KG7 will not boot with IDE drives on primary contr

G

I just purchased the KG7 Lite and am having a problem on installation. My previous motherboard was an ABit LX-6.

I have always had two IDE hard drives on the Primary IDE controller (1Western Digital 20gig and 1 IBM 6 gig) , with 1 DVD-ROM and 1 CD Burner on the Secondary controller.

I left all jumpers on the drives as they were previously and took the cables off from the old motherboard while leaving it installed on the backs of all
of the drives.

After installing the new KG7 I plugged everything in, with the two IDE hard drives on the primary controller and the other DVD/Burner on the secondary controller. When I booted up, every drive was detected by the BIOS, but the
computer would not boot from the Primary Master IDE hard drive which has my operating system on it. It did not find a bootable hard disk. When I booted from a floppy, I could not see anything on either Hard drive. If I put a bootable CD in I was able to boot from CD on the secondary controller.

On a guess I switched the Primary controller cable to the secondary controller cable and rebooted. When I did that, my IDE hard drives were fine and the computer booted the operating system with no problems from the hard
drive. The DVD and CD rom both function nomally on the primary controller.

In the BIOS, it shows the DVD/CD drives on the primary and the IDE hard drives on the secondary. Why will it not work with the IDE hard drives on the primary controller?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

G

Well here is an update to my troubles thus far. I removed all of my interface cards: Linksys Etherfast 10/100 NIC, Ensoniq/Creative Labs AudioPCI card, Creative Labs DXR3 decoder board. With all these cards out of the MB and the IDE hard drives on the primary I can boot ok. Then I put the NIC card back in. All ok.

Then I put the AudioPCI in. No BOOT. Remove it and put the DXR3 decoder in its place. No BOOT. Keep in mind all the while the IDE drives are always detected and everything appears fine until the PC attmepts to read the boot sector and boot Windows ME.

So it appears I have some kind of conflict with these cards installed & my IDE hard drives installed on the primary controller. I can even put all cards back in and put the IDE drives on the secondary controller and all is well.

1. How do I troubleshoot further?
2. This problem never happened with my Abit LX-6 board. What gives?

G

I just built with KG7Raid and had weirdities with the hard drive too. I was on IDE3 with my hard drive (yes, I know KG7 lite doesn't have IDE3 and 4... but)

At first I thought it was moving my NetGear FA10TX to another slot that solved the problem, but then when I uninstalled the service pack and AGP minidriver from the previous setup (It was formerly a KT7Raid system) and re-installed the service pack and AGP minidriver I could put the ethernet card where ever I wanted to...

I never did figure out why it all acted this way????

I'm stable now with the NetGear FA10TX and a SoundBlaster X-Gamer live... (I shuffled slots until IRQ sharing was minimized) So I never explored it any further

PS: this is with Windows98 SE (fully updated)

(Another After-Thought) Are you sure you havent reversed your IDE ribbon? Blue connector should be in the MoBo connector.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Insidious on 09/15/01 08:44 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Sounds to me like you've mistaken the position of the primary ad secondary controller plugs. I.e. what you think is the secondary controller cable socket is actually the primary and vice versa.

G

I defintely don't have them reversed, because when I switch the cables I look at the BIOS display when it reboots and the Primary/Secondary drives are shown. It always matches the way I have connected them physically on the board.

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
I almost hesitate to ask, but is there a BIOS update available? It sure sounds like a serious motherboard problem, but sometimes the BIOS is to blame.