$V41.63781
@attbi_s52:

> I don't know XML and do not think I should need to learn it to have
> the game windows sized and in the places I want them.

Answer to the moveable bars:
Download GypsyMod
Unpack
Install

Move windows to your heart's content.

I'll take WoW's UI stuff over EQ1's any day. The mods I've already
written make for a tremendously better play experience.

--
Arch Convoker Mairelon Snapbang
Feral Lord Bosra Snowclaw

Mairelon, 11th Paladin
Silverhand
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 28, 2004 5:21:15 PM

On 28 Nov 2004 14:21:14 GMT, Sean Kennedy <x@y.z> wrote:

>"Steve" <saw2814.remove@mchsi.com> wrote in news:Qgdqd.98833$V41.63781
>@attbi_s52:
>
>> I don't know XML and do not think I should need to learn it to have
>> the game windows sized and in the places I want them.
>
>Answer to the moveable bars:
>Download GypsyMod
>Unpack
>Install
>
>Move windows to your heart's content.
>
>I'll take WoW's UI stuff over EQ1's any day. The mods I've already
>written make for a tremendously better play experience.

GypsyMod. Cool. And, the Blizzard devs have said that they'll probably
incorporate features from popular UI mods into the default UI (I'd
assume with credit given where credit is due), so I wouldn't be too
surprised to see the window modification abilities in this one become
standard if it's popular.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 28, 2004 5:21:34 PM

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote in
news:p ksiq0dosvd6mr94g6lfuhl4mpc32ibg5r@4ax.com:

> On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 05:22:56 GMT, "Steve" <saw2814.remove@mchsi.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I don't know XML and do not think I should need to learn it to have
>>the game windows sized and in the places I want them.
>
> Then go to the forum and find a custom UI that's done it or given you
> the ability to do it yourself. I'd be surprised if there's not one out
> there...

GypsyMod

--
Arch Convoker Mairelon Snapbang
Feral Lord Bosra Snowclaw
Lanys T'vyl (Retired)

Dhargo, 19th Paladin
Bosra and his pal Spike, 11th Hunter
WoW ST Testserver 8
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 28, 2004 5:32:42 PM

Tyas_MT <tyas_mt@hotmail.commies> wrote in news:xqydnViMALLL-jTcRVn-
3g@vallnet.com:

> Dark Tyger wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:32:22 GMT, "Steve" <saw2814.remove@mchsi.com>
>> wrote:
>> The UI actually can be customized a good deal, but it's not as simple
>> as just dragging windows around. Look into their UI customization
>> forum at worldofwarcraft.com (not sure if that's the exact title of
>> the forum) for info. I've never looked much into it, but I seem to
>> recall hearing it's as customizable as EQ1's UI if you know XML.
>>
> Ahh but that's the wrinkle isn't it... if you know xml. Sure you can
> download someone elses, but again, your using one that won't quite meet
> your specs.

For general use things like GypsyMod (which gives you the
ability to move any interface element) is more than enough
for most folks - for the rest of us, it's vastly *more*
customizeable than EQ1's UI.

Examples of mods I've written:

HealthWatch - keeps an eye on your and your party member's
health and gives audible alerts at configureable levels -
any .wav can be used for the alert, settings are on a per
player basis (so as a paladin I can have warnings for the
other tank at 40%/20% and for the priest at 60%/30% - since
I worry more about him).

DamageWatch - simply tracks the time from your (or your pet's)
first damage on a target to end of combat - displays elapsed
time, total damage and DPS for the fight. Nice for my Pally to
compare different judgement/seal combos.

ChatWatch - provides configureable sounds to alert to incoming
chat messages (each channel can be on/off seperately and have
a different sound) with optional echoeing of the message
above the player's head.

PopTarget - for the variety of spells known as "targetting spells".
The default behavior for heals and buffs if you don't have a
friendly target when you hit them is for the cursor to change and
for you to select your target after the spell. The only problem
is that the usual hotkey bars are a ways away from the group
character portraits - PopBar pops a list of current group members
at the cursor when you hit one of these spells so you can target
with minimal mouse movement. It makes self casting a simple
double click.

And I'm just getting started - I didn't even know LUA before I
started playing in OB, and I've had to learn the API stuff through
reading other's code. Now there's a WowWiki out there and LUA
is becoming second nature.
--
Arch Convoker Mairelon Snapbang
Feral Lord Bosra Snowclaw
Lanys T'vyl (Retired)

Mairelon, 11th Paladin
Silverhand
November 28, 2004 7:18:58 PM

On 27 Nov 2004 18:59:59 -0800, bm3719@ark.ship.edu (Bruce Miller)
wrote:

>However, I prefer soloing most of the time simply because I get to
>keep all the uber drops for myself. Plus, it's kinda annoying how
>every time I do win a lotto, someone always says "hey I need that
>item".

