Scanning disk surface with Scandisk: Windows XP Home Edition

Daryl

While defragmenting my Windows XP Home Edition using System Mechanic 4, I
received a message:

'System Mechanic encountered a problem while attempting to defragment the
current drive: C:. This usually indicates a physical corruption on the disk
surface, or other such structural issues. A thorough Scandisk operation
(including disk surface scan) is recommended before attempting to defragmnet
this drive again. For more information on scandisk consult the Windows
Documentation'.

After due reading, I ran scandisk (via My Computer, highlighting my local
hard disk drive, clicking Properties, Tools, Check Now to check the drive for
errors and restarted the computer) and it scanned all files and folders
(successfully).

I do not know, however, whether the scandisk operation performed included a
scan of the disk surface. Can someone advise me please? How do I ascertain
whether or not I have successfully scanned the disk surface? If I haven't,
how do I do so?
--
Daryl Murphy

Mohan

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

hey Daryl
you can boot to the recovery console of windows xp using the cd
from the recovery console you can run a chkdsk /p and then a chkdsk /r
this runs a surface scan and aslo checks the computer for any bad sectors
good luck

"Daryl" wrote:

> While defragmenting my Windows XP Home Edition using System Mechanic 4, I
> received a message:
>
> 'System Mechanic encountered a problem while attempting to defragment the
> current drive: C:. This usually indicates a physical corruption on the disk
> surface, or other such structural issues. A thorough Scandisk operation
> (including disk surface scan) is recommended before attempting to defragmnet
> this drive again. For more information on scandisk consult the Windows
> Documentation'.
>
> After due reading, I ran scandisk (via My Computer, highlighting my local
> hard disk drive, clicking Properties, Tools, Check Now to check the drive for
> errors and restarted the computer) and it scanned all files and folders
> (successfully).
>
> I do not know, however, whether the scandisk operation performed included a
> scan of the disk surface. Can someone advise me please? How do I ascertain
> whether or not I have successfully scanned the disk surface? If I haven't,
> how do I do so?
> --
> Daryl Murphy

pogi1981

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
I use a diagnostic tool, I got mine went I bought a Hard drive. Any CD will do since it has a generic diagnostics. But I used to have the same problem with WINDOWS ME but the problem went away after I install a PCCillin anti-virus and run a complete scan after that.

TRENDING THREADS