VIA KT266a

G

I have two questions...first i would like to know if anyone has any confirmed date on when the kt266a chipset will be available to buy online. Secondly...i have never used ddr before so i am inexperienced here...right now i have a budget of $120 to buy on memory...micron pc2100 512mb cas2.5 is about $120 also mushkin pc2100 256mb cas2 is the same price. Should i got with the speed or the quantity. I am thinking of going with speed because in about a month i can afford to buy more.

Thanks for any help.

Bames_Jond

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Speeeeeeeeeeeed! If you got more money later go for speed!.
I heard once that having three blocks of DDR-memory is not good. So if your motherboard supprots it you need to buy so you have either 1,2 or 4 memory blocks of DDR-RAM. I can't remember why it is that 3 blocks is not good and where I read it.

My name is Jond, Bames Jond.

My ACPI incompatible network adapter killed my SB Live!

G

I would also like to know if anyone knows when the kt266a boards will be available, or even if they only have a general idea of when it will happen. If you read my posts about my computer problems, you will know exactly why I am eager to find out :)

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey L,
Why are you getting 512mb modules? Do you really need 1.0 or 1.5 gigs of DDR? Why not get 2 256mb sticks? Are you a serious video editor? Crucial PC2100 cas 2.5, 256 mb is $36 USD each, Crucial is Micron. 2 sticks(512mb) at $36 each = $72, 3 sticks(768mb) = $108....still under your $120 budget. About the KT266A, nothing concrete......I too am waiting, at least for real reviews with real retail mobos.
Good Luck
Peace Out..........tile

I'm not 1/2 as smart as I think I am and less than 1% smart as I tell people I am.

G

Corsair (Micron) 256Mb sticks Cas 2 DDR2400 are goin for 65 apiece

:eek: <font color=blue>I for one run Quake 3 on a P133(No MMX)</font color=blue>I have no affiliatioin w/ Intel

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.via.com.tw/jsp/en/products/apollo/ddrmobo.jsp" target="_new">Here</A> is VIA's list of the first group of KT266A boards to be released. Since VIA reports they will start shipping their enhanced chipset to those mobo mfrs this week, my best guess is that we will see the boards sometime next month.

<b>God bless the <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue></b>

TRENDING THREADS