Noob on BF3 - Need help on basic gameplay

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
I am new to BF3 and I do not even remember the last FPS I played. Would someone please tell (or link) me the keyboard controls setup. Trying not too look like an idiot as I learn to play.

Thank you for helping.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
For the record, BF3 hasn't been relased yet. Only the BETA is out, which if you have, you can get the key mapping from the in-game settings menu.

This is common for all first person shooters. You go to the in-game menu, look for controller settings/ key mappings and there you'll have all the keys listed.

If you are a first time FPS player, try playing some of the other first person shooters. Suggestions:
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Half Life 2
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 1 and 2

Playing on these games will give you a good idea of the controlls. Plus, in many games the controls are more or less alike. Commonly used controlls:
Move forward: W
Move backwards: S
Move/ Strafe left: A
Move/ Strafe Right: D
Reload: R
Shoot Primary: Left Mouse
Switch weapons: Mouse scroll key
Crouch: C
Flashlight (when available): F
Jump: Spacebar
Sprint: Left Shift
Toggle zoom/ iron sights: Right Mouse

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

I understand it is the beta, but a friend (who is really big on FPS) is trying to get me hooked. I think the last FPS I played was Half Life/Counterstrike and even then I was not very good. Guess I just need more practice.

The other reason I'm trying the beta is to see if my current rig can handle it or if I need any upgrades.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
LG W2252TQ 22in LCD Monitor (Max. = 1680 x 1050)
Viewsonic VA1912wb 19in LCD (Max. = 1440 x 900)
HIS H577QT1GD Turbo(factory clocked HD5770 at 875MHz core, 5000MHz memory)
AMD Phenom II X4 965BE (3.8xx GHz conservative OC)
Corsair CMV4GX3M2A1333C9 - DDR3 1333MHz 2x2GB kit (overclocked using C9 profile)

That's you, right? I see you're doing dual monitors. IMO, dual monitor's are a no-good for first person shooters as the split is right down the centre. It's better to stick to one monitor or if you really want multiple monitor's get 3 monitor's, as that would really enhance your field of vision.

I would also recommend an upgrade to your GPU to at least a 6870 or a GTX570. While your present card will run the game on medium settings on that resolution, keep in mind that you're running multiple monitor's which will require additional power. A 5770 (even at those speeds) may not cut it. Your CPU/ RAM/ PSU are good.

Also remember that BETA releases don't demonstrate all the features of the full game They're simply an indication of what to expect from the full release. All features may not be available in the BETA (DX11, etc). So if you're able to 'max' out a BETA isn't a guarantee that you'll be able to max out the full version.

Hope this helps. :)

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Thanks for the input. Regarding the dual monitors, I actually run games full-screen on the larger 22" and have reference stuff on the 19". I just finished a game using auto video settings and it was consistent 50-60 fps and GPU temps topped at 66C.

Gonna try higher settings another night and following others at the following threads:
BATTLEFEILD 3 BETA
BF3 early beta testers

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Don't forget that "Z" allows you to go prone! Cover is your friend, if you run and gun you will die quickly.
If you are assault don't forget to drop med packs as you go, use you shock padels to revive your team when you unlock them, and if you go as support don't forget to drop your ammo box down. This will help your team enormously

I don't mean to highjack or anything, but I just want to know how good your GPU can handle that game.
Do you get constant 50-60 FPS ? :)
I don't mean to question you, it's just that I'm going for the same card.. that's all..

If you're running the game on one monitor (22'), then it's actually okay. But as mentioned, FPS games on dual monitors, is not good, as the crosshair gets in the middle. :)

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Click on the screenshot link above and you will see the "Auto" settings I had last night. The only change I did was switching it to monitor 2 so I can run at 1680x1050. On my primary monitor (19" 1440x900) I have MSI Afterburner up and did not see much fluctuation in the graph. The card I am running is the HIS H577QT1GD (HD5770 factory overclocked to 875MHz, 1GB GDDR5 at 5000MHz). The next time I play, I will raise settings and see how it does.

On a side note, I would love to make an Eyefinity set-up, but my desk is not big enough :fou: and my wife already wonders why I even have two monitors :whistle: . The 128-bit bus on HD5700s won't handle it well either.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Thanks for the tips.

I will try to find it again. Thank you.

ChromeTusk

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010

Sounds like a good plan. I will have to look up how to do it, but the screens are different sizes/resolutions. They do not line up properly as is.

If I truely had the funds and space, I want set-up like these :love: : http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/11/19/eyefinity_challenge_in_dallas_tx/ :love:
Imagine the full released version of BF3 on the projector screens at the bottom of the article. :sol: