Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Battlefield 3 - Requirements and INFO

Last response: in Video Games
October 1, 2011 9:11:12 AM

This post is intended to cater to queries pertaining to Battlefield 3, considering the number of queries which are being raised by way of several threads. Members are invited to add their inputs.

Release date: 25th October, 2011

As per the latest ‘intel’, the system requirements announced for the game are as under:

Minimum requirements for Battlefield 3
• Processor: Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz
• RAM: 2GB
• Graphic card: DirectX 10 or 11 compatible Nvidia or AMD ATI card.
• Graphics card memory: 512 MB
• Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

Recommended system requirements for Battlefield 3
• Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
• RAM: 4GB
• Graphics card: DirectX 11 Nvidia or AMD ATI card, GeForce GTX 460, Radeon Radeon HD 6850
• Graphics card memory: 1 GB
• Hard drive: 15 GB for disc version or 10 GB for digital version

EA Origin will be required for playing the game on the PC. It will however, not be required for the PS3/ XBOX360

The Xbox 360 version of Battlefield 3 will be shipping on two discs due to the disc size limit.[25] However, the PS3 version of Battlefield 3 will be shipping on one Blu-ray Disc.

All pre-orders of the Limited Edition will grant access to the "Back to Karkand" DLC pack, a reference to the "Strike at Karkand" map (a popular BF2 map), to include four maps and several weapons and vehicles brought over from Battlefield 2.

The open beta commenced on September 29, 2011 for all platforms.

Member’s are invited to contribute their opinions in order to facilitate those seeking information on the game.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlefield_3#Wii_U_versio...
http://www.battlefield.com/battlefield3
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/218937/20110923/battlef...
www.xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1192548p1.html
October 2, 2011 12:34:14 AM

I'll happily bump it by saying: thank you.

However I can imagine that if this was stickied, then we'd have a Skyrim sticky, then a The Old Republic sticky, then a Runescape sticky, and then a Pokemon sticky :/ 

-Nih
October 2, 2011 6:19:10 AM

Perhaps it would, but I guess the need of the hour is that of BF3. Also, once the game is launched and people start getting answers, this could be removed. At least the number of threads on BF3 would reduce, which won't be a bad thing considering how every third post or so is a query about whether BF3 would run on a rig. :) 
Related resources
October 2, 2011 9:54:23 AM

I agree, there are already way too many posts on the same subject "Can my rig play this?" At least till the final release is upon us, I vote for sticky.
October 2, 2011 12:45:38 PM

The title of this topic has been edited by Reynod
This topic has been sticky in top of the forum by Reynod
October 2, 2011 12:47:32 PM

namelessonez,

Thanks for the sticky!
October 3, 2011 6:14:02 AM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
namelessonez,

Thanks for the sticky!

Anytime! :) 
October 4, 2011 11:02:14 AM

OK, I have a question to ask. I currently have a laptop which is running an Intel 2 Duo processor 2.53Ghz, with 4 GB of RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS. This video card supports DirectX 10 but can it support DirectX 10.1?

The minimum specifications of running Battlefield 3 is that it needs DirectX 10.1 compatible card from AMD and DirectX 10.0 from NVIDIA.

Thanks!

:wahoo: 
October 4, 2011 3:29:16 PM

Blanchflower said:
OK, I have a question to ask. I currently have a laptop which is running an Intel 2 Duo processor 2.53Ghz, with 4 GB of RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS. This video card supports DirectX 10 but can it support DirectX 10.1?

The minimum specifications of running Battlefield 3 is that it needs DirectX 10.1 compatible card from AMD and DirectX 10.0 from NVIDIA.

Thanks!

:wahoo: 

Well, if you have a Nvidia card, that supports DirectX 10, and that's what the game requires as well, you said it. Where's the problem? And actually, on Nvidia website it's stated that the 9800 GT is a DirectX 10 card, so am not sure you can upgrade that.
October 7, 2011 5:05:23 AM

Hi,

I'm completely clueless when it comes to computer parts, but I have a general idea of what does what. I asked a friend to give me advice on buying parts to build a custom gaming PC, and he gave me the following:

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO REV
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600k
Graphics Card: ATI HD 6950
RAM: Kingston Hyper X OR Corsair 1600

Will this be enough to play BF3 on a medium to high setting? If you guys think anything should be changed, do tell!