The only person to date that I see soloing "uber drops" was somebody
soloing Rotroot or whatever the named nasty in the cave that the
Empress asks you to kill in Oakmyst.

Though it was less like soloing for uber loot or more like farming
with your anonymous on so people of the appropriate level for that
zone don't get pissed if they knew your actual level or the
uncomfortable question people will ask you in /ooc along the lines of
"What is there here at your level that you are hunting..."

As for the justification that people whine when you win lotto, to date
from n00b isle to qeynos I have heard nobody in any group I was in
complain about the lotto outcome. So my experience has been the
opposite. There are a lot of fine quests out there for people that
will give them items which are appropriate for their levels, unlike
EQ1, so there isn't that pressure to get that "one" item. Are there
better items dropped, sure, but acquisition is based less on need and
more on greed. It's not going to make or break a character.

If anything it amuses me that people actually sell these quest items
and drops on the market that any player could get for themselves with
a little time and effort and not only will you get the item, but also
some coin and exp. Drops seem quiet frequent versus old EQ. I only buy
crafted items, I never feed the farmers.

The only other question is when the other guy said," I need that
item;" was it an item he could use and you just wanted to try and
sell? Then it is an issue of character (that's the personal kind, the
in in game character), not whining. I inspect all drops rather than
smacking the "loot all" key as fast as I can. Items not suitable,
wrong class, or not an upgrade of what I am using, I pass on and I
share this philosophy with my groups prior to a fight out of the hope
it might rub off on one or two of them. That might be why there is
less whining in my groups.

Just a thought.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 28, 2004 7:18:59 PM

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:18:58 GMT, Shane <noone@nowhere.com>
wrotC:D RIVE_E

>The only person to date that I see soloing "uber drops" was somebody
>soloing Rotroot or whatever the named nasty in the cave that the
>Empress asks you to kill in Oakmyst.

Seems to me that if you're capable of soloing Rotweed, he won't drop
anything...isn't it the rule that grey mobs don't drop chests? I can
still get bog mucous and the like from greys (body loot), but no chest
loot, and all the "good stuff" comes in chests.
Evolution doesn't take prisoners:Lizard
"I've heard of this thing men call 'empathy', but I've never
once been afflicted with it, thanks the Gods." Bruno The Bandit
http://www.mrlizard.com
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 28, 2004 8:15:01 PM

Joe <Joe@nowhere.com> wrote in news:urlhq0hfpslfm0uea1htsnjnke04uvv671@
4ax.com:

> I wonder if Sony will ever wakeup and notice that pissing customers
> off builts a bad reputation. After seeing what they did to my
> Enchanter in EQ, I refuse to buy EQ2. I picked up my copy of World of
> Warcraft early on the day of release. They were selling fast. I
> went to 5 stores Friday and there wasn't a copy of WoW to be found.
> There were lots of EQ2 games sitting there that nobody wanted. I
> played the WoW beta for a few weeks and so far, I'm really enjoying
> the final release of WoW. It looks like they are very concerned about
> keeping their customers happy. It sure is a change from Sony's take
> it or leave it attitude. Plus, I like the idea that I can solo all
> the way to the top level if I feel like it in WoW. No more sitting
> for hours LFG. How boring. In EQ2 you HAVE TO GROUP, otherwise,
> you're not going anywhere. I really hated reading the foul mouth
> language that many kids used in EQ pick up groups. No thank you Sony,
> I'll stick with WoW for now.

Do you live someplace with a choked supply chain or something? I still see
plenty of both on the store shelves. I was able to easily purchase both the
day they were released, and could have done so at any of a number of
different locations. I'm still seeing plenty of both as of yesterday.
/shrug

You like WoW better. I get that. To each their own. However, your claims
here are riddled with jaded and purely anecdotal "supporting data".

--
Rumble

"The floggings will continue until morale improves."
-- Blackbeard
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 29, 2004 12:15:42 AM

> GypsyMod. Cool. And, the Blizzard devs have said that they'll probably
> incorporate features from popular UI mods into the default UI (I'd
> assume with credit given where credit is due), so I wouldn't be too
> surprised to see the window modification abilities in this one become
> standard if it's popular.

