Giga-Byte Mainboard issues

FiberTech

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2001
I am in need of some assistance. I am using a GigaByte 7IXE4 mainboard with a Duron 800. I tried to increase RAM by installing 256mb sticks. The board will not boot with 256mb sticks installed. I have tried different sticks in each of the three DIMM slots. The board works fine with 128mb sticks installed.
I am running the most recent BIOS update, ver 9c. The manual states the max memory is 3 X 256mb PC133. I was trying to install Kingston memory sticks, so I don't think quality is an issue. The memory works fine in another machine.

<b>Nothing is more dangerous than stupid people in large numbers</b>

G

cheak manual to see if same board revision
been there before with gigabyte

Talos

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2001
The same issue concerning Gigabyte Motherboards and 256MB Memory sticks have been faced also in previous versions M/Bs. No problem with the 128MB memory sticks! Another issue that you must be aware of is not to fill all dimms with Memory sticks! For example if you have 4 Dimm memory slots, try using the 3 of them!! Some gigabyte M/Bs often have stabillity problems when using all dimm slots (e.x. GA-BX2000). So, i don't think that updating BIOS will be much of a help, it's more a design problem on these M/Bs.