Proccessor Upgrades

G

Although the post says Processor, this is pertaining to motherboards. I have a Tyan S1952 Dual motherboard with a PII 450 processor. The spec's on the Web site say I can upgrade to a PIII 550. My question is what would happen if I put something larger in it? Why can't I put any speed processor as long as it fits in the Slot.

Another Question. My current Setup is a Tyan (Thunder X) S1952, with a PII 450 Xeon processor 2MG cache. Now this is a Dual processor Motherboard and in the Second processor slot is some kinda of computer chip/card and was wondering if this was a cashe upgrade! anyone know. Sorry aobut the windy message.

Thanks

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It depends on your board... Intel keeps changing the processor type... 66Mhz. 100Mhz PPGA, FCPGA, B, EB etc... (One of my own systems is limited to 533Mhz Celeron but it needs to be PPGA, FCPGA will not work).
Also it depends on the multiplier on your board set a limit as to how fast ur processor can go... U will need to check your Mobo manual... if U can, go to the manufacturers website, they should have an up-to-date jumper setting list(if U have to manually change jumpers) or just a list of all allowable processors 4 UR board.

About UR second board... email TYAN tech support for that mobo... they can tell U straight off (or tell U to B****R off but hey what do U have 2 lose)

---If at first you dont succeed... get a bigger hammer... that'll teach it !!!---

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That thing in your XEON mobo is a BUS TERMINATOR. If you remove it you can put a second CPU in it. Although 2MB XEONS are stiull quite pricey, you can get 1MB XEON 450's for around $30 on procewatch!
As for the PIII motherboard, it's only a matter of whether it supports Coppermine processors. If it doesn't, your limmited to the 600 Katmai (aka 512k cache version).

Back to you Tom...