Wireless Router loss it's wireless ?

Hey all,

First off, I appreciate everyone whose reading this and hopefully
someone can help me solve this problem. I phoned 1-888-NETGEAR and
they won't let me talk to them because my warranty was over ... how
dumb !!

Anyways, I think my Netgear MR814 V1 Wireless Router loss it's
wireless. It has been up and running perfectly fine for ~3 years now
and all of my devices detected it and worked perfectly wirelessly.
However, recently... my other machines and devices don't seem to
detect my router anymore in windows and in netstumbler. Instead, some
of my machines that are within range do detect my neighbors. However,
the computer that are hardwired to the router work perfectly fine.
This is very annoying Ö

I've done the following so far ... yet I still have the problem

- Resetted router ~> held reset button for a minute: while still on
30s/unplugged 30s/plugged back in 30s

- Resetted router back to factory settings ~> in router 192.168.0.1
config

- Tried reflashing to all previous firmwares

- Unscrewed the antenna and screwed it back in (When I shake the
antenna, I do hear sounds)

- Uninstalled WinXP SP2

- Cleaned install Windows on another partition

- - - -

Gosh, I don't know what else I can do. Any suggestion guys ? Or should
I ditch the router and just buy another one? Which would really ****
because I rather spend the money on something else as I am on a tight
budget.

If that is the case, could anyone recommend me a fairly decent 802.11b
router that has amazing range? Also, does anyone happen to have one
lying around they could sell to me or even give away (c'mon guys it's
christmas heeh ^^

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Also, have a merry christmas
everyone !!

Best regards,
TRUFFLES

On 23 Dec 2004 02:20:46 -0800, kgj@telus.net (Truffles) wrote:

>Hey all,
>
>First off, I appreciate everyone whose reading this and hopefully
>someone can help me solve this problem. I phoned 1-888-NETGEAR and
>they won't let me talk to them because my warranty was over ... how
>dumb !!

Unfortunately, the consumer wireless companies view wireless hardware
as disposable with a life expectancy about equal to the warranty
period. The answer is to toss the thing and go get another.

My D-Link was DOA -- intermittent RF operation though the "wired" part
worked OK. Many, many calls and emails later, they finally issued me
an RMA and gave me a direct email address to communicate with an
individual Customer Service rep. Great! The problem? The email
bounces.

Hint -- hint. I gave up and bought another router and it has been
working just fine, but I've budgeted for its replacement because the
warranty is about to expire.

You've probably already done this, but.....if you use windows XP to
control your wireless networking, check to see if your network is
listed in the "preferred" section of your wireless LAN connection.
Also check to see whether or not you have a checkmark in the box next
to the words "automatically connect to nonpreferred networks". If so,
uncheck it. Furthermore, change the status from connecting to ANY
device to a preferred device. Lastly, make sure that wireless is
enabled in your wireless router's configuration menu.

--
doug Jamal