asus a7a bios update probs

duckbill

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
First of all, ive got win me, and it no longer supports the command "format a:/s". Thus i am unable to make a proper bootdisk w/o autoexec.bat and config.sys, as instructed on the asus website. The windows boot disk maker does not have an option to make a bootdisk w/o autoexec.bat and config.sys. Should i just use the windows boot disk maker and then manually delete autoexec.bat and config.sys from the disk? Or is there another way to do this?

Second, after making the boot disk with the windows boot disk maker and manually removing autoexec.bat and config.sys from the disk, copying aflash.exe and the new 1006 bios file to the disk, booting with this disk, aflash would not run, but reports ~ "unable to detect system bios' hook". Whats up with this?

I would really appreciate all help, since i need to get my bios updated, since this might resolve some usb issues im having and perhaps give a slight performance boost.

"Try as they might, the cow would not move, nor shut up. Moo."

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
See if this works.
Put all your BIOS files in a clean, formatted floppy. Put your WinME CD in your drive, reboot and enter your BIOS. Make your CD-Rom drive your first (or default) drive at startup. Save and Exit. In the "Windows Startup Menu" press Shift+F5 to enter command prompt. Continue with your regular 'Flash' commands.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

duckbill

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
Thanks for the info. Following your advice i get to the point where i press shift+F5. Doing this only stops the countdown timer, however, and no command prompt appears (assuming that "command prompt means this c:\_ or a:\_ etc.).

Is this "shift+F5" command one of those which were present in win98 but now in winME have been removed? God im beginning to hate winME. It just wont let the user do anything by him/herself anymore. :(

"Try as they might, the cow would not move, nor shut up. Moo."

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Your system should go to a command prompt when booted from a clean formatted floppy with the system installed. If you want a command prompt from booting the HD, then hold down the control key when starting the system, until you see the system startup menu appear, then hit the number of the line that says Command Prompt.