files restrictions

Hello.
I need to know if I can prevent an user (the guest user, for example) of
accessing a while drive. I have WinXP SP1.
Thanks in advance.
8 answers Last reply
More about files restrictions

    Damian,

    Yes, you can. Load the Guest account's hive
    (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_adv_reg_editing.htm) and apply this
    policy: NoViewOnDrive:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/regentry/93573.asp

    Using that method, application can still write to the drive. To prevent that
    assign appropriate permissions for that folder(s)

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    "Damian Waics" <faku@speedy.com.ar_RemoveThisLinePlease,Thanks> wrote in
    message news:OGm3BzirEHA.1232@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    Hello.
    I need to know if I can prevent an user (the guest user, for example) of
    accessing a while drive. I have WinXP SP1.
    Thanks in advance.

    Thanks for helping!
    Even though I did this, files can still be accessed. When logged on with an
    account that has no access to, for example the D drive, you can go to
    Start --> Run or just the address bar of any opened folder and type "D:\"
    and there'll be a list with the folders, and you can go to "D:\Example\" and
    it will list the files like "D:\Example\File1.txt" and by selecting that,
    that files is opened.
    Did I do something wrong?

    > Damian,
    >
    > Yes, you can. Load the Guest account's hive
    > (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_adv_reg_editing.htm) and apply this
    > policy: NoViewOnDrive:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/regentry/93573.asp

    > Using that method, application can still write to the drive. To prevent
    that
    > assign appropriate permissions for that folder(s)
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Damian Waics" <faku@speedy.com.ar_RemoveThisLinePlease,Thanks> wrote in
    > message news:OGm3BzirEHA.1232@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Hello.
    > I need to know if I can prevent an user (the guest user, for example) of
    > accessing a while drive. I have WinXP SP1.
    > Thanks in advance.

    Damian,

    It works fine here. Did it through Group Policy Editor and not through registry directly.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Damian Waics" <faku@speedy.com.ar_RemoveThisLinePlease,Thanks> wrote in message news:uBJQYrlsEHA.3788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    Thanks for helping!
    Even though I did this, files can still be accessed. When logged on with an
    account that has no access to, for example the D drive, you can go to
    Start --> Run or just the address bar of any opened folder and type "D:\"
    and there'll be a list with the folders, and you can go to "D:\Example\" and
    it will list the files like "D:\Example\File1.txt" and by selecting that,
    that files is opened.
    Did I do something wrong?

    > Damian,
    >
    > Yes, you can. Load the Guest account's hive
    > (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_adv_reg_editing.htm) and apply this
    > policy: NoViewOnDrive:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/regentry/93573.asp

    > Using that method, application can still write to the drive. To prevent
    that
    > assign appropriate permissions for that folder(s)
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
    > http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
    >

    > "Damian Waics" <faku@speedy.com.ar_RemoveThisLinePlease,Thanks> wrote in
    > message news:OGm3BzirEHA.1232@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Hello.
    > I need to know if I can prevent an user (the guest user, for example) of
    > accessing a while drive. I have WinXP SP1.
    > Thanks in advance.

    Great leggie, Warne!

    ......... and, Dravid hits two consecutive boundaries off Warne. Just an over before lunch.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message news:OJX3%23mnsEHA.1400@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    32.3 Warne has the world record. Gets the ball to move away from Pathan who gets a thick edge on it to the safe hands of Hayden in first slip. The Aussies in the crowd go mad as Warne holds the ball up to show them. 533 Test Wickets, CONGRATULATIONS!!

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message news:OTI2KlnsEHA.2556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    29.6 Damien Martyn throws the ball lazily in and Gilchrist misses it. It runs all the way to the boundary for four!

    29.1 Kasprowicz is angling the ball in at Pathan's legs, and he defends with a straight bat. The next delivery is a no ball.

    28.6 Sehwag goes for the big shot, hitting against the spin down to long on for four. (Ind. 1 / 71)

    28.4 Pathan works the ball forward of square on the leg side as they scurry for a single.

    28.2 The ball hits a footprint on the pitch and turns sharply away, pulled up just short of the boundary. Shepherd calls byes.

    28.1 Sehwag smashes the ball through mid wicket for a big four as Warne is brought back on.

    --
    <snip>

    http://live.smh.com.au/live/cricket/index140.htm

    I'm reading it here.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message news:OVgog3nsEHA.3052@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
[...]

    Here's an interesting article I'm reading on India.

    http://www.raaf.gov.au/airpower/publications/conferences/2002/07-Mitra.pdf

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message news:eAo5xzosEHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
[...]

    With all the money in Politicians pockets (right from State to Central Govt), we can't imagine of being a super-power.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%2361GZyysEHA.1924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
[...]

    Very recent issue happened, top CBI officer himself involved in the scam (estimated, 30 Crore INR)

    Fake stamp paper case: CBI questions IPS officer of TN cadre : National News : IndiaExpress.Com:
    http://www.indiaexpress.com/news/national/20041006-2.html

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Ramesh [MVP]" <ramesh@nojunkmails.com@mvps.org> wrote in message news:eZFFNXzsEHA.2800@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    With all the money in Politicians pockets (right from State to Central Govt), we can't imagine of being a super-power.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message news:%2361GZyysEHA.1924@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    Here's an interesting article I'm reading on India.

    http://www.raaf.gov.au/airpower/publications/conferences/2002/07-Mitra.pdf

    --
    <snip>

Microsoft Windows XP