Many things that first showed up in Cosmos got incorporated in
the main cliend in beta.

--
Arch Convoker Mairelon Snapbang
Feral Lord Bosra Snowclaw
Lanys T'vyl (Retired)

Mairelon, 11th Paladin
Silverhand
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 29, 2004 4:24:53 AM

In article <87ekieyyud.fsf@pluto.elizium.org>, patrik@nordebo.com wrote:
>> How many "expansions" did we have with eq1. 8? Expect the same once they
>> get you hooked on your char.
>
> I'd expect that in every big MMORPG. Everquest has had eight, Ultima
> Online six, Dark Age of Camelot four, with a fifth almost out, Anarchy

Well, DAoC is really two (Shrouded Isles and Trials of Atlantis) going on
three (Catacombs). The other two (Foundations and New Frontiers) were free
downloads.

--
--Tim Smith
Anonymous

<patrik@nordebo.com> wrote in message
> "Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> writes:
>
>> > I also liked EQ2. Granted there was alot about EQ2 I didn't like
>> > but it's still a decent game. I've put so much time into EQ in
>> > the last 4 years I'm not sure if I want to continue playing on
>> > Norrath or if I'd rather move on to a totally new universe. I
>> > guess I gotta decide in a few days.
>>
>> How many "expansions" did we have with eq1. 8? Expect the same once they
>> get
>> you hooked on your char.
>
> I'd expect that in every big MMORPG. Everquest has had eight, Ultima
> Online six, Dark Age of Camelot four, with a fifth almost out, Anarchy
> Online three, FFXI two, Asheron's Call one going on two, SWG one, City
> of Heroes... Is there any big[1] MMO that has been out for,
> say, a year and a half, and hasn't had an expansion? I know City of
> Heroes has an expansion planned, I'm not sure about Lineage 2.
>
> Not to mention that most succesful non-MMO PC games get expansions,
> too - all the Blizzard games, The Sims, Civilization III, the Total
> War series, Heroes of Might&Magic, Medal of Honor, Morrowind, etc. It
> just makes economic sense to do it that way, unless it scares off
> subscribers. I don't think it does, but I could be wrong.
>
> [1] Over, say, 100k subscribers, so not e.g. AC2 or EVE or A Tale in
> the Desert

Lineage2 expansions are free. One of the few good things I can say about
that game.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 29, 2004 7:55:12 AM

"Wolverine" <ttman21@cox.net> wrote in message
>I hate to burst your bubble, but you have more foul-mouthed punks in WoW
> than EQ2. I'm playing both, WoW by far has a larger population of them.

I started up on a RP server, and the maturity level is higher than eq1.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 29, 2004 9:46:51 AM

Shane <noone@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<m1sjq0pmqupggj1et69sqjc0ug1lvr2vb2@4ax.com>...
> The only other question is when the other guy said," I need that
> item;" was it an item he could use and you just wanted to try and
> sell? Then it is an issue of character (that's the personal kind, the
> in in game character), not whining. I inspect all drops rather than
> smacking the "loot all" key as fast as I can. Items not suitable,
> wrong class, or not an upgrade of what I am using, I pass on and I
> share this philosophy with my groups prior to a fight out of the hope
> it might rub off on one or two of them. That might be why there is
> less whining in my groups.

Bleh. If I win the lotto, I shouldn't be under some moral obligation
to give it to someone else, just because my class can't use it. Maybe
I have another character that can. Maybe I need money and want to sell
it. Maybe I just want to stick it in a bag and leave it there.

I have no problem with someone saying, "hey can I buy that <insert
drop here> that you just got?" But alot of people demand it.

At first I didn't mind, but I noticed that I wasn't getting hardly
anything as a result of my generosity. And with mage books being as
rare as they are and often not being the only mage in a group, I never
had someone give me something they got and I could use.

Bottom line is I gotta look out for me first because noone else is. If
it's not an inconvenience or burden, I'm happy to help out someone
else, even complete strangers, but I'm not in the business of donating
my limited free time to the benefit of others. My priorities are first
me, then RL friends, then guildmates, then everyone else.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 29, 2004 10:30:56 AM

<Joe@nowhere.com> wrote:
> I wonder if Sony will ever wakeup and notice that pissing customers
> off builts a bad reputation. After seeing what they did to my
> Enchanter in EQ, I refuse to buy EQ2. I picked up my copy of World of
> Warcraft early on the day of release. They were selling fast. I
> went to 5 stores Friday and there wasn't a copy of WoW to be found.
> There were lots of EQ2 games sitting there that nobody wanted. I
> played the WoW beta for a few weeks and so far, I'm really enjoying
> the final release of WoW. It looks like they are very concerned about
> keeping their customers happy. It sure is a change from Sony's take
> it or leave it attitude. Plus, I like the idea that I can solo all
> the way to the top level if I feel like it in WoW. No more sitting
> for hours LFG. How boring. In EQ2 you HAVE TO GROUP, otherwise,
> you're not going anywhere. I really hated reading the foul mouth
> language that many kids used in EQ pick up groups. No thank you Sony,
> I'll stick with WoW for now.

You'll probably get flamed as a fanboi for this post. =)

As I am impervious (damn near oblivious) to flames, and still playing EQ
anyway, I'll toss in that I went to pick up a printer cartridge the other
day at the local CompUSA and did my stroll down the games aisle. Not only
did they have probably 50 (or more) copies of EQ2, they had a couple dozen
copies of the collectors edition. I wanted to compare that to WoW, but
couldn't find it on the shelves at all, not even a price tag. I asked at
the checkout and the guy pointed to a stack of a half dozen copies sitting
behind the customer service desk and he said "Somebody's going to get an ear
full if all the people that preordered come to get their copies and find out
we've already sold all of them by accident."

I didn't ask how many of each they got shipped, which is obviously a factor.
I'd love to see some sales numbers nationwide.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 29, 2004 11:56:42 AM

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 16:18:58 GMT, Shane wrote:

> Though it was less like soloing for uber loot or more like farming
> with your anonymous on so people of the appropriate level for that
> zone don't get pissed if they knew your actual level or the
> uncomfortable question people will ask you in /ooc along the lines of

Here's a tip. Even with RP on if you pass your cursor over a player it will
change color. That's the con - so a white cursor and s/he is the same level
as you - red and s/he's most likely a farmer.
--
RJB
11/29/2004 8:55:50 AM

"The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul
up, there's no law against whacking them around a little."
-Porterfield
November 29, 2004 4:53:32 PM

"Joe" <Joe@nowhere.com> a écrit dans le message de
> I wonder if Sony will ever wakeup and notice that pissing customers
> off builts a bad reputation. After seeing what they did to my
> Enchanter in EQ, I refuse to buy EQ2. I picked up my copy of World of
> Warcraft early on the day of release. They were selling fast. I
> went to 5 stores Friday and there wasn't a copy of WoW to be found.
> There were lots of EQ2 games sitting there that nobody wanted. I
> played the WoW beta for a few weeks and so far, I'm really enjoying
> the final release of WoW. It looks like they are very concerned about
> keeping their customers happy. It sure is a change from Sony's take
> it or leave it attitude. Plus, I like the idea that I can solo all
> the way to the top level if I feel like it in WoW. No more sitting
> for hours LFG. How boring. In EQ2 you HAVE TO GROUP, otherwise,
> you're not going anywhere. I really hated reading the foul mouth
> language that many kids used in EQ pick up groups. No thank you Sony,
> I'll stick with WoW for now.

Its the end of SOE, and they derserved it, EQ2 is so boring ...
November 29, 2004 5:11:01 PM

> Also, getting 200k accounts on the -FIRST DAY- was something they
> never expected. NO game has had an opening day that big before.

and probably no game will loose 200k accounts in the first month either
November 29, 2004 5:13:09 PM

> Lineage2 expansions are free. One of the few good things I can say about
> that game.

Its also the most popular mmog .
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 29, 2004 5:13:10 PM

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:13:09 -0500, "Chuck" <nospa@nospam.com> wrote:

>> Lineage2 expansions are free. One of the few good things I can say about
>> that game.
>>

>Its also the most popular mmog .

Nah. Funny thing about how they count subscriptions in Asian
MMOGs....they count inactive accounts as well as active ones.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 29, 2004 5:53:36 PM

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:53:32 -0500, Chuck wrote:

> Its the end of SOE, and they derserved it, EQ2 is so boring ...

So sayeth Chuck, so shall it ever be. Guess we should give up all of our
stock in Sony. They will fade. Chuck says so. It must be true. The sky is
falling.... the sky is falling.....
--
RJB
11/29/2004 2:52:42 PM

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then
I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of
their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of
work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is
better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than to be
selfish and worry about my liver.'
--Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 30, 2004 12:18:31 AM

"Faned" <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in message

> I didn't ask how many of each they got shipped, which is obviously a factor.
> I'd love to see some sales numbers nationwide.

WoW shipped a quarter of a million units in a day, and Blizzaerd was quite
happy to share/show off.
SOE isn't telling anyone how EQ2 is doing.

Read into that what you wish. =)

--
Simond
"I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:18:31 -0000, "Simond"
<apocalypsecow@spamfilterdeletemeplease.dsl.pipex.net> wrote:

>"Faned" <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I didn't ask how many of each they got shipped, which is obviously a factor.
>> I'd love to see some sales numbers nationwide.
>
>WoW shipped a quarter of a million units in a day, and Blizzaerd was quite
>happy to share/show off.
>SOE isn't telling anyone how EQ2 is doing.
>
>Read into that what you wish. =)

....SOE is being secretive, as is their usual SOP.

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
November 30, 2004 12:34:39 PM

"Simond" <apocalypsecow@spamfilterdeletemeplease.dsl.pipex.net> writes:

> WoW shipped a quarter of a million units in a day, and Blizzaerd was quite
> happy to share/show off.
> SOE isn't telling anyone how EQ2 is doing.

Well, there are (at least) 356k characters (one of my
characters is at position 356,617 on the "most deaths" list on
eq2players.com), and with 4 characters per account, that's a minimum
of about 90k accounts. One of the mods also said there were 170k
accounts, IIRC, sometimes in first week, but I can't find it with a
simple search and can't be arsed to trawl through all those posts (I
think it was Faarwolf, if anyone is really that interested).

If characters are removed from the eq2players.com listings once the
account goes inactive (should be easy to check once the free month is
over, for all those who don't like the game), then we will always be
able to establish a reasonable lower bound on the number of accounts,
at least until they start allowing more characters.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 30, 2004 12:34:40 PM

patrik@nordebo.com wrote in message news:<87pt1vwx9c.fsf@pluto.elizium.org>...
> "Simond" <apocalypsecow@spamfilterdeletemeplease.dsl.pipex.net> writes:
>
> > WoW shipped a quarter of a million units in a day, and Blizzaerd was quite
> > happy to share/show off.
> > SOE isn't telling anyone how EQ2 is doing.
>
> Well, there are (at least) 356k characters (one of my
> characters is at position 356,617 on the "most deaths" list on
> eq2players.com), and with 4 characters per account, that's a minimum
> of about 90k accounts. One of the mods also said there were 170k
> accounts, IIRC, sometimes in first week, but I can't find it with a
> simple search and can't be arsed to trawl through all those posts (I
> think it was Faarwolf, if anyone is really that interested).

My chars are in about 500k place in items found. So, that makes
atleast 125k accounts. In reality it be much more as I can't imagime
everyone created 4 chars.

> If characters are removed from the eq2players.com listings once the
> account goes inactive (should be easy to check once the free month is
> over, for all those who don't like the game), then we will always be
> able to establish a reasonable lower bound on the number of accounts,
> at least until they start allowing more characters.

Possibly not since you have to pay to be listed there. No way on earth
I'm paying for that!
November 30, 2004 7:37:15 PM

bombaymix@altavista.co.uk (BombayMix) writes:

> patrik@nordebo.com wrote in message
> > If characters are removed from the eq2players.com listings once the
> > account goes inactive (should be easy to check once the free month is
> > over, for all those who don't like the game), then we will always be
> > able to establish a reasonable lower bound on the number of accounts,
> > at least until they start allowing more characters.
>
> Possibly not since you have to pay to be listed there. No way on earth
> I'm paying for that!

I'm fairly certain the achievements bit is part of the free stuff -
after all, if only the people who pay are listed, what's the point?
"I'm the person with the most items found, except those two hundred
who've found more items but don't care to pay to be listed"? Plus I
think that was one of the basic features, but since I can't reach the
site right now I can't check.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 1, 2004 5:30:22 AM

patrik@nordebo.com wrote in message news:<87r7mbuz4k.fsf@pluto.elizium.org>...
> bombaymix@altavista.co.uk (BombayMix) writes:
>
> > patrik@nordebo.com wrote in message
> > > If characters are removed from the eq2players.com listings once the
> > > account goes inactive (should be easy to check once the free month is
> > > over, for all those who don't like the game), then we will always be
> > > able to establish a reasonable lower bound on the number of accounts,
> > > at least until they start allowing more characters.
> >
> > Possibly not since you have to pay to be listed there. No way on earth
> > I'm paying for that!
>
> I'm fairly certain the achievements bit is part of the free stuff -
> after all, if only the people who pay are listed, what's the point?
> "I'm the person with the most items found, except those two hundred
> who've found more items but don't care to pay to be listed"? Plus I
> think that was one of the basic features, but since I can't reach the
> site right now I can't check.