Thanks!
October 7, 2011 5:10:37 AM

It should definitely be able to run the game on medium-high settings. What resolution are you planning to run the game at?
October 7, 2011 5:25:04 AM

Um, I'm getting a new monitor too, so I'm not quite sure what resolution i'll be using. Maybe around 1440x900? :p 

Thanks for the help!
October 7, 2011 5:29:34 AM

At that resolution, I'm certain you shouldn't have any problems even on high settings. We officially do not know the various levels of settings which will be offered in the game, whether there will be some 'ultra' settings as well or not. But with the resolution you're looking at, it shouldn't be an issue.
October 7, 2011 5:30:57 AM

Oh ok, very reassuring :D 

Thank you again, looks like I'll need to start building!
October 9, 2011 4:39:29 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum. Excuse my stupidity if I'm posting in the wrong section but my query seems appropriate. I sold my PS3, an arm and a leg to get this mid-ranged PC but I'm having issues, hoping for some advice. Also, excuse my crappy PC specs compared to your Behemoths. I run;

-AMD Phenom X3 Triple Core Processor 8600B 2.3Ghz
-XFX 9800GT (Upgraded now to XFX HD Radeon 4870 1GB DDR5)
-2GB ram
-32-Bit Windows 7
-Resolution: 1024 x 786
-500W PSU

I used to play BF3 Beta on My 9800GT but the performance was really bad. I'd get about 15-30fps on Operation Metro on all low settings. Reducing the resolution to a shitty 800 x 600 wouldn't effect the FPS one bit. I recently upgraded to XFX 4870, there is improvement in Metro, I get 25-60 most of the time, sometimes falls under. Sometimes pushes 60+ indoors.

Caspian border is another story. It goes around 15-35 fps. Again, it feels like I'm playing at 5fps. All settings set to low/med/high seem to give about 1fps difference from each other, that's all.
I want to know if this issue is with the Beta itself, not well optimized or my system isn't good enough. I was told upgrading to 4870 would give 30+ on my resolution but this seems not to be the case. I am absolutely broke at this point but If I am to spend money(miserly), what is it that I should work on upgrading?

Help would be greatly appreciated, sorry again if I posted in the wrong section!
October 12, 2011 12:33:09 PM

Hey guys , I just wonder if its will run good using medium settings with Q9550 stock speed and HD4870X2(Single Card), 4GB DDR2 1033or1066MHZ speed ..

Thanks

October 25, 2011 12:04:17 AM

Sadly its not available till the 27th here is Aussie.......sad face
October 26, 2011 10:11:13 PM

The title of this topic has been edited by Area51reopened
October 26, 2011 11:55:47 PM

Right now I'm running it on:

Q6600 o/c'd to 3.6ghz
1066 ddr2 ram - 8GB
evga gtx 570

I have the settings on auto that puts textures at ultra, and the rest on high mostly. I also have v-sync on and 1080p resolution. I get at least 30 fps and highs in the 60-70 range depends on the map. Indoor maps don't tax the system nearly as much as the outdoor ones.

The slightest overclock on the gpu causes the game to crash within minutes. At stock gpu, it'll still crash but not as quickly. Latest nvidia release drivers. My pre-order got here yesterday but today's the first chance I've had to take a crack at the campaign.

Just throwing that out there for the folks wondering if their system can handle it. It'll work right sooner or later. Great game! :D 

Edit: I don't like clicking the Battlefield 3 icon to open Origin, then click on Battlefield 3 to open a browser, and then finally selecting "Campaign" to start the actual game, lol.. lil rant.
Ok, one more... what's with the invisible objects between me and the dude in my crosshairs? It happens when I'm firing through an area that was damaged, like the aluminum siding used on a handrail got blown off and I'm now shooting through the freshly opened area. I noticed some you can't kill simply because it is part of a scripted event. That's different. I have it on hard difficulty, and since Im not a very good gamer to begin with, i'm getting spanked and need a break. It's nice to see enemies react to your repeated missed shots and start returning fire :D  ok /rant off
October 27, 2011 1:44:46 AM

Can't wait to get my hands on this game. I just hate it how everyone from COD is moving into BF3. Oh well, the elite players will be shooting down the noobs :D 
November 1, 2011 7:56:44 AM

I have a question. How do I change the language of Origin to English? I installed from disc and cannot continue installation because I cannot understand the language in Origin. I think it's Finnish when I checked google translate. How do I solve this? I'm in Manila and it's supposed to be in English.
November 1, 2011 8:01:03 AM

