i've built a new PC in the last week or so with the following specs

CPU:AMD X6 1055T
RAM: Transend 4gb single chip
MOBO:ASRock 880G
PSU: corsair CX600
GPU: Powercolour ATI HD6850
HDD: 1x 500GB Seagate SATA
1x 250GB Maxtor IDE ATA

with windows 7 32bit/ubuntu 11 running off the 250gb and the 500GB currently used as storage until i get a 64bit copy of W7.

the problem is when ever i run a demanding game (Arma 2, Portal 1/2, TF2)
after a few minutes/secconds of it displaying actauly gameplay the screen goes black (or grey in TF2) the audio drops after a few seconds and stutters and my PC restarts it self.

i originaly thought it was UDK which i installed a few days ago but its not, im currently in the process of reinstalling steam and checking to see if i can get a replacement GPU.

any suggestions/thoughts would be helpful.

• Reformated to no change.
  • ubuntu REMOVED!
  • physx drivers make no diffrence.
  • latest and older drivers make no diffrence.
  • 32 Bit windows 7 replaced with 64 Bit windows 7 pro.

EDIT: Problem was fixed with a replacement video card.
  • More about : crashing fixed

October 1, 2011 4:32:48 PM

^+1
    You may as well check the temps on that video card and CPU as well.
    Use HWMonitor and record the temps while gaming.
    When the PC restarts, does it show any sorts of a bluescreen or so? Or does it show any error or message after it booted into windows again?
    m
    l
    October 2, 2011 6:13:05 AM

no error message apart from the option to boot in safe mode, GPU temp is around 30-35c, drivers are upto date and i can run Call of duty 4 on ultra high with no problems but all my other games seem to do it (gmod, hl2, portal, arma) i've tried reinstalling steam and now it doesn't even open.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    October 2, 2011 8:10:30 AM

Do you really need a dual OS. You can always boot ubuntu through a USB if you'd like. Install Win7 on one of the HDD. Use the 250GB HDD.
    m
    l
    October 2, 2011 12:55:16 PM

I notice you havnt said how much RAM you have? Although i doubt this is the problem as you said that you can play COD4 without any issues.

When you installed you W7 32bit did you transplant it from your previous system or is it a fresh install?
    m
    l
    October 2, 2011 1:45:36 PM

RAM might bot be the problem here, becase if it was, he'd be experiencing blue screens.
    But it's always good to test the RAM using memtest86.
    Good sggestion Arc2571. :) 
    m
    l
    October 2, 2011 3:03:18 PM

i don't even use ubuntu but it was a hassle to get rid of, until now, i formated both HDD's and installed a 64bit version of windows 7 pro, programs i have copied from control panel:

Utorrent
    Adobe flashplayer pluging 10
    AMD catalyst install manager
    CPUID CPU-Z 1.58
    Foxit reader 5.0
    java 6 U27
    MS vis C++ 2005, 2008 and 2010 redistrabute
    Mozzila firefox 7.0.1
    Razer lacesis 5600
    realtek eathernet controler driver (from Mobo disk)
    Steam
    Teamspeak 3
    VIA platform device manager (from mobo disk)
    WinRAR 4.01

Not on list:
    and minecraft (which it just crashed on again!) and HD VDeck (audio driver from mobo disk)

i have a single transend 4gb RAM chip.

so if it is a software issue its a small list.
    m
    l
    October 2, 2011 3:09:25 PM

Does the problem still occur?
    m
    l
    October 2, 2011 3:20:30 PM

I think the best for you to try like the rest say is to first:

1. Download all of the NEW drivers you need, I hope you know how.
    2. Install Windows 7 [only, without Ubuntu].
    3. Install drivers

try again then... :)  Hope it helps
    m
    l
    October 2, 2011 3:23:55 PM

indeed it does, im trying to downgrade my drivers at the moment, i also have cpuid hardware monitor in the background looking at the peak temps, cpu is around 27c(80f) MAX, voltage is 141w max, GPU is taking in 1.15V and at 45c (113F) max
    m
    l
    October 2, 2011 3:28:55 PM

the drivers are as new as i could find, and if you read the above post i compleatly wiped my HDD's of both OS's and reinstalled W7 by it self.
    m
    l
    October 2, 2011 3:51:10 PM

