sp2 and norton av

After dwnlding sp 2, I am having trouble with my virus
software.Upon opening the program, it shows Auto Protect
as disabled and I am unable to enable it. Also, Email
scanning shows an error msg.The Symantec web site has a
special link for Dell. It recomends uninstalling and
reinstalling the AV program. I bought my system in Dec
2002 and it came with Norton AV already installed. I have
purchased protection til 06-05. If I uninstall Norton AV,
how do I re-install the proper current version w/o a 2004
Norton AV CD? Can I uninstall IE v6.0 sp2 and reinstall
6.0 sp1?As I understand, V6.0 sp2 is causing all kinds of
trouble with all kinds of computers!! I appreciate any
help! TIA!
3 answers Last reply
More about norton

    You'll have to contact Nortons with regards to upgrading to the 2005 NAV and discuss
    your subscription with them.

    If you want to remove SP2

    How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875355&product=windowsxpsp2
    How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the Windows XP
    Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully

    Service Pack 2 information
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

    List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2:

    How to successfully install Windows XP Service Pack 2.
    http://www.fixyourwindows.com/winxpsp2install.htm

    Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
    What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2

    "lew" <lgheye@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > After dwnlding sp 2, I am having trouble with my virus
    > software.Upon opening the program, it shows Auto Protect
    > as disabled and I am unable to enable it. Also, Email
    > scanning shows an error msg.The Symantec web site has a
    > special link for Dell. It recomends uninstalling and
    > reinstalling the AV program. I bought my system in Dec
    > 2002 and it came with Norton AV already installed. I have
    > purchased protection til 06-05. If I uninstall Norton AV,
    > how do I re-install the proper current version w/o a 2004
    > Norton AV CD? Can I uninstall IE v6.0 sp2 and reinstall
    > 6.0 sp1?As I understand, V6.0 sp2 is causing all kinds of
    > trouble with all kinds of computers!! I appreciate any
    > help! TIA!

    even if your able to down load the upgrade from Norton by the time you go
    through all the downloads and installs without a AV in place, as all Av
    programs suggest, or purchase a supreme firewall. you could save all the
    download upgrades to install at once but you wont receive half the downloads
    until some previous ones are installed so you might be online for long hours
    with a insificient AV. i wishnyou success in keeping them at bay

    "Taurarian Constellation" wrote:

    > You'll have to contact Nortons with regards to upgrading to the 2005 NAV and discuss
    > your subscription with them.
    >
    > If you want to remove SP2

    > How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875355&product=windowsxpsp2
    > How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if the Windows XP
    > Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed successfully
    >
    > Service Pack 2 information
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
    >
    > List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2:
    >
    > How to successfully install Windows XP Service Pack 2.
    > http://www.fixyourwindows.com/winxpsp2install.htm
    >
    > Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
    > What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
    >

    > "lew" <lgheye@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > After dwnlding sp 2, I am having trouble with my virus
    > > software.Upon opening the program, it shows Auto Protect
    > > as disabled and I am unable to enable it. Also, Email
    > > scanning shows an error msg.The Symantec web site has a
    > > special link for Dell. It recomends uninstalling and
    > > reinstalling the AV program. I bought my system in Dec
    > > 2002 and it came with Norton AV already installed. I have
    > > purchased protection til 06-05. If I uninstall Norton AV,
    > > how do I re-install the proper current version w/o a 2004
    > > Norton AV CD? Can I uninstall IE v6.0 sp2 and reinstall
    > > 6.0 sp1?As I understand, V6.0 sp2 is causing all kinds of
    > > trouble with all kinds of computers!! I appreciate any
    > > help! TIA!

    Good luck calling Norton. Better yet, copy and paste
    this link to your browser to uninstall and reinstall,
    even if you just downloaded Norton.

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8f00
    a0188256d4e006aaa94/121fb86cd679630f88256d6f00634b66?
    OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20AntiVirus&ver=2004%20for%
    20Windows%202000/Me/98/XP&src=sg&pcode=nav&svy=&csm=no

Norton Windows XP