The installer should have the language box popping up at the very beginning before proceeding to the installation process. It gives you the option of selecting your preferred language. Did you not get that? You may want to try uninstalling the whole gambit and doing a fresh install.
November 1, 2011 8:05:47 AM

Yes I saw that, default is english so I proceeded, I already re-installed about 4 times now and still the same..
November 1, 2011 4:54:19 PM

clonazepam said:
The slightest overclock on the gpu causes the game to crash within minutes. At stock gpu, it'll still crash but not as quickly. Latest nvidia release drivers. My pre-order got here yesterday but today's the first chance I've had to take a crack at the campaign.

It runs pretty solid now. I just cranked the volts up to 1.05v and it'll take an overclock up to 850mhz core and works wonderfully. Unfortunately, the overclock produces next to nothing in terms of a performance increase (not surprised- see cpu), so I backed it down to 800mhz just so I could say its overclocked... Still haven't finished my other rig, so I'm trying to stay away from the game until I can crank it up to 11.

How are things on the AMD side of the fence? I hope its gotten a lot better... more people to kill me repeatedly :D 
November 4, 2011 4:27:44 PM

Kotachi2013 said:
Hi,

I'm completely clueless when it comes to computer parts, but I have a general idea of what does what. I asked a friend to give me advice on buying parts to build a custom gaming PC, and he gave me the following:

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO REV
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600k
Graphics Card: ATI HD 6950
RAM: Kingston Hyper X OR Corsair 1600

Will this be enough to play BF3 on a medium to high setting? If you guys think anything should be changed, do tell!

Thanks!

yeah would be just enough
BTW if u want something better use a i5-2500k and a GTX 570
if u don't want overclock , get a i5-2500 , a Intel CPU with k in end means it is overclock able easily.
and if u choose a 6950 , unlock and oc it to 6970. if u don't know how to ask your friend
November 5, 2011 5:13:45 AM

^ I think his current setup would run it just fine even on ultra settings. Here's a benchie by Tom's:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...

On my setup (see signature) I get a smooth 45 fps on ultra settings. The lowest I've been down to (yet) is 39 fps. Of course, my GPU temp hits 86-88, but that's the highest its been and its a hot card anyways!

So yeah, I feel that your setup (Kotachi2013) should be fine to run the game on ultra upto a resolution of 1080. :) 
Anonymous
November 7, 2011 10:56:58 PM

My laptop: Lenovo Y470

i7 2630QM quad core (2.00ghz)
Nvidia GT 550M 1GB VRAM
8GB DDR3 RAM
500GB 7200rpm HDD
Win7 Ultimate

Runs BF3 everything high at native resolution (1366*768), AA/AF turned off, HBAO, 23-35 FPS.

My desktop: SUN Ultra 40 Workstation

AMD Opteron 2222 dual core (3.0ghz)
16GB DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon 5870 1GB VRAM
250GB 7200rpm HDD
Win7 Ultimate

Runs EVERYTHING maxed at 1920*1080. 30-60 FPS.
November 9, 2011 6:01:29 PM

For those running DX10 cards:

This is what i found on all three game modes with a overclocked 9600GT.

No prob with shadows, and i get between 30-55 fps. Some random green frame pops up sometimes, nothing big, very rare and very quick to pass by.

I play at 1024x768, so i could crank up the detail a bit.

Settings:
Textures: High
Everything else: Medium
Motion Blur: Off
Ambient occlusion: Off
MSAA: OFF
FXAA: High
Anisotropic filtering: 16x
VSYNC: ON

In the Nvidia control panel, turned Triple Buffering on, rest set to "Application settings".

Also, been having issues launching the Nvidia Control Panel from the Windows Control Panel and then using nTune. Thing just crashes. Been happening since the 285.xx drivers have been out. Found a work-around, launched the Nvidia control panel exe from C:\Windows (and searched for it). Surprisingly didn't crash when i open nTune by this method.

If anyone's been encountering this issue, use nvcplui.exe

Another thing. CPU usage seems to be high. Temps really rise on stock cooling, my CPU hits 70*C on one core (has 4) with the fan on full. A friend of mine killed his Acer Laptop's Sandy i5 with this game, he was seeing temps over 100*C.

Cheers!
November 14, 2011 6:26:53 AM

Thanks, and no other?
November 14, 2011 9:12:24 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!