Have you try the "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer"?

and have you try to run it with XP compatibility mode maybe that can help? just try.

but the problem sounds more like that the PSU is not ok.
    m
    l
    October 2, 2011 3:53:23 PM

It look like when damand comes the PSU gives up, Do you have any PSU tester or any other PSU to try?
    m
    l
    October 2, 2011 3:53:29 PM

Check the RAM for errors using memtest86.
    m
    l
    October 2, 2011 6:34:03 PM

i still haven't read what ram you have, how much and how you're running it and in what slots......

here's something off the wall........ and i know you're running an ATI/AMD card......... go to nvidias driver page. look for the PHYSX DRIVER ONLY....... download and install.

DOES IT STILL DO IT ?
    m
    l
    October 2, 2011 7:05:17 PM

i had the physx driver from my old card i forgot to remove and it was doing it then

4gb of ram, transend, first slot.

the psu is 2-3 days old, i replaced it when i first got the problem, the original was a shaw 680, replaced with the corsair 600w, the card and processor should only need 500w.
    m
    l
    October 2, 2011 9:57:04 PM

after you update the physx driver... check the BIOS and make sure the video points to the card not the onboard ( peg or auto )...... if your board has hybrid graphics disable it. Only messed with it once but see if it has side port mem0ry and if it does can it be disabled... ??? YOUR memory... one 4gig stick from what I see. Is the voltage correct and I have found when running some memory you need to slightly increase the voltage. Not sure if you feel comfortable but you might want to look into it. Disconnect the Ubuntu drive and just run thew W7 drive. The disc for the mother board. you said you ran some bloatware off the disc. Uninstall it. And then look to see if you missed anything the mother board might really need.....
    m
    l
    October 3, 2011 12:04:57 PM

Don't forget to check the RAM for errors using memtest86. You should definitely try it. :) 
    m
    l
    October 5, 2011 10:55:34 AM

physx drivers make no diffrence at all, trying memtest now.

i also noticed there are slight vertical lines on the screen when it crashes

m
    l
    October 5, 2011 12:30:12 PM

Did you find any errors with memtest?
    m
    l
    October 5, 2011 12:49:44 PM

long shot but it might be your grafix card, had a friend with a similar issue, a PowerColor 295GTX and it kept rebooting, after the 3rd RMA they sent him a new card.
    m
    l
    October 5, 2011 3:41:26 PM

uninstalled nvidia drivers ( graphics and physx ) uninstall ati/amd drivers......... ) graphics and sound only NOT mother board drivers )... ?? reboot, ley windows find card and install it's own drivers. how does it work ?............if not ......THEN ......... pull card. run machine off of on board video... work ?
    m
    l
    October 6, 2011 2:23:05 AM

i just installed a replacement card i got from the store, same model nothing so far.

i was having trouble with burning memtest86 to disk/usb but im buying another 4gb stick of ram anyway so i can just swap them out if somethings wrong.
    m
    l
    October 6, 2011 4:31:54 AM

So, right now, you aren't having any problems?
    That's good..
    Report back if any problems arises again. :) 
    m
    l
    October 6, 2011 6:08:57 AM

make sure high precision event timer is enabled and matches your o.s if your using vista or 7... not setting it to the bit rate of your o.s will make your pc crash, bsod and hang...
    this is often missed on new builds so check its correctly set.
    m
    l
    October 7, 2011 2:12:47 PM

nothing so far and i've been running games on full graphics a fair bit since i got the replacement must have been the card, the guy at the store said there was no pulse, what ever that means.
    m
    l
    !