Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP wont shut down

Last response: in Windows XP
May 27, 2005 4:44:35 PM

I just formated and clean installed Windows XP Pro SP2 and all the latest updates from Microsoft on an old Asus A7V333. Everything works fine, except that 8 out of 10 times the PC wont shut down, it stays on the "Windows is shutting down" message forever. What can be causing this?
Is there a log I can check to see what program is preventing XP from shutting down normally?

More about : windows wont shut

May 27, 2005 5:43:25 PM

Check your antivirus.. Just do a check of what programs are running and that your user account has admin privs... it might be a 3rd party piece of software that won't shutdown unless you have admin rights.
May 28, 2005 2:31:39 AM

I have seen this happen on a laptop with a new WinXP Pro SP2 installation. Same thing as you described would happen. This particular machine did not seem to like SP2. After uninstalling SP2, I encountered no problems. Still, this should not happen.

In my situation, this particular laptop was using a Ghosted image that was used on 31 other laptops of the same model and hardware configuration. This was the only one experiencing that problem when SP2 was installed. I would venture to guess that the problem was actually hardware-related. This might be the case for you too.
!