Time warping effect in Battlefield

Status
Not open for further replies.

novelh

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
When I play BFBC2 and the Beta BF3 multiplayers I get this strange effect that I will try to describe. When I am sprinting the game occasionally jumps back in time enough frames that I find my self running past an area I just ran by about 1 or 2 seconds ago. Its as if the game rewinds a few seconds or steps back in time briefly. This only happens to me in the Battlefield series. I've never had this happen in CoD or Crysis or any other FPS. I am wondering if this phenomenon has a name or is this just some kind of weird driver fluke. I've gone through numerous drivers over time and it still persists. I know when your teammates spawn from your location sometimes it causes you to lag a little but what I am referring to is totally different. I'm running an i7 920, GTX 560Ti, 12GB, etc. You can see my setup plus full specs in this youtube video bit.ly/nxj4H9 Any thoughts on what this might be?

Solution
It's called lag. Your computer is updating positions faster than it can get that information to the game server. The game server then reports what it thinks your current position is and your PC updates with the previous position at which the server thinks you should be at.

If the game's server browser shows pings, find a server with a low ping. Usually, the closer the game server is physically located to your location, the lower the ping will be and less lag.

Also, if you are running your PC wirelessly over the internet, you might want to consider a hard wired ethernet connection.
It's called lag. Your computer is updating positions faster than it can get that information to the game server. The game server then reports what it thinks your current position is and your PC updates with the previous position at which the server thinks you should be at.

If the game's server browser shows pings, find a server with a low ping. Usually, the closer the game server is physically located to your location, the lower the ping will be and less lag.

Also, if you are running your PC wirelessly over the internet, you might want to consider a hard wired ethernet connection.

Solution

novelh

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Thanks for the reply. Makes perfect sense. Here is a little clarification on my setup. I am in fact using a wireless signal. My ping is usually around 100. The servers that are listed first in a search come in at pings starting in the 50s. I read somewhere that if your ping is much higher that everyone elses you will lag the game for everyone else. Is this true and should I be looking for servers with pings closer to mine? I don't want to be the ass bogging down a game.

You won't slow other people down, so no worries there. Of course they will see you as stuttering on their screen. 100ms isn't bad, but isn't great either. The servers in their 50's will probably be better.

Also, try not to run too many programs in the background. If they steal too many CPU cycles from the game, the game won't be able to update the server as quickly as it needs to.

Status
Not open for further replies.