Looking last night it says they payment is for 'advance' features but
it doesn't say what they are. Maybe you will still be listed but can't
look at your achivemnt ratings etc. unless you pay.
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 6, 2004 5:52:09 PM

"Joe" <Joe@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>I wonder if Sony will ever wakeup and notice that pissing customers
> off builts a bad reputation. After seeing what they did to my
> Enchanter in EQ, I refuse to buy EQ2.

Huh. I have a 67 enc and they didn't do anything to it. Guess maybe they
just hate you.
--
EQ: Binnen 65+ enc - Zeb
EQ2: Lahr 10+ enc - Kith

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:52:09 -0500, "Dan Harmon" <deharmon@bigfoot.com>
wrote:

>"Joe" <Joe@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>I wonder if Sony will ever wakeup and notice that pissing customers
>> off builts a bad reputation. After seeing what they did to my
>> Enchanter in EQ, I refuse to buy EQ2.
>
>Huh. I have a 67 enc and they didn't do anything to it. Guess maybe they
>just hate you.

If you haven't noticed what Sony did to enchanters, you're probably
somewhat new to the game. If you enjoy EQ as a lvl 67 Enchanter, you
must like being a traveling buff-bot. Each their own. I like to be a
little more active in games myself.

For more info on what Sony did to Enchanters, just check out any of
the Enchanter forums. Or click on one of the links I have listed
below. If you go to the Everquest forums, you'll have to change the
view options to show 1 star posts, since Sony quickly labels anything
negative with a one star rating so most people won't see them.

http://eqforums.station.sony.com/eq/board?board.id=Ench...

http://www.therunes.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=39&sid=6...
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 7, 2004 9:41:17 AM

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 06:41:16 GMT, Joe <Joe@nowhere.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:52:09 -0500, "Dan Harmon" <deharmon@bigfoot.com>
>wrote:
>

>>"Joe" <Joe@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>>I wonder if Sony will ever wakeup and notice that pissing customers
>>> off builts a bad reputation. After seeing what they did to my
>>> Enchanter in EQ, I refuse to buy EQ2.
>>
>>Huh. I have a 67 enc and they didn't do anything to it. Guess maybe they
>>just hate you.
>

>If you haven't noticed what Sony did to enchanters, you're probably
>somewhat new to the game

Heh. Dan? New to EQ? Kid, you need to learn who you're talking about.
Try doing a Google search for him in this newsgroup...

--
Dark Tyger

Sympathy for the retailer:
http://www.actsofgord.com/index.html
"Door's to your left" -Gord

Protect free speech: http://stopfcc.com/
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 8, 2004 3:14:44 PM

"Joe" <Joe@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:o pjar0leudemvavp3ujedqn40ddli17ps6@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:52:09 -0500, "Dan Harmon" <deharmon@bigfoot.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"Joe" <Joe@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>>I wonder if Sony will ever wakeup and notice that pissing customers
>>> off builts a bad reputation. After seeing what they did to my
>>> Enchanter in EQ, I refuse to buy EQ2.
>>
>>Huh. I have a 67 enc and they didn't do anything to it. Guess maybe they
>>just hate you.
>

> If you haven't noticed what Sony did to enchanters, you're probably
> somewhat new to the game. If you enjoy EQ as a lvl 67 Enchanter, you
> must like being a traveling buff-bot. Each their own. I like to be a
> little more active in games myself.
>
> For more info on what Sony did to Enchanters, just check out any of
> the Enchanter forums. Or click on one of the links I have listed
> below. If you go to the Everquest forums, you'll have to change the
> view options to show 1 star posts, since Sony quickly labels anything
> negative with a one star rating so most people won't see them.

I've been playing EQ since 3/99. Been to this group since about that time
too, though I haven't frequented it much for the last year (and my visits
will be going down again since I cancelled Giganews again, so no more
goofing off (here) at work soon. :)  ). My enchanter has been my main since
around 5/01.

I know what they did...they decreased our value as a DPS class. Perhaps
your definition of an enchanter was always as a DPS class but I really never
understood any enchanter who thought that was our point. We have always
(until we were broken) been a support class and I have always been happy
with that role. The enchanter class is still way too powerful, DPS-wise,
but I doubt Sony will have the balls to fix them.
!