How to test a motherboard

I have a K7M v1.06 motherboard. After installing a new PCI card my PC does not turn on anymore. I have tested the power supply unit and it's OK. I need info on how I could test the motherboard since I suspect it most of all.
11 answers Last reply
More about test motherboard
  1. Hey F,
    It would be easier to check everything other than the Mobo first. First off, you say you checked the PS, how many watts is it? how old? what are the voltages? Next does the PC not turn on at all, or does all the fans spin and PS start up? Does the PC speaker give any "Beeps"? No Beeps, with power to the mobo can mean Bad CPU or Mobo. Either replace the cpu with another one in same mobo, or place old cpu in working mobo system........if cpu is good, and PS is good, yes you should assume it is the mobo that is bad. Again, this is assuming there is no "beeps" from mobo. If this is a new mobo(1 year old) call tech support and see if you can get a RMA for repair or replacement. If it is older call anyway, maybe they will work with you. Good Luck
    Peace Out............tile

Keep Hope Alive!
  2. The PC is like dead: no fan rotates as if there is no power at all. Actually when I press the power button the fan makes 2-3 rounds and stops, and still no LED lights up. I tested the PS separately by shorting the 14 and 15 pin and it works.
  3. I think what Tilepusher is trying to get across to you is that your P/S may be too weak in wattage. The more hardware connect to the power supply causes a greater current draw. You never said what your hardware configuration looks like. You wouldn't pull a tractor with a volkswagon.

Tell us whats in your system and what is your P/S wattage. If you are using those (Y) connectors because your ran out of power connectors. Most likely you are in need of a stronger P/S.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
    Fisher of men
  4. No,no I've tried everything without the Ethernet and to no effect. The hardware is Asus K7M mobo with Athlon 900, TNT2 32MB, Creative Labs SB (but not sure about the model) 56k internal modem, 60GB HDD, 12x DVD, CD-R/W. PS is 185W I think.
  5. You need a stronger power supply. If your PC work before on such a low wattage P/S, then that P/S has probably seen it's last days. Get a new power supply and you should be good. Recommend at least 300 watts or better. Better (400w) if you intend on adding more hardware later.

JC-------<*){{{>{~~~~~
    Fisher of men
  6. Hey Friedrich,
    I totally agree with jc14all, get a new PS(and go big, 300+ watts). The Athlons need POWER! If you run less than 300 watts, your system may not run(just like your problem). Hey but don't take my word for it, check out the AMD website on Power Supplys. Your PS might have been fine and dandy for a old Intel P 166, but it will not cut it for a AMD Athlon. It is not how many add-on cards or devices you have at this point, you don't have the minimum wattage for just the mobo and cpu. Please get a higher power PS(hopefully AMD approved) and try again. Good Luck
    Peace Out.......tile

Keep Hope Alive!
  7. I'm not sure whether it is really 185W. I haven't checked this yet, but the machine is HP Pavilion 9780c and this is its default config, so I doubt if HP has put a lower PS than necessary. Thank you anyway
  8. Hey F,
    Don't take this the wrong way, but all OEM's, including HP, are cutting costs everywhere to sell a lower priced product with higher profit. I will say HP makes great Printers, but that is the only good thing I have to say about HP. This OEM using substandard parts is NOT limited to HP.........everyone does it! Do not assume that because it is a name brand that all the parts are top shelf, everyone has to cut cost somewhere to make a buck in this world today. By the way, did you know most OEM's do not make anything they put in their box, all they do is assemble and install software. Your welcome anyway & Good Luck
    Peace Out.........tile

Keep Hope Alive!
  9. Quite right :) the MB and the video are Asus, the soundcard is Creative Labs, the modem is Lucent, so pretty much the half PC is not HP. Anyway, I'll put a more powerful PS later, now I'll just ship the PC back to the dealer to fix the problem. Thank you all for the help.
  10. Hey F,
    What is "MADE" by "HP" in that box? You are right though, your best option is to let the dealer fix your problem. If your system is still under warranty, it is always better not to crack the case and let the dealer fix it. Good Luck and I wish I could have helped at all.
    Peace Out.......tile

Keep Hope Alive!
  11. I'll explain how to test a motherboard. But first of all, I agree that just because it's part of a name-brand system doesn't mean it's quality. In fact, there's not much quality nowadays, due to lots of competition and economical factors. If you want quality, you have to build your own system, and pay good bucks doing so! My recommendation: a motherboard with an Intel chipset, quality aluminum FULL-TOWER case (aluminum absorbs heat better), 3 or more ball-bearing fans, 350+ watt power supply with ball-bearing fans (good brands: PC Power and Cooling, Astec, and Enermax), and quality cables.

As for testing the motherboard...
    1. Find a non-conductive board to set the motherboard on. NEVER set the motherboard on aluminum foil or any other metal.

2. Wear a static discharge wrist strap or touch grounded metal to discharge any static buildup *before* touching any electrical components. Don't work on a carpetted floor if all possible. If you have to, take off your shoes and socks -- sounds dumb, but better safe than sorry.

3. Unplug the PC from the outlet. Never work on a PC while it's plugged in, even if to ensure a proper ground. If you're concerned about being properly grounded, keep in contact with another metal appliance. Again, better safe than sorry.

4. Remove the motherboard very carefully and slowly, to avoid cracking the board or smashing chips/capacitors/etc.

5. Place the motherboard on the non-conductive board.

6. Move the board close enough to the power supply so that the power supply's motherboard connector can be connected to the motherboard, but make sure not to let the motherboard touch anything besides the non-conductive board.

7. Carefully install a working video card, preferably one that displays a message at bootup. The simpler, the better. Make sure the card doesn't wobble in the slot, since there is nothing to support it.

8. Carefully hook the monitor cable to the video card, making sure not to wobble the card.

9. Install enough memory to enable the motherboard to boot. Use good, tested memory, and make sure the memory is properly seated and a good solid connection is made. A *major* problem with DIMMs is bad connections. You may need to reseat the memory a few times before successful.

10. Turn on the power supply. And pray...

If the system boots with on-screen messages, the motherboard is working, although you should do some further testing with software diagnostics and -- if you have one -- a hardware diagnostic card. Check all BIOS settings and cable connections after re-assembling the system.

If the system fails to supply power to the LEDs (power indicator lights, hard drive lights, etc.), and no on-screen messages are displayed, the motherboard may be defective. If the PC speaker is connected and you hear no beeps at all, the motherboard is most likely dead. If you do hear beeps with a PC speaker hooked up, the motherboard still has life in it; you'll need to use a BIOS POST beep code reference to find out what the motherboard is trying to tell you (ones for Award, AMI, etc. BIOSes can be downloaded off the Internet).

If the system fails to work properly while testing the motherboard, try the following:
    * Reseating the video card and memory.
    * Checking all jumpers, switches, etc. Refer to the motherboard manual if you have one.
    * Making sure all the cables are connected properly.
    * Reinstalling the CPU. Check the pins to make sure none are bent or missing.
    * Checking for any loose metal parts that may be shorting the motherboard circuitry (screws, a standoff, etc.).
    * Checking for cracks or other physical defects.
    * Trying another video card, memory, and/or power supply.
    * Praying.

There are electronic tests that can be done, but I'm not skilled enough to tell you to do that, so I won't.

Good luck.

HUGE savings on name-brand clothing and merchandise at http://www.denasresaleshop.com